Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#82508 - 05/23/03 04:12 PM Saving Trash (Tellers, etc.)
1111 Offline
Platinum Poster
When I started in banking it was customary and required that trash from the teller and other areas be saved and cycled out to the trash bin every 7 days - purportedly in case of an error that could be solved by forensic trash analysis (a no fun chore).

With automation, especially in the teller area, I'm not convinced that saving trash is worth the effort. Are there any regulatory requirements covering this issue? Is it a best practice scenario? Has it gone away as something to do and no one told me? Does your entity save and cycle out trash?

Input would be appreciated as I'm tired of looking that a full garbage can every business day.

Return to Top
General Discussion
#82509 - 05/23/03 04:32 PM Re: Saving Trash (Tellers, etc.)
SMQ, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
SMQ, CRCM
Between the lines
No reg that I know of, but it would be really easy to lose a deposit in the trash or some other important ticket. We do save the trash for 3 days, operations should know by then whether or not we need to "dive in". However, we do not put this in the "trash". There are privacy issues and all of this goes into secure bins and the contents are shredded.

Return to Top
#82510 - 05/23/03 04:32 PM Re: Saving Trash (Tellers, etc.)
RFitzpatrick Offline
Gold Star
RFitzpatrick
Pacific NW
I remember having a brief discussion here

I think the big issue is privacy and avoiding what some "dumpster divers" may find. It seems to still come up in the news. Even in a good office you may find notes with names and account numbers making it out in the trash.

Return to Top