Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#813482 - 09/12/07 12:36 PM Putin Dissolves Government?
Beige Offline
Power Poster
Beige
Fox News

Russian news agencies cite the Kremlin as saying that President Vladimir Putin dissolved the government Wednesday.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#813614 - 09/12/07 02:09 PM Re: Putin Dissolves Government? Beige
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
Parliamentarian govt is messy sometimes; gotta keep your eyes on these former KGB guys

Return to Top
#813618 - 09/12/07 02:12 PM Re: Putin Dissolves Government? Pale Rider
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Seriously. What is this guy up to? And what is up with the fighter jets flying in non-Russian airspace??

Return to Top
#813620 - 09/12/07 02:13 PM Re: Putin Dissolves Government? Pale Rider
doubledown21 Offline
100 Club
Planet Earth
Russia is a perfect example of why democracy isn't right for every country. I guarantee most Russians aren't too worried about this. They like a Tsar, and Putin has, for the most part, been a good leader.

Return to Top
#813661 - 09/12/07 02:49 PM Re: Putin Dissolves Government? doubledown21
Quadspapa Offline
Power Poster
Quadspapa
Quadrupletville, Texas
The MSM is slow to report on this "BIG" situation that will affect us in the future. I don't trust Putin at all, especially with his beady eyes and KGB background. He is trying to restore Russia as a superpower......and I don't like him flying their bombers close to our airspace, Sweden's, and Japan. What's he trying to prove?

Return to Top
#813668 - 09/12/07 02:53 PM Re: Putin Dissolves Government? Quadspapa
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Straw and I were discussing this in a thread some months ago. There seems to be a historical paranoia and inferiority complex among Russian pols, and they distrust the west the way we distrust Putin. He is flexing his muscle because he wants global respect.

Return to Top
#813679 - 09/12/07 03:02 PM Re: Putin Dissolves Government? TheManofSteel
doubledown21 Offline
100 Club
Planet Earth
You're definitely on point with the historical paranoia Fella. But from their point of view, it's justified, as they've been invaded by the West several times, albeit unsuccessfully.

Putin is flexing to demonstrate to the rest of the world that Russia has returned as a global player.

Return to Top
#813694 - 09/12/07 03:09 PM Re: Putin Dissolves Government? doubledown21
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Exactly. Petro dollars are driving the Russian econmomy, allowing military spending increases. Russia has always equated military might to political might and their flexing military muscle is intended to gain further respect on the world stage.

Also partly exlains Russian opposition to US positions on some key matters i.e. Iran, North Korea.

Return to Top
#813704 - 09/12/07 03:13 PM Re: Putin Dissolves Government? Quadspapa
FBH Offline
Power Poster
FBH
The Land of Tax Free Shopping!
Originally Posted By: Wacokid
The MSM is slow to report on this "BIG" situation that will affect us in the future. I don't trust Putin at all, especially with his beady eyes and KGB background. He is trying to restore Russia as a superpower......and I don't like him flying their bombers close to our airspace, Sweden's, and Japan. What's he trying to prove?

They're letting the world know they're back in the superpower business. It's no different than us parking 3 carrier groups of the shore of Iran. Well, except that we're the good guys...

Return to Top
#813709 - 09/12/07 03:18 PM Re: Putin Dissolves Government? FBH
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
don't forget the new FOAB they unveiled yesterday...most powerful non-nuclear device ever made.

Return to Top
#813720 - 09/12/07 03:28 PM Re: Putin Dissolves Government? FBH
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Originally Posted By: Fightin' BlueHen

They're letting the world know they're back in the superpower business. It's no different than us parking 3 carrier groups of the shore of Iran. Well, except that we're the good guys...

Exactly.

My hope is that we can continue to play nice with Russia, and get some help being the world police!

Return to Top
#813731 - 09/12/07 03:36 PM Re: Putin Dissolves Government? B_F
Quadspapa Offline
Power Poster
Quadspapa
Quadrupletville, Texas
Its just a continuing saga of spending their wealth and economy more on military goods instead of people.....guns vs. butter

Return to Top
#813971 - 09/12/07 06:36 PM Re: Putin Dissolves Government? Quadspapa
doubledown21 Offline
100 Club
Planet Earth
Originally Posted By: Wacokid
Its just a continuing saga of spending their wealth and economy more on military goods instead of people.....guns vs. butter

That's because at least in military spending they can guarantee where most of the money goes. In social programs, it mysteriously vanishes, coincidentally at the same time someone involved in the project gets a new Boomer (BMW) and an upgraded dacha....

Return to Top