BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#814682 - 09/13/07 06:21 PM My foster puppy
Beige Offline
Power Poster
Beige
My foster puppies went in today to get fixed. I just got a call from the lady in charge on the program that Graham passed away after surgery. Apparently they set him down on the floor and he just fell over. They tried to revive him for 7 1/2 minutes. I am so sad right now. I just keep crying. He was so crazy!!! He'd play and wrestle and was just so darn cute!!! I am really going to miss him!!!

Return to Top
#814683 - 09/13/07 06:23 PM Re: My foster puppy Beige
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
I am sooooo sorry to hear this...this is the first time I've heard of one being lost from that surgery...you must be in shock...I'm sooo sorry.

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#814684 - 09/13/07 06:23 PM Re: My foster puppy Beige
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Honey, I am so sorry for you. That's just heartbreaking. I'm always a wreck when my animals (or animals I'm attached to at the shelter) have surgery because sometimes they just don't ever wake up. You are in my thoughts.

Return to Top
#814691 - 09/13/07 06:31 PM Re: My foster puppy MichelleDawn
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
Wow, I'm so sorry! My girl went in today to be spayed, too. They called me at lunch to let me know she did just fine and was starting to wake up...guess we shouldn't take anything for granted. ((((hugs))))

Return to Top
#814698 - 09/13/07 06:37 PM Re: My foster puppy RR Becca
MadisonCali Offline
Power Poster
SS, that's just horrible news!!!
I am so sorry!
Last edited by MadisonCali; 09/13/07 06:38 PM.

Return to Top
#814708 - 09/13/07 06:47 PM Re: My foster puppy MadisonCali
Sing A Little Offline
Power Poster
Sing A Little
CA
SS I am so sorry to hear that, but it sounds like they did everything they could to save him. Even though it was short, you gave Graham a great life and a loving home. Take care! ((((hugs))))

Return to Top
#814710 - 09/13/07 06:49 PM Re: My foster puppy MadisonCali
hmdagal Offline
Power Poster
hmdagal
I'm so sorry to hear that. I've fostered many dogs, and it's always hard when they leave, but I can't imagine losing one so unexpectedly.

Return to Top
#814741 - 09/13/07 07:29 PM Re: My foster puppy hmdagal
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
I am so sorry to hear that, SS....it is heartbreaking...

Return to Top
#814787 - 09/13/07 08:10 PM Re: My foster puppy TB 12
corkygirl Offline
Power Poster
middle of the country
Oh SS, I'm so sorry. Animals have a way of getting into our hearts, no matter how short their stay is with us but you gave this puppy love and that is special.

Return to Top
#815058 - 09/14/07 12:04 PM Re: My foster puppy corkygirl
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
I am so sorry to hear this, SS. My thoughts and prayers will be with you.

Return to Top
#815064 - 09/14/07 12:18 PM Re: My foster puppy Skittles
Beige Offline
Power Poster
Beige
Thanks so much everyone. I can't believe how much this affected us! Last night was so strange. Daisy and Dexter are doing real well. Daisy looked glassy and a bit out of it most of the night - but boy was she cuddly!!! Dexter didn't seem to realize anything had even happened. He was running around like a little spaz. I think they both realize that Graham is gone, but they seem to be doing much better with it then their mama, Gracie. She's stuck in a cage for a month because of heartworm, but when I took her out this morning she was looking everywhere for him - even trying to see into the cars.

Sierra was with her Grandma last night so she's not aware of anything yet. She comes home after school today. At first we were thinking that we would just tell her that Grahams new parents picked him up early, but we have since reconsidered. We're just going to tell her what happened. We're also going to tell her that Graham went home with God, because God must've wanted a new puppy too. (If you don't believe that animals go to heaven - this thread is not the place to tell me.) We hope this is the right thing to do. We've been working so hard on teaching her about not lying, that it just doesn't seem right for us to do it. It would definitely be easier for her, but it would be a lie that would always be there and that everyone in her life would have to help perpertrate. It just doesn't seem right.

Thanks so much for the thoughts and prayers!!!

Return to Top
#815154 - 09/14/07 01:30 PM Re: My foster puppy Beige
Sandy Beech Offline
Power Poster
Sandy Beech
^i^
OMC! i didn't see this yesterday SS. my thoughts and prayers are coming your way. that is SO sad!!!

::hugs::

Return to Top
#815228 - 09/14/07 02:09 PM Re: My foster puppy Sandy Beech
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Running and riding everywhere ...
Dr. Bob, I think you're making the right choice in what to tell Sierra. I had to make a similar decision several years ago. My daughter's first pony broke her leg and had to be put down. I really wasn't sure what to tell a 3 year old, so we told her that her pony had died and went to live in heaven with Jesus. She was ok with the answer and never really brought it up again, much to my surprise. A couple months later our cousin lost their daughter (she was less than a year old). At the grave side service my daughter went to my cousin and told her that their daughter could have her pony since they were both in heaven now. No one knew what to say.

Return to Top
#815245 - 09/14/07 02:25 PM Re: My foster puppy RR Jen
Beige Offline
Power Poster
Beige
Oh my JLJ - that is so beautiful!

Return to Top
#815263 - 09/14/07 02:31 PM Re: My foster puppy Beige
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Running and riding everywhere ...
I was in tears...I'll never forget it and I'm certain my cousin wont either.

Return to Top
#815398 - 09/14/07 03:29 PM Re: My foster puppy RR Jen
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Oh boy, JLJ..that one choked me up. You're right to tell her Dr. Bob..that's what Rainbow Bridge is all about! Except you think of it for the older ones..not the young ones..I like your analogy much better..besides...who's to say....right?

I made the mistake of telling my son that his baby bunny (he'd saved out of one of our retriever's mouth) had gotten big enough to turn back loose. Well, the other day, probably 15 or more years LATER, he brought up about the bunny he'd saved and turned back loose...I messed up and to make a long story short...after all this time, now the truth comes out...not particularly good. It all got started somehow on a conversation about saving young animals...I commented on how nearly impossible some baby animals are to save..like rabbits...he popped in with that particular bunny and I gave it away. He still really doesn't know I accidentally killed his hampster tho..I just couldn't tell him that..it was too awful and he loved him so much!

Return to Top
#815427 - 09/14/07 03:44 PM Re: My foster puppy RR Joker
Comp Guy No More Offline
Diamond Poster
Comp Guy No More
North East
A DOG'S PRAYER
By Beth Norman Harris

Treat me kindly, my beloved master, for no heart in all the world is more grateful for kindness than the loving heart of me.

Do not break my spirit with a stick, for though I should lick your hand between the blows, your patience and understanding will more quickly teach me the things you would have me do.

Speak to me often, for your voice is the world's sweetest music, as you must know by the fierce wagging of my tail when your footsteps falls upon my waiting ear.

When it is cold and wet, please take me inside, for I am now a domesticated animal, no longer used to bitter elements. And I ask no greater glory than the privilege of sitting at your feet beside the hearth. Though had you no home, I would rather follow you through ice and snow than rest upon the softest pillow in the warmest home in all the land, for you are my god and I am your devoted worshiper.

Keep my pan filled with fresh water, for although I should not reproach you were it dry, I cannot tell you when I suffer thirst. Feed me clean food, that I may stay well, to romp and play and do your bidding, to walk by your side, and stand ready, willing and able to protect you with my life should your life be in danger.

And, beloved master, should the great Master see fit to deprive me of my health, do not turn me away from you. Rather hold me gently in your arms as skilled hands grant me the merciful boon of eternal rest--and I will leave you knowing with the last breath I drew, my fate was ever safest in your hands.

Return to Top
#815443 - 09/14/07 03:51 PM Re: My foster puppy Comp Guy No More
Mrs. Rizzo Offline
10K Club
Mrs. Rizzo
Curled up by the fire...
I don't know what jerked my tears worse...Dr. Bob or JLJ...
I can't imagine losing one of my babies. I'm so sorry, DB. I'll be thinking about you guys...

Return to Top
#815485 - 09/14/07 04:12 PM Re: My foster puppy Mrs. Rizzo
*BUSTER* Offline
Power Poster
*BUSTER*
In hades.
Sonofa, Now I feel bad for being mad at Buster when he destroyed my iPod. Thanks a bunch, now I feel lower than dirt...

I never finish anyth

Return to Top
#815522 - 09/14/07 04:56 PM Re: My foster puppy Comp Guy No More
Beige Offline
Power Poster
Beige
...and now I'm crying again!!!

Return to Top
#815953 - 09/14/07 09:00 PM Re: My foster puppy Beige
corkygirl Offline
Power Poster
middle of the country
And that's ok cause tears are a good way of letting go

LJL, what a wonderful daughter you have!!

When our dog Buddy had to be put down last fall it helped me to think that he would be able to play with my niece's baby Sawyer who died at 2 weeks of age. Told Pam that Sawyer had a puppy (even if he was 8 years old, he was a puppy at heart) in heaven - or as her son Ethan says, playing in the clouds.

My thoughts are with you.

Return to Top
#816004 - 09/14/07 09:42 PM Re: My foster puppy corkygirl
HRH Okie Banker Offline
Power Poster
Oklahoma
I am so sorry to hear of what happened. My Jack Russell baby girl is almost twelve now. Everyone here knows that I'm taking my allotted 3 days funeral leave when it's Corky's time. I hope you have a good weekend with your family.

Return to Top
#816794 - 09/17/07 09:21 PM Re: My foster puppy Beige
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
I am sorry.
My heart aches hearing this. This is a surgery that I've always taken for granted.

Return to Top
#817111 - 09/18/07 03:37 PM Re: My foster puppy QCL
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
My 3-yr old goes next week...I've never worried about it either...oh boy.

Return to Top
#817771 - 09/19/07 12:19 PM Re: My foster puppy RR Joker
Beige Offline
Power Poster
Beige
My 15 year old seems to have broken a tooth. I've never been freaked out about having them put her under - but this is going to be he!! !!!!

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett