Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#825675 - 09/28/07 04:58 PM Calcium deposits??
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
Had my first physical this morning in 4+ years. Have a lump on my wrist that when it hits something, pain shoots up my arm. Now, dr. says it could be a calcium deposit (she says it feel like it) and is sending me for an X-ray. She also says if it is, can have surgery to have it removed. Ummmmm....hello, kind of all set with hand surgery. Anyone else have these? Other treatments??

Return to Top
#825685 - 09/28/07 05:05 PM Re: Calcium deposits?? P*Q
Sing A Little Offline
Power Poster
Sing A Little
CA
I had calcified tendons in my shoulder and choose to go through physical therapy. Basically you break down the calcium with massage and movements, and then they give ice/heat and some pain meds while you are going through the treatments.

My step-brother had the same issue and choose the surgery route. They went it and scraped the calcium away, and he seemed to be doing better, though he said his shoulder hasn't been totally back to normal.

I know we are talking about different body parts, but you might want to seek the opinion of an orthpedic surgeon after your x-ray. An ortho actually recommended therapy for me.

Return to Top
#825718 - 09/28/07 05:44 PM Re: Calcium deposits?? Sing A Little
Ops Offline
Power Poster
Ops
Georgia
My husband actually went to the doctor Wednesday about a spot on his hand. In April, he broke his hand and had to have surgery.. the lump developed on that hand, right in front of his wrist. I guess it was caused because of all the trauma. His doctor did tell him it's a calcium deposit, but he didn't recommend any kind of treatment. As of right now, it only hurts with a lot of pressure (or, like you, if he hits it on something). I guess if it becomes more sensitive, we'll cross the bridge when we get to it.

Return to Top
#825725 - 09/28/07 05:49 PM Re: Calcium deposits?? Ops
Busy Bee, CRCM Offline
Diamond Poster
PacificNW
I have calcium deposits in my lower back from an injury in an auto accident. When I was going to the massage therapist 3 times a week, she was able to massage it out, but it's since returned (two years later). It'll give me some back pain on occasion, but at this point it's not bad enough to do anything about. I refuse to complain about the pain in my lower back, so I choose to ignore it!

Return to Top
#825767 - 09/28/07 06:11 PM Re: Calcium deposits?? Busy Bee, CRCM
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
It all depends on how much it hurts. If it hurts alot, or limits your movement and can't be "physical therapied" out, I would have the surgery. Only you know how much pain is acceptable or not. Also, how old are you? If you are young, you might want to have the surgery rather than looking at years of pain.

When you reach my age, you get used to pains here and there.

I damaged my shoulder and was developing calcium deposits. Doc gave me exercises to do (push ups, arm and shoulder rolls) to break them up. But, since I could do the physical therapy, we opted to forgo surgery. Yours might not be in a position to benefit from exercises.

Good luck!

Return to Top
#826133 - 09/28/07 08:40 PM Re: Calcium deposits?? Nanwa
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
Nanwa, I'm 37. It kills when I hit it on something, is tender most of the time but tolerable to a point. At night, I wear a wrist brace while I sleep because if I don't, my wrist is very sore the next morning.

Thanks to everyone for your input and insight. I appreciate it. I may be jumping the gun anyway until the X-ray says it's actually a calcium deposit. If not, then it could be something scarier.

Return to Top
#826140 - 09/28/07 08:42 PM Re: Calcium deposits?? P*Q
Sing A Little Offline
Power Poster
Sing A Little
CA
If it's calcium, don't be surprised if you are sent for an MRI. Also, don't be afraid to get a second opinion. My calcium also came from an injury, and I went to a few doctors until I was comfortable with them and their course of action.

Return to Top
#826661 - 10/01/07 05:35 PM Re: Calcium deposits?? P*Q
Basket Lady Offline
Originally Posted By: Pizza Queen
Nanwa, I'm 37. It kills when I hit it on something, is tender most of the time but tolerable to a point. At night, I wear a wrist brace while I sleep because if I don't, my wrist is very sore the next morning.

Thanks to everyone for your input and insight. I appreciate it. I may be jumping the gun anyway until the X-ray says it's actually a calcium deposit. If not, then it could be something scarier.

It might just be a ganglion cyst (very benign). I had one in my wrist for about five years. Hard as a rock and caused my wrist to ache, though not constantly. Extremely painful if hit.

Every so often, I would accidently hit it hard on something - enough to rupture the membrane. The fluid would get absorbed and the cyst would regrow in a month or so, til I hit it again.

A few years ago I sprained my wrist badly and the cyst broke. Hasn't grown back yet (and keeping fingers crossed).

Wishing for the best...

Return to Top
#826669 - 10/01/07 05:43 PM Re: Calcium deposits?? Basket Lady
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
Basket lady, kind of sounds like what I experience. I guess we'll see what the X-ray says.

Return to Top
#826951 - 10/01/07 09:24 PM Re: Calcium deposits?? P*Q
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
hey, my uncle just had wrist surgery to remove one of thos cysts that was there forever. he seems to be recovering fine and recently started the therapy to redevelope the strength...he's 51

Return to Top
#826984 - 10/01/07 10:01 PM Re: Calcium deposits?? Dip
Basket Lady Offline
Yeah - ganglion cysts are apparently pretty common, though I didn't even know that's what I had til I went to the doctor. Surgery seems to be the only way of getting rid of them for certain.

The doctor told me the 'old-fashioned' way to get rid of cysts on the wrist or hand - grab the "Good Book" and slam it on the cyst as hard as you could. Ouch! I passed.

Return to Top
#827019 - 10/01/07 10:44 PM Re: Calcium deposits?? Basket Lady
CRAatBOK Offline

Power Poster
Further South than I wanna be.
sure would be cheaper than surgery.

Return to Top
#827035 - 10/01/07 11:32 PM Re: Calcium deposits?? CRAatBOK
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
hehe, they did that to my uncle when he was a littl ekid...slammed a book on his wrist and popped it...btu it kept coming back

Return to Top
#827403 - 10/02/07 05:59 PM Re: Calcium deposits?? Basket Lady
corkygirl Offline
Power Poster
middle of the country
Originally Posted By: Basket Lady
Yeah - ganglion cysts are apparently pretty common, though I didn't even know that's what I had til I went to the doctor. Surgery seems to be the only way of getting rid of them for certain.

The doctor told me the 'old-fashioned' way to get rid of cysts on the wrist or hand - grab the "Good Book" and slam it on the cyst as hard as you could. Ouch! I passed.

Had one of these years ago and had surgery to remove it. Dr told me about the "good book" solution and then laughed. I didn't think it was a good solution at all

PQ, if that's what it is, it's no biggie but can really hurt right now!

Return to Top
#828293 - 10/03/07 06:53 PM Re: Calcium deposits?? corkygirl
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
I remember hearing alot about the "slam-a-book-on-it" system. I never heard of it not working. But that was back when people didn't go to the doctor unless it was life and death, and sometimes not even then.

But, what if you don't slam it hard enough, then you hurt and it is still there, or you slam it too hard and break something. Too risky.

Return to Top
#829459 - 10/05/07 11:29 AM Re: Calcium deposits?? Nanwa
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
Well the X-ray showed nothing on the bone, which means it could be in/on tissue. So, the MRI is next. Now I'm a little nervous.

Return to Top
#829843 - 10/05/07 05:33 PM Re: Calcium deposits?? P*Q
Sing A Little Offline
Power Poster
Sing A Little
CA
Don't be nervous, an MRI isn't that bad. Just stay still! LOL

Return to Top
#830046 - 10/05/07 07:33 PM Re: Calcium deposits?? Sing A Little
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
When I had my MRI on my knee, I fell asleep!

Return to Top
#832171 - 10/11/07 10:47 AM Re: Calcium deposits?? Nanwa
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Update, Pammy???

Hang in there...

Return to Top
#832190 - 10/11/07 12:22 PM Re: Calcium deposits?? Retired DQ
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
I have an MRI on Monday night. They called on Sat. and asked a BUNCH of questions, have I had surgery, had a foreign object hit me in the eye, etc, etc, etc and my favorite, are you claustrophobic? No I'm not but it's only my wrist, does that mean my whole flippin' body has to go in the machine??? Actually my favorite was "are you pregnant"? God no! Please! Geez!

Return to Top
#832199 - 10/11/07 12:34 PM Re: Calcium deposits?? P*Q
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
Yes, your whole body will go into the machine regardless of what they are scanning. If you are small you should be OK, but for us with some extra weight, that tube is not a fun time even if you aren't claustrophobic.

You'll do fine. I'm sending good thoughts your way.
Last edited by MichelleDawn; 10/11/07 12:34 PM.

Return to Top
#832233 - 10/11/07 01:01 PM Re: Calcium deposits?? MichelleDawn
Countess Kiwi Offline
Diamond Poster
Minnesota
Good luck, you will do just fine.

I love the 'are you pregnant' one. If I am, just put me in a white jacket and send me next door.

Return to Top
#832235 - 10/11/07 01:02 PM Re: Calcium deposits?? P*Q
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
Depending on the type of MRI machine, yes, your whole body might be going in. I have been in both; the enclosed MRI is like the one they use on the TV show "House", you lie on a table and the table is slid inside a tube. It is not that tight; you can still stretch your arms before you touch the sides and it is nowhere near close to your face. But some people are very claustrophobic and that might be too tight for them.

The other, more open MRI has the machine above, and your table is slid underneath. Your head is out in the open and the sides are so open that you can stretch your arms as far as you want and cannot touch the sides.

I had the closed MRI for a shoulder injury and the open MRI for my knee. Both times they told me to keep very still and it would take awhile (like 15 minutes), so I took a nap.

All the questions are for your protection, so don't get too upset at them about that. They will probably ask you some of the questions several times. They just want to be sure you don't have any metal in you, as the huge magnet could move any pins or staples you might have in your body, which could be painful. As for pregnancy, I believe they would put some kind of shield over your middle, as they never want to take any chances. Can a magnet harm a fetus? I don't know, but who would want to test it? Best to take all safety precautions.

Hey, I am 51 years old, had my tubes tied at 32 and a hysterectomy this summer, and when I went in for my mammogram last week I still got asked "Are you pregnant at this time?" I answered, "No, but do I look fat?" Embarassed the heck out of the technician!
Last edited by Nanwa; 10/11/07 01:02 PM.

Return to Top
#832331 - 10/11/07 02:35 PM Re: Calcium deposits?? Nanwa
BrendaC Offline
Power Poster
BrendaC
Sweet Home AL
My husband had a calcium deposit in his neck. The doctor indicated that he would likely be a candidate for kidney stones since he had developed this stone. The doctor removed it by same day surgery. The incision was very small and he recovered quickly. Hope everything goes well for you.

Return to Top
#832362 - 10/11/07 02:59 PM Re: Calcium deposits?? Nanwa
corkygirl Offline
Power Poster
middle of the country
Originally Posted By: Nanwa
Hey, I am 51 years old, had my tubes tied at 32 and a hysterectomy this summer, and when I went in for my mammogram last week I still got asked "Are you pregnant at this time?" I answered, "No, but do I look fat?" Embarassed the heck out of the technician!

Oh Nawa I just love that response, I'll have to remember that next time I get asked that question (and my annual 'has the breast cancer returned' mamo is end of November so I'll be asked for sure - - and I'm nearly 59!!)

Pam, MRI's not bad, just relax, nap if you are inclined and it will be over before you know it. Have had many with BC diagnosis and the lamaze breathing helps me when I get anxious and tired of laying still. Fear can motivate me to lay still also

Keep us posted.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett