Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#80329 - 05/14/03 08:32 PM career pathing
donnajl33 Offline
New Poster
Does anyone do career pathing above entry level positions? Our bank is looking to have each job title with different levels. e.g. Loan Officer I or II. But with such a small institution as ours, you do the same job if you were a I or a II. To me it seems impossible to different iate the levels. I would like to see experience, but we have had experienced people who are here forever just riding it out until they retire and not doing as much as a less experienced employee. What I think is pay what they are worth and forget it at this level. Yet upper management still wants career path. Any advice.

Return to Top
Human Resources
#80330 - 05/15/03 01:08 PM Re: career pathing
complyguy Offline
Gold Star
complyguy
PA
donnaj - Are you sure you don't work at my bank? It sounds an awful lot like our situation. I, too, am campaigning for something more resembling pay grades and merit increases, because morale and motivation suffer in this atmosphere. I will be watching for responses from the wiser heads of this forum.

Return to Top
#80331 - 05/15/03 01:53 PM Re: career pathing
Kansayaku Offline
Diamond Poster
metsuretsu
Many times the main differences (other than the possible years of experience) would be the level of supervision required and possibly the extent to which they plan out and create their own work programs.

Return to Top
#80332 - 05/15/03 03:47 PM Re: career pathing
I Wear Many Hats Offline
Platinum Poster
I Wear Many Hats
the beautiful state of ME
Career pathing is something we have struggled with as well. Even in the lower ranks, if you set out a path for a teller to become a CSR and then they take the classes and get the cross training and already to move up -- of course there are no openings, so they wait a while and then go to another bank so we have trained a great employee - but for someone else! On the loan officer/branch manager side, the bank I used to work at differentiated those positions by experience and size of loan portfolio. So a more junior lender would simply by definition have a smaller portfolio of customers so would be in a Loan Officer I category for example, for branch managers, the grades were based on the asset size of their branch - that might be a place to start.

Opinions are mine and mine alone.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z, Gayla Sherry