Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#8083 - 12/20/01 03:48 PM Nigerian scams
Colleen Offline
100 Club
Have many of your institutions received a fax from an individual of the Federal Government of Nigeria Contracts Review Panel requesting assistance to get money out of the country? I don't know whether to contact authorities. Normally I've seen these letters go to individuals, not a financial institution. Any thoughts?

Return to Top
General Discussion
#8084 - 12/21/01 05:11 AM Re: Nigerian scams
redsfan Offline
Power Poster
redsfan
The Pennant Race
It's another in a series of scams established by Nigerian nationals.

Return to Top
#8085 - 12/21/01 05:18 AM Re: Nigerian scams
downstown Offline
Gold Star
St. Louis, MO
Our institution has received several of these. We are regulated by the OTS, which has issued guidance that requires us to file a SAR, notify the OTS and notify the Secret Service whenever we receive this type of letter. So everytime we received on of these faxes, we complete a SAR and notify the appropriate authorities.

------------------
Ron Downs
Opinions stated are not necessarily those of my employer.

Return to Top
#8086 - 12/21/01 05:28 AM Re: Nigerian scams
Don_Narup Offline

Power Poster
Las Vegas Nevada
I received a Fax and a letter addressed to me personally, and I am not with a bank. I posted a message asking if others were receiving them, as I thought these folks may be taking our names from this forum. No one else thought this was happening. This is the only place I have my name, company and address listed.

My past banking experience is the letters were addressed to institutions and not individuals. The letter I received even had an e-mail address to respond to.

The first one of these I ever received was in 1968 at bank here in California. So, the scam has been around a long time.

Local FBI here in San Diego say we are being inundated with these letters and had no interest in looking at another one.

[This message has been edited by Don Narup (edited 12-20-2001).]

Return to Top
#8087 - 12/20/01 06:04 PM Re: Nigerian scams
Colleen Offline
100 Club
We are regulated by the FDIC. Anyone know is there is guidance by the FDIC similar to the OTC

Return to Top
#8088 - 12/20/01 07:42 PM Re: Nigerian scams
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
Colleen, I thought about spoon feeding you the requested guidance by posting a link to the FIL here, but decided the learning experience would be worthwhile instead. Jump over to the FDIC website and enter the term "Nigerian" in the "Quick Search" box and click "Find It". The first result in the list is FIL-64-2000 which has the same guidance that Ron posted from the OTS. Good luck.

------------------
Jim Bedsole, CRCM, CBA, CFSA

Opinions expressed are my own, and do not necessarily reflect those of my employer.

Return to Top
#8089 - 12/20/01 08:37 PM Re: Nigerian scams
La. Lady Offline
Diamond Poster
La. Lady
Jim,

Colleen and I will both learn....thanks for the information ........

Kathy

------------------
The views expressed, herein, are not necessarily those of my employer

Return to Top
#8090 - 12/20/01 08:58 PM Re: Nigerian scams
Anonymous
Unregistered

If you go to the Secret Service web page and search for Nigerian fraud, you'll find an entire page dedicated to it. In it, you'll find instructions for how the agency would like to be notified of these faxes. If I remember correctly, they'd like you to fax the letter to them at a special number if no one has been financially victimized. If someone (bank or customer) has been victimized, the page instructs you to call your Secret Service office.

Return to Top
#8091 - 12/20/01 10:12 PM Re: Nigerian scams
Bear Collector, CRCM Offline
Diamond Poster
Bear Collector, CRCM
District of Columbia
I also received such an e-mail here at the bank. I turned it over to our Security Department. I thought it was very strange that someone would target Bankers and those in the financial industry who would be the most likely to be aware of such schemes. Maybe it was a TEST to see if we knew what to do!?
Leslie

Return to Top
#8092 - 12/24/01 11:22 AM Re: Nigerian scams
Dana Turner Offline

Platinum Poster
Dana Turner
Pipe Creek TX - U.S.
Folks:

You'd think that -- with a company name like "Security Education Systems" -- I wouldn't get any of these scams. I have several email addresses and a fax machine -- and I've received these "offers" via fax and every email address that I maintain -- except my BOL address. I've even received "follow-up" telephone calls from offenders.

Nigeria isn't the only country from which these things are generated. Any country that's been involved in a civil war may be used. You'd think that NOBODY would ever fall for one of these scams. But the faxes and emails continue BECAUSE THEY WORK.

------------------
Dana Turner
Security Education Systems
danaturner@bankersonline.com
830-535-6500
Opinions expressed are always those of my employer.

Return to Top
#8093 - 12/24/01 01:05 PM Re: Nigerian scams
Hussam Al-Abed Offline
Platinum Poster
Abu Dhabi / U.A.E
Nigerian Scam Letter Gallery

This Gallery exhibits some actual scam letters which was received directly from Nigerian scam artist

.http://www.quatloos.com/cm-niger/cm-niger.htm

[This message has been edited by Hussam Al-Abed (edited 12-24-2001).]

Return to Top
#8094 - 02/01/02 04:30 PM Re: Nigerian scams
1 Peter 5:7 Offline
Diamond Poster
1 Peter 5:7
TX
I've seen so many of these Nigerian scam emails and faxes that they're now like junk mail. I'm reluctant to keep filing SARs. Thoughts, anyone?

[This message has been edited by Ken Holmes (edited 02-01-2002).]

Return to Top
#8095 - 02/01/02 06:22 PM Re: Nigerian scams
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
I believe they are junk mail and I don't believe anything will be done with the SARs filed on them.

Personally it is a waste of everyone's time.

------------------
Andy Zavoina
Opinions stated are not necessarily that of my employer.

Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top