Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#832400 - 10/11/07 03:32 PM Re: Calcium deposits?? corkygirl
BrendaC Offline
Power Poster
BrendaC
Sweet Home AL
I have found that a cold cloth over my eyes helps me relax during an MRI. I guess it curbs that instinct to open your eyes and look around--not something you really need to do!

There are new open MRI options as well. I haven't had any experience with them, but I understand they are much better if you have a problem with closed spaces.

Return to Top
#832636 - 10/11/07 06:17 PM Re: Calcium deposits?? BrendaC
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
And, if you need to keep your mind occupied, Christmas carols work for me. Start with "A". Any carol whose title begins with "A", go over the lyrics in your head. Like "Angels We Have Heard On High", "Adeste Fideles" (if you know Latin), "Away in a Manger" etc. Then "B", "Blue Christmas" etc.. See how many you know. There are alot, so the time goes by quickly.

I do this when sitting in a deer stand during hunting season.
Last edited by Nanwa; 10/11/07 06:19 PM.

Return to Top
#832697 - 10/11/07 06:49 PM Re: Calcium deposits?? Nanwa
Basket Lady Offline
During a head MRI I was able to listen to a relaxation CD piped-in through some type of speaker near my head. The machine was loud enough to drown out the CD a few times, but overall it was helpful. Also, my doctor knew about my claustrophobia and gave me a mild tranquilizer to take before the MRI started. Fell asleep and was a little cranky when they woke me up!

Best wishes on the MRI.

Return to Top
#832833 - 10/11/07 07:55 PM Re: Calcium deposits?? Basket Lady
KAT Offline
Platinum Poster
Massachusetts
I have had a number of MRI's, the latest yesterday. For everyone except yesterday I was in the entire machine. Yesterday was for my ankle and only my annkle was in the machine. For some reason the ankle was the longest and took 30 minutes.

I found the worst thing was not being in the tube but the noise the machine makes. If they give you a choice of ear phones with music take it because it helps to drown out the machine.

Good luck. I love looking at the films afterward. It is so neat because you can see what is underneath the skin.

Return to Top
#833060 - 10/11/07 10:20 PM Re: Calcium deposits?? KAT
CRAatBOK Offline

Power Poster
Further South than I wanna be.
I would tell them that if I am pregnant it would have to be an immaculate conception.

Return to Top
#838485 - 10/19/07 04:05 PM Re: Calcium deposits?? CRAatBOK
P*Q Offline

Power Poster
P*Q
Somewhere
Well the MRI was inconclusive. It's either fluid buildup or a gangloin cyst. They said they could refer me to a hand surgeon for either draining or removal if it's a cyst. At this point I'm going to wait since it doesn't bother me all the time. If the pain ever becomes intolerable, I'll check into further treatment.
Last edited by Pizza Queen; 10/19/07 04:12 PM.
Return to Top
#838491 - 10/19/07 04:09 PM Re: Calcium deposits?? P*Q
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Hang in there PQ!

Return to Top
#838526 - 10/19/07 04:29 PM Re: Calcium deposits?? Retired DQ
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
PQ, don't wait too long, or they will make you go through another MRI.

Return to Top
#840704 - 10/23/07 07:38 PM Re: Calcium deposits?? P*Q
Basket Lady Offline
Originally Posted By: Pizza Queen
Well the MRI was inconclusive. It's either fluid buildup or a gangloin cyst. They said they could refer me to a hand surgeon for either draining or removal if it's a cyst. At this point I'm going to wait since it doesn't bother me all the time. If the pain ever becomes intolerable, I'll check into further treatment.

Like you, I decided against surgery unless the pain was too much to bear. My godfather, a hand surgeon, recommended surgery as the very last option to pick. The hands are just too complex to risk when other options are available.

Anyway, I had the cyst drained a few times. It sounds scary, but it really didn't hurt that much. The doctor numbed the area with lidocaine, then inserted a large bore needle to aspirate the cyst contents. The relief from the cyst no longer pushing my wrist bones apart was worth it. I'd have three or four pain free months before the cyst got big again.

Good luck with whatever you decide.

Return to Top
#840707 - 10/23/07 07:41 PM Re: Calcium deposits?? Basket Lady
BrendaC Offline
Power Poster
BrendaC
Sweet Home AL
Ouch! Does it still come back or did it finally go away?

Return to Top
#840713 - 10/23/07 07:48 PM Re: Calcium deposits?? BrendaC
Basket Lady Offline
A few years ago I was cleaning the bathtub and lost my balance. I landed on the hand with the cyst with enough pressure to sprain my wrist and rupture the cyst. It's never returned. I did, however, get another one on the bottom of my wrist, but it doesn't hurt so I'm leaving it alone.

Return to Top
#840803 - 10/23/07 08:40 PM Re: Calcium deposits?? Basket Lady
BrendaC Offline
Power Poster
BrendaC
Sweet Home AL
I guess that dark cloud did have a silver lining, huh? I don't blame you, although I have had several surgeries on my hand and they've gone great. I am fortunate to be in Birmingham with such good orthopedic surgeons. The downside is taking your husband with you to physical therapy during summer when all the athletes are there rehabing from their surgeries! Although I have to admit, he wasn't the only one looking around.

Return to Top
#840926 - 10/23/07 09:56 PM Re: Calcium deposits?? P*Q
corkygirl Offline
Power Poster
middle of the country

Pam, a number of years ago I had a gangloin cyst in my left wrist. I choose to have it removed and am glad that I did because they found that an "extra" ridge of bone in the wrist is what was causing the cyst and removed both. No problems since then and it has been probably 26 years ago. Don't wait too long, you have no idea how much one of those dumb thing can hurt!!

Return to Top
#840927 - 10/23/07 09:56 PM Re: Calcium deposits?? P*Q
corkygirl Offline
Power Poster
middle of the country

Pam, a number of years ago I had a gangloin cyst in my left wrist. I choose to have it removed and am glad that I did because they found that an "extra" ridge of bone in the wrist is what was causing the cyst and removed both. No problems since then and it has been probably 26 years ago. Don't wait too long, you have no idea how much one of those dumb thing can hurt!!

Return to Top
#841290 - 10/24/07 03:24 PM Re: Calcium deposits?? BrendaC
Basket Lady Offline
I live just a little north of you! If I ever need surgery again (except knee - I love my surgeon) I'll definitely go with a Birmingham surgeon. Currently, two of my co-workers travel to B'ham every few months for follow-up on once life-threatening conditions.

I understand what you are saying about the rehab. I had 10 weeks of rehab following knee surgery. There were many, many college athletes rehabing at the same time since my surgeon specializes in sports medicine. Definitely made the rehab easier.

Return to Top
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett