Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#8051 - 12/19/01 07:41 PM SAR Reporting to Board
La. Lady Offline
Diamond Poster
La. Lady
When reporting to the Board of Directors that a suspicious activity report was filed, do you give the NAME of the person or business that the report was filed on. My report is made in writing to the Board of Directors. I always give the nature of the suspicion, but never the name on the report. The only person going into the meeting knowing the name is the Bank President. I am sure that he give out the name if asked.. But I am wondering if the rest of you release the name in writing....

Thanks

Return to Top
General Discussion
#8052 - 12/19/01 07:59 PM Re: SAR Reporting to Board
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
I make a point of not releasing the name at the board meeting. I explained this to the directors by discussing the non-disclosure rules for SARs and told them I didn't want a name recorded in the minutes, which might be subpoenaed for other reasons.

I also told them that if they didn't know the name, they couldn't slip and mention the SAR at an inappropriate time or place.

Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#8053 - 12/19/01 08:02 PM Re: SAR Reporting to Board
SMQ, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
SMQ, CRCM
Between the lines
Absolutely not!! I explain the circumstances and the amount of the loss to the bank, if any.

BUT, as you know, to every "absolute" there is an exception. If the SAR were on an employee or ex-employee, the board would already be familiar with the situation and then the name would probably be mentioned in the meeting, but not in the written report to the board. As you recall, you have to file a SAR on an employee for any amount.

------------------
Opinions expressed are not necessarily those of my employer.

Return to Top
#8054 - 12/19/01 08:35 PM Re: SAR Reporting to Board
NancyF Offline
100 Club
NancyF
PA
I give the Board a copy of the SAR, however the customer name is not documented in the minutes, only the reporting of the SAR.

Return to Top
#8055 - 12/19/01 09:09 PM Re: SAR Reporting to Board
NotALawyer Offline
Gold Star
NotALawyer
We have not released any names to the borad either verbally or in writing. However, we have not had anything come up requiring filing on bank employees. The board has been more concerned with amounts, details of the situation, and what managment has done/is doing to help prevent similar events in the future.

------------------
---------------------------------------
Robert Marx
Opinions stated are not necessarily that of my employer.

Return to Top
#8056 - 12/19/01 10:01 PM Re: SAR Reporting to Board
La. Lady Offline
Diamond Poster
La. Lady
Thanks everyone....I haven't mentioned the name either, except for the Bank President.......I shutter to think....after all everyone knows the confidentiality that these Board Members have.

Return to Top
#8057 - 06/06/03 07:52 PM Re: SAR Reporting to Board
drvmecrazy Offline
100 Club
I have notified the BOD of initial SAR filings. Am I also supposed to notify them of subsequent filings on the same individual?

Return to Top
#8058 - 06/06/03 08:00 PM Re: SAR Reporting to Board
1111 Offline
Platinum Poster
Yes, all SAR filings must be reported to the BOD.

Return to Top
#8059 - 06/06/03 08:06 PM Re: SAR Reporting to Board
drvmecrazy Offline
100 Club
Thank you

Return to Top
#8060 - 06/06/03 08:29 PM Re: SAR Reporting to Board
Anonymous
Unregistered

Do any of you report your SARs to your State regulators (i.e., send them a copy), in addition to Fincen?

Return to Top
#8061 - 06/06/03 08:33 PM Re: SAR Reporting to Board
yy2say Offline
Gold Star
yy2say
PA
Quote:

Yes, all SAR filings must be reported to the BOD.

To the BOD or a committee of the BOD. We send all ours to the Audit Committee and have had no problems.

Return to Top