Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#822465 - 09/25/07 04:12 PM Pandemic Flu Exercise Question
complygirl Offline
Platinum Poster
midwest
We're participating in the FBIIC/FSSCC Pandemic Flu Exercise. We're hoping there are other exercise participants on BOL....if so, I have a question regarding scenario one questionnaire. Questions 14 and 15 address antivirals and personal protective equipment....in real life we do not have either on hand at the bank, so are we just suppose to pretent (as part of the scenario) that we do have them if we choose to? If someone could help clarify this, I'd appreciate it. Thanks.

Return to Top
Disaster Recovery
#822512 - 09/25/07 04:33 PM Re: Pandemic Flu Exercise Question complygirl
Neytiri Offline
Platinum Poster
Neytiri
Pandora
I think this is a "reality" answer since the purpose of the exercise as whole is to determine how well the financial services industry are prepared for a pandemic. At least that is how we are answering our questions, so we can see what changes we need to make in order to be more prepared if a pandemic does happen.

We don't have antivirals, masks, etc. on hand either.
Last edited by Donna Banker; 09/25/07 04:38 PM.
Return to Top
#822552 - 09/25/07 04:48 PM Re: Pandemic Flu Exercise Question Neytiri
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
FWIW, we're participating, but we still are of the opinion that it is an exercise in futility!

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
#822717 - 09/25/07 06:12 PM Re: Pandemic Flu Exercise Question RR Joker
chenin Offline
Diamond Poster
chenin
We are participating also, and answering all of the questions based on our plan now. I'm sure there will be changes to the plan when we are done with the exercise!!! Just from the first scenario we have noticed some shortfalls we never thought about.

Return to Top
#822819 - 09/25/07 07:27 PM Re: Pandemic Flu Exercise Question chenin
NLC Offline
Gold Star
Center of US
We are also participating. We had just finished a draft of our plan so this has been great to see areas that we need to address. We have seen several areas that we had never thought about either so this has been a great help.

Return to Top
#823981 - 09/26/07 07:02 PM Re: Pandemic Flu Exercise Question NLC
Anonymous
Unregistered

Is it possible to see the questions without participating?

Return to Top
#824291 - 09/27/07 01:38 AM Re: Pandemic Flu Exercise Question
Deputy Dawn Offline
Gold Star
Deputy Dawn
Pennsylvania
We are participating. We do have a supply of gloves, masks and antibacterial gel in our branches.

I don't understand our participation. We are supposed to pretend those on the sick list are not at work and write what would be the consequences of them being out.

Return to Top
#824579 - 09/27/07 03:29 PM Re: Pandemic Flu Exercise Question Deputy Dawn
Bagweaver Offline
Diamond Poster
SW GA
But do you have enough gloves, etc on hand now? Have you read how often you need to change gloves and masks? Our supply is just for the typical rather short term tornado, hurricane, flood, or fire recovery - not anything on a long term pandemic scale. This is one of the things that we'll address after the exercise.

Return to Top
#824891 - 09/27/07 06:45 PM Re: Pandemic Flu Exercise Question Deputy Dawn
Neytiri Offline
Platinum Poster
Neytiri
Pandora
How many are out may cause you to answer the exercise questions differently. Would you have to close one of your branches because of the number of employees unable to work? (We would have to shift tellers to one of our branches because 75% at that branch will be absent under this scenario.) Would you be able to handle an increase in Internet Banking applications (per the scenario questions)? We wouldn't during the first week because our IB person will be out the first week (backup quit two weeks ago); actually the second week we wouldn't either because both of our computer department girls will be out so IB applications can't be processed on the computer side.

Next week our funds transfer department is just about cleaned out also.

This is really helping us to see what problems we can have during an actual pandemic.

Return to Top
#825714 - 09/28/07 05:37 PM Re: Pandemic Flu Exercise Question Neytiri
Bagweaver Offline
Diamond Poster
SW GA
We'd have to close one branch (out of three total) based on the second absenteeism listing. It's hitting our teller staff hard. In the office we'd have to close, we'd have one teller and the lender/branch manager left. We'd already decided that this would probably happen. We just weren't sure which office.

This is scary. I'm trying to keep our staff updated without going into too much detail at this point. I want them to be aware of what could happen, and how they should also prepare - both at work and home.

Return to Top
#825911 - 09/28/07 07:21 PM Re: Pandemic Flu Exercise Question Bagweaver
NLC Offline
Gold Star
Center of US
In the first absentee list we had all loan secretaries out which would not be nightmare but we only had two left in our IT department and either one could handle it all. The IT department are in one area at one branch so if one gets sick they would all be exposed. The second week only gets worse. So far we would have tellers but half of top management would be out and none of the IT department is back. It sure makes you think.

Return to Top
#826144 - 09/28/07 08:43 PM Re: Pandemic Flu Exercise Question NLC
Bagweaver Offline
Diamond Poster
SW GA
Our IT (the one and only) guy is out the second week. We'll have to figure out who can do what of his job. It will be bits and pieces done by several people.

Any compliance people to be out? Of course, no big loss if we're out, right???? So far, I'm hanging in there!

Return to Top
#830325 - 10/06/07 05:23 PM Re: Pandemic Flu Exercise Question Bagweaver
BurntSienna Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
Hi, I was wondering if it would be possible for anyone participating to share the information from this pandemic exercise. I wanted very much to participate in this pandemic exercise, but the dates coincided with our multiple joint state/FDIC bank exams (still ongoing), so I decided to be a tad realistic and admit that I simply couldn't do both, so I never signed up. Now, I feel like I am missing out on fantastic, valuable information.

If anyone is willing to share any portion of the scenarios and exercises (I don't need to see your own bank's answers, obviously), I would be very, very appreciative. Please PM me and I will be happy to provide my email address at my bank if you like.

Thank you!

Return to Top

Moderator:  Dana Turner