*ALABAMA ... Was the first place to have 9-1-1, started in 1968.
* ALASKA .. One out of every 64 people has a pilot's license.
* ARIZONA .. Is the only state in the continental U.S. that doesn't follow Daylight Savings Time.
* ARKANSAS ... Has the only active diamond mine in the U.S.
* CALIFORNIA . Its economy is so large that if it were a country, it would rank seventh in the entire world.
* COLORADO ... In 1976 it became the only state to turn down the Olympics.
* CONNECTICUT ... The Frisbee was invented here at Yale University.
* DELAWARE . Has more scientists and engineers than any other state.
* FLORIDA .... At 759 square miles, Jacksonville is the U.S.'s largest city.
* GEORGIA .. It was here, in 1886, that pharmacist John Pemberton made the first vat of Coca-Cola.
* HAWAII .. Hawaiians live, on average, five years longer than residents in any other state.
* IDAHO .. TV was invented in Rigby, Idaho, in 1922.
* ILLINOIS .. The Chicago River is dyed green every St. Patrick's Day.
* INDIANA .. Home to Santa Claus, Indiana, which gets a half million letters to Santa every year.
* IOWA ... Winnebagos get their name from Winnebago County. Also, it is the only state that begins with two vowels.
* KANSAS .. Liberal, Kansas, has an exact replica of the house in The Wizard of Oz.
* KENTUCKY .. Has more than $6 billion in gold underneath Fort Knox.
* LOUISIANA ... Has parishes instead of counties because they were originally Spanish church units.
* MAINE .. It's so big, it covers as many square miles as the other five New England states combined.
* MARYLAND ... The Oujia board was created in Baltimore in 1892.
* MASSACHUSETTS ... The Fig Newton is named after Newton, Massachusetts.
* MICHIGAN .. Fremont, home to Gerber, is the baby food capital of the world.
* MINNESOTA ... Bloomington's Mall of America is so big, if you spent 10 minutes in each store, you'd be there nearly four days.
* MISSISSIPPI ... President Teddy Roosevelt refused to shoot a bear here ... that's how the teddy bear got its name.
* MISSOURI ... Is the birthplace of the ice cream cone.
* MONTANA .. A sapphire from Montana is in the Crown Jewels of England.
* NEBRASKA .. More triplets are born here than in any other state.
* NEVADA .... Has more hotel rooms than any other place in the world.
* NEW HAMPSHIRE ... Birthplace of Tupperware, invented in 1938 by Earl Tupper.
* NEW JERSEY ... Has the most shopping malls in one area in the world.
* NEW MEXICO .. Smokey the Bear was rescued from a 1950 forest fire here.
* NEW YORK ... Is home to the nation's oldest cattle ranch, started in 1747 in Montauk.
* NORTH CAROLINA .. Home of the first Krispy Kreme doughnut.
* NORTH DAKOTA ... Rigby, North Dakota, is the exact geographic center of North America.
* OHIO ... The hot dog was invented here in 1900.
* OKLAHOMA ... The grounds of the state capital are covered by operating oil wells.
* OREGON .. Has the most ghost towns in the country.
* PENNSYLVANIA ... The smiley,
was first used in 1980 by computer scientists at Carnegie Mellon University.
* RHODE ISLAND . The nation's oldest bar, the White Horse Tavern, opened here in 1673.
* SOUTH CAROLINA ... Sumter County is home to the world's largest gingko farm.
* SOUTH DAKOTA ... Is the only state that's never had an earthquake.
* TENNESSEE ... Nashville's Grand Ole Opry is the longest running live radio show in the world.
* TEXAS ... Dr. Pepper was invented in Waco back in 1885.
* UTAH ... The first Kentucky Fried Chicken restaurant opened here in 1952.
* VERMONT ... Montpelier is the only state capital without a McDonald's.
* VIRGINIA ... Home of the world's largest office building ... The Pentagon.
* WASHINGTON .... Seattle has twice as many college graduates as any other state.
* WASHINGTON D.C. ... Was the first planned capital in the world.
* WEST VIRGINIA ... Had the world's first brick paved street, Summers Street, laid in Charleston in 1870
* WISCONSIN .. The ice cream sundae was invented here in 1881 to get around Blue Laws prohibiting ice cream from being sold on Sundays
*WYOMING...WAS THE FIRST STATE TO ALLOW WOMEN TO VOTE.