If anybody wants to see her, here is Brandy:

Tazmanian Brandy

Return to Top
#811204 - 09/07/07 03:40 PM Re: Are we nuts? Skittles
Sing A Little Offline
Power Poster
Sing A Little
CA
Awwww...she's so cute! I can't believe that woman said she was "ruining their lives" because she was on the furniture. She's obviously not a true animal lover...she just gave up on her, how about some training?

Return to Top
#811245 - 09/07/07 04:05 PM Re: Are we nuts? Sing A Little
doodles Offline
Gold Star
doodles
PA
Whats furniture (and clothes for that matter) without a little dog and kitty hair on them? Boring. Good luck Skittles with your decision and newest family member. Keep us posted.

Return to Top
#811301 - 09/07/07 04:30 PM Re: Are we nuts? doodles
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
How cute, Skittles. The kong suggestion is great-we put a few pieces of her food in there, stuff it with Peanut butter, then freeze it. Keeps her busy...

Return to Top
#811413 - 09/07/07 05:47 PM Re: Are we nuts? Sing A Little
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Mental stimulation, huh..okay,that explains it...Blue (the heeler) stares SO HARD at me trying to send me mental messages, she wears herself out...I got it now! LOL!

Oh! There were more posts I missed when I first typed this..she's adorable Skittles!
Last edited by RR joker; 09/07/07 05:49 PM.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#811431 - 09/07/07 05:57 PM Re: Are we nuts? RR Joker
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
She's pretty! "Ruining their lives..." BAH! There's just no accounting for some people.

Anyway - my hubby's heeler mix pup (6 mo) is crated during the day when we're at work and she literally EXPLODES out of it in the afternoons! The first order of business is usually a 10 or 15 minute game of speed-fetch (or sometimes she just runs a few laps around the backyard) and she's typically controlable after that. She'll also watch TV. I think the point I'm trying to get at it the old equine standby of "put the feet to work and the brain will follow." Give her a task or game or something to channel all that energy into pretty intensely for a few minutes and see if she doesn't settle right down after that.

Oh, and
Quote:
he had a sheltie one time that was herding a small group of girl scouts and they were afraid of him. They were selling cookies
LOL!!!! That's got to be one of the funniest visuals EVER!

Return to Top
#811513 - 09/07/07 06:58 PM Re: Are we nuts? RR Becca
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Running and riding everywhere ...
I agree with Becca "put the feet to work and the brain will follow". Play fetch or a game to get rid of the initial energy then try some obedience training or agility. My rat terrier was much better once we started agility. He'd even lay around while we were watching tv. I can tell when I haven't 'played' with him enough...he'll start tossing his toys in the air and then trying to catch them.

Return to Top
#811530 - 09/07/07 07:07 PM Re: Are we nuts? RR Jen
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
Originally Posted By: RR J.L.J.
I agree with Becca "put the feet to work and the brain will follow". Play fetch or a game to get rid of the initial energy then try some obedience training or agility. My rat terrier was much better once we started agility. He'd even lay around while we were watching tv. I can tell when I haven't 'played' with him enough...he'll start tossing his toys in the air and then trying to catch them.

LOL...My pup does the same thing, JLJ...we still have to keep her restricted as she is still recovering from the hip replacement, so it has been tough...

Return to Top
#811755 - 09/07/07 09:14 PM Re: Are we nuts? TB 12
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Running and riding everywhere ...
ugh...I cant imagine 'restricting' Pete. He'd have to be sedated.

Return to Top
#812009 - 09/10/07 01:23 PM Re: Are we nuts? - Update RR Jen
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Well, things have gone very well with Brandy. She is a doll and very, very sweet. Our basenji, Mandy, is still having issues. Mandy's temperament is not the best. Although Brandy is 8 years old, she is still lightning fast and put's Attitude to shame. She is tiny compared to our other greyhound.

Speaking of Attitude, he is at the vet's this morning. When we went to Indiana last weekend he fell twice and has hurt his back. It's not getting any better and Bill and I are very worried about the big guy. If anyone could say a prayer for him it would be greatly appreciated.

Return to Top
#812037 - 09/10/07 01:49 PM Re: Are we nuts? - Update Skittles
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
Good news with Brandy...my prayers go to you and Attitude, Skittles...hang in there..

Return to Top
#812314 - 09/10/07 06:14 PM Re: Are we nuts? - Update TB 12
Sandy Beech Offline
Power Poster
Sandy Beech
^i^
Duchess, i hope attitude will be okay. prayers from New England!

Return to Top
#812810 - 09/11/07 02:47 PM Re: Are we nuts? RR Joker
hmdagal Offline
Power Poster
hmdagal
Brandy is beautiful. She may just need a little more exercise than she's been getting.

Originally Posted By: RR joker
Mine herds me...everyday when I get home..she pushes me to the bedroom to change into my barn clothes..then pushes me all the way to the barn. She's very demanding about getting what she wants and all but speaks English..I think it frustrates her that she can't quite master that!

I read an article last week about a woman in California who trains service dogs and part of the training is to teach them to read signs. She has several signs that she uses with her pets (walk, play, food, etc) that they use to tell her what they want.

Return to Top
#812839 - 09/11/07 03:11 PM Re: Are we nuts? hmdagal
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Well, my husband walked the legs off of Brandy last night. AND she didn't jump up on the bed before we turned off the lights like she has been. Maybe she's learning that her bed is on the floor.

As for Attitude - he is now on steroids along with another medication to help his stomach. He has lost 10 pounds in the last 10 days. I did get him to eat some food last night - I held the bowl up under him and he really chowed down. We had a can of food left that was a 'specialty' food for dogs with stomach problems. I think I'm going to go to the vet's on the way home and pick up 6 more cans. Hopefully he'll be feeling better soon.

Return to Top
#812848 - 09/11/07 03:17 PM Re: Are we nuts? Skittles
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
FWIW, Skittles, I found that when you have sick or injured animals, they often like some company when they eat. If you just plop the food down, they may ignore it, but if you sit there with them and "help" they tend to eat. I guess it's just comforting to them.

Return to Top
#812984 - 09/11/07 05:20 PM Re: Are we nuts? MichelleDawn
Sandy Beech Offline
Power Poster
Sandy Beech
^i^
Good news about Attitude, Skittles!!

Return to Top
#815057 - 09/14/07 12:03 PM Please pray for my dog. Sandy Beech
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Attitude is back at the vet's this morning. He's not getting any better and now they think he might have a broken bone in his back. We are very upset and concerned for this big love bug. Any thoughts or prayers would be greatly appreciated.

Return to Top
#815112 - 09/14/07 01:00 PM Re: Please pray for my dog. Skittles
Beige Offline
Power Poster
Beige
Oh my goodness - many prayers Skittles!!!!

Return to Top
#815159 - 09/14/07 01:34 PM Re: Please pray for my dog. Beige
Sandy Beech Offline
Power Poster
Sandy Beech
^i^
prayers and only good things headed your way skittles.

Return to Top
#815191 - 09/14/07 01:54 PM Re: Please pray for my dog. Sandy Beech
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Hooray - it's not a broken bone. Attitude is down about 15 pounds, which makes the calcification on his spine look more pronounced. He is being put on pain killers and an antibiotic and being sent home. He should feel better, which means he will start eating again. He also has a calcified disc, which may mean pain killers for the rest of his life - but we can live with that.

Thanks to all of you for being there for me. I don't know what I'd do without you guys.

Return to Top
#815194 - 09/14/07 01:57 PM Re: Please pray for my dog. Skittles
Sandy Beech Offline
Power Poster
Sandy Beech
^i^
thank cod!!! great news!!

Return to Top
#815224 - 09/14/07 02:08 PM Re: Please pray for my dog. Sandy Beech
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
I am so relieved for you. Give him a puppy kiss on the nose for me.

Return to Top
#815706 - 09/14/07 06:40 PM Re: Please pray for my dog. MichelleDawn
Sing A Little Offline
Power Poster
Sing A Little
CA
That is great that Attitude is ok and gets to come home I can tell you from personal experience that califications can be painful, so I'm glad that he's going to have some meds to help him out.

It's great to know that we have a place where all of us animal lovers can get together and support each other and our pets.

Return to Top
#815779 - 09/14/07 07:09 PM Re: Please pray for my dog. Sing A Little
Bagweaver Offline
Diamond Poster
SW GA
A place for animal lovers who aren't pet owners, unfortunately. When I retire . . . when I retire . . .

Return to Top
#815788 - 09/14/07 07:17 PM Re: Please pray for my dog. Bagweaver
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
Great news Skittles! So happy to hear it.

Return to Top
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett