Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#80496 - 05/15/03 03:04 PM Employee embezzlement
Anonymous
Unregistered

We had to file a SAR on a former employee recently (bank took a big financial loss also). Do we need to notify our regulator also? I believe all we are required to do is file a SAR but I want make sure I'm not missing anything. Local authorities were not contacted. This has been very discreet.

Return to Top
General Discussion
#80497 - 05/15/03 03:17 PM Re: Employee embezzlement
SMQ, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
SMQ, CRCM
Between the lines
Does your examiner check in with you periodically? If so, it should come up in the conversation. They really don't like to be surprised when there is a "big financial loss" due to insider abuse. They will see it anyway when they get ready to examine you because they generally check to see what SARs have been filed.

Return to Top
#80498 - 05/15/03 03:23 PM Re: Employee embezzlement
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
A couple of things to consider - make sure your bonding company is aware of the loss. Second, if this is a "big financial loss", I don't think you have a choice to not report it to the FBI. Bank embezzlement is a Federal crime and those that help cover it up could possibly be indicted as accomplices or on conspiracy charges. Your regulators are not going to be happy either.

Return to Top
#80499 - 05/15/03 03:32 PM Re: Employee embezzlement
Kaos Offline
100 Club
Kaos
We have had 2 of these in the past. The examiners wanted to see the complete file. (We kept well documented files on each) They were also very interested in any breakdown of controlling factors that may have prevented it. Were changes made to keep it from happening again? Etc. In both instances we notified our local FBI office and filed an SAR. They were below our deductible, so our insurance company was not notified.

Return to Top
#80500 - 05/15/03 04:12 PM Re: Employee embezzlement
WildTurkey Offline
Platinum Poster
WildTurkey
Down South, USA
Quote:

.... Bank embezzlement is a Federal crime and those that help cover it up could possibly be indicted as accomplices or on conspiracy charges. ....

As I understand Federal law, ALL losses caused by employees MUST be reported to the FRB. Period. There is no discretion allowed. Of course not all reports lead to prosecutions, but that is the FRB's call.

Reports filed with the FRB are communicated back to your local FBI office, and in the case of large losses (ones likely to be prosecuted) it will useful to communicate locally with the FBI, so that they get notified sooner than the channel via the FRB would allow.

Return to Top
#80501 - 05/15/03 04:52 PM Re: Employee embezzlement
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Former employee? What kind of financial loss? Is it as the subject title suggests? If so, follow the previously given advice. I'd hate to explain to an examiner (I don't look very good in stripes) why we didn't bother to report "embezzlement" other than through a SAR.

Return to Top
#80502 - 05/15/03 06:14 PM Re: Employee embezzlement
Lestie G Offline

Power Poster
Near the Land of Enchantment
Call your regulator. Soon. You'll find that they're really there to help you. If several agencies get involved in investigating this matter, your regulator can protect you also.

Return to Top
#80503 - 05/15/03 08:52 PM Re: Employee embezzlement
Anonymous
Unregistered

If the "financial loss" is an embezzlement or any other suspected criminal violations, you need to file a Report of Apparent Crime form with the FBI, FDIC, and the US Attorney in your district. This form should be filed no later than thirty days following the discovery.

Return to Top
#80504 - 05/16/03 03:22 AM Re: Employee embezzlement
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Can you provide the site that indicates that a Report of Apparent Crime must be filed. If I remember correctly, this was an FDIC form that preceded the modern day SAR

Return to Top
#80505 - 05/16/03 11:28 AM Re: Employee embezzlement
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
Anon,
Please consider rlcarey's comment...the addressees you mention, as well as the name of the form, indicate you are looking at a form that is obsolete. You can find the current form, a Suspcious Activity Report here:
http://www.fincen.gov/f9022-47r.pdf

After July 1, you will use a slightly revised version that is also on the FinCEN web site.

Return to Top
#80506 - 05/16/03 11:50 AM Re: Employee embezzlement
DebNP Offline
100 Club
DebNP
Eastern PA and NJ
You mentioned that the loss was large - some questions I would expect an examiner (and your Board for that matter) to ask are: How did it hsppen?, What are you doing to make sure it doesn't happen again? i.e. What new controls, security procedures, etc. have you implemented? How are they working? Is someone making sure they are working?, etc. I have always found that if you have been pro-active, i.e. addressed the problem and its underlying cause, it seems to play out better with the examiner, at least in the long run.

Return to Top