Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#821926 - 09/24/07 08:02 PM School Programs
TrainingisLife Offline
We are wanting to put something together to get involved with education in the schools. We are looking for an idea other than the normal going in collecting deposits. Does anyone have any creative ideas they would like to share?

Return to Top
General Discussion
#821936 - 09/24/07 08:09 PM Re: School Programs TrainingisLife
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Basic finance/credit/budgeting seminars in low to middle income tract high schools. Put a real life spin on it for them

Basic money concept, what money is, funny animated history of money (barter my goat for your cheese vs paying cash for cheese in store today), different types of money and such in elementary schools.

Working with middle schools to present the systems of money and money transfer, banking history (civics classes).

Return to Top
#821966 - 09/24/07 08:38 PM Re: School Programs #Just Jay
FraudBuster Offline
100 Club
Indiana
The importance of an accurate checkbook register, and how to reconcile to a bank statement. As young as you can start teaching them!

Return to Top
#822030 - 09/24/07 09:35 PM Re: School Programs FraudBuster
MaryRink Offline
Gold Star
Northern MN
The ABA had some videos for teaching money matters in school. Not sure if they still have them, but it's worth a try.

Return to Top
#822187 - 09/25/07 01:13 PM Re: School Programs MaryRink
LoisLane Offline
Diamond Poster
LoisLane
Wisteria Lane..
Junior Achievement has good programs on economics for different school grades beginning with first or second grade.

Return to Top
#822235 - 09/25/07 01:53 PM Re: School Programs LoisLane
BrendaC Offline
Power Poster
BrendaC
Sweet Home AL
The FRB Web Site also has a kids page at: http://www.federalreserve.gov/kids/#created

Return to Top
#822250 - 09/25/07 02:05 PM Re: School Programs TrainingisLife
Double J Offline
New Poster
TEXAS
We have used the booklet furnished by the Federal Reserve titled "Building Wealth, A Beginner'S Guide To Securing Your Financial Future" to aid in teaching at our local high school. It includes work pages and good information. It can be found on the Federal Reserve web site. There are alot of great resources available free of charge on the site.

Return to Top
#822297 - 09/25/07 02:33 PM Re: School Programs Double J
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
I suggest whatever you choose to do, keep it fun and interesting. Show in a practical way how money and the money systems play into everything they do. This will require plenty of creativity and additional work on your part.

By simply showing a fed made video, or having the complete a worksheet, or completing a checkbook register like they do in accounting, or receiving another talk/lecture...may work against you. So many of the financial problems our country faces today is due to fear of money, the money system, and banks (look at all of the pending mortgage failures, many sold to the buyer by a broker, and not through their bank). A bland or stuanch lecture or material will only reinforce that.

Return to Top