Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#81369 - 05/19/03 08:20 PM Emancipated minor
AnnL Offline
Gold Star
AnnL
Western PA
Has anyone had any experience with Emancipated Minors? I have a branch manger who has opened an account for a 16 year old who is an emancipated minor (we usually require that a parent or guardian be a joint account owner for minors to have an account). Is the emancipated minor viewed as an adult under the law and able to enter into a legally binding contract etc?

Return to Top
General Discussion
#81370 - 05/19/03 08:37 PM Re: Emancipated minor
SMQ, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
SMQ, CRCM
Between the lines
It is my understanding that if he has been emancipated, he should have documents to support this. Yes, a minor may have his minorities removed by the court system. In some states, if he is married, this is automatic (Louisiana).

Return to Top
#81371 - 05/19/03 08:42 PM Re: Emancipated minor
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
I think the correct answer is, check your state laws as conditions and requirements can vary. In Texas, that minor could open an account anyway. If the parents later request to be on it, that can be a different story.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#81372 - 05/20/03 01:07 PM Re: Emancipated minor
complyguy Offline
Gold Star
complyguy
PA
See my link to PA juveile law in the PA forum.

Return to Top
#81373 - 08/04/05 08:15 PM Re: Emancipated minor
Anonymous
Unregistered

My 16yrold stepdaughter now lives with us (8months) and no longer wishes to continue the mandatory weekend visitation with her biological mother. Does she petition the court for emanciaption or something else?

Return to Top
#81374 - 08/04/05 08:44 PM Re: Emancipated minor
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
This is not the proper cite (nor is the internet) to get advice regarding this issue. You need to contact legal counsel.

Return to Top
#81375 - 08/04/05 08:46 PM Re: Emancipated minor
Rocky P Offline
Power Poster
Florida
This might not be the best forum for legal assistance. Emancipation is a huge step, and carries burdens beyond what a 16 year old might be prepared for. Like others mentioned, it's a matter of state law, and really the minor may not be prepared to make all the decesions as an adult. It's generally not reversable.

Her best step might be to petition the courts if she feels strongly about the visits, or arrange a different place.

Return to Top