Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#827412 - 10/02/07 06:07 PM Range of costs in GFE
Raquel Offline
100 Club
When a lender maintains a list of required providers for a particular service and discloses on the GFE that the lender will require a particular provider from a lender approved list, RESPA requires that the "range of costs" be provided to the borrower in the Good Faith Estimate. (See text below)

I have always interpreted this to mean that the range must appear on the GFE in the buyers column for the particular service. Would it be acceptable to include the range on an addemdum to the GFE instead?

3500.7(e):

(4) If the lender maintains a controlled list of required providers (five or more for each discrete service) or relies on a list maintained by others, and at the time of application the lender has not yet decided which provider will be selected from that list, then the lender may satisfy the requirements of this section if the lender:
(i) Provides the borrower with a written statement that the lender will require a particular provider from a lender-controlled or -approved list; and
(ii) Provides the borrower in the Good Faith Estimate the range of costs for the required provider(s), and provides the name of the specific provider and the actual cost on the HUD-1 or HUD-1A.

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#827832 - 10/03/07 12:20 PM Re: Range of costs in GFE Raquel
pjs Offline
10K Club
pjs
oHiO
We have a required provider list that is part of the Good Faith Estimate. On the back of the GFE we have "see attached list" and then the provider list is part of the GFE.

We haven't run into any problems with it this way.

Return to Top
#828142 - 10/03/07 04:04 PM Re: Range of costs in GFE pjs
Raquel Offline
100 Club
What do you disclose in the borrowers column on the GFE - a single fee for that particular service or a range of costs from the providers on your list?

Return to Top
#835239 - 10/16/07 03:37 PM Re: Range of costs in GFE Raquel
pjs Offline
10K Club
pjs
oHiO
a single fee.

Return to Top
#835644 - 10/16/07 09:16 PM Re: Range of costs in GFE pjs
Steve Doty Offline
100 Club
Nebraska
3500.7(e)(4)(ii) states in part Provides the borrower in the Good Faith Estimate the range of costs for the required provider(s) I would do the range. FYI - I understand the GFE is an estimate but you want to make sure you are not listing the lowest fee of the required providers.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z