Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#829947 - 10/05/07 06:48 PM Guess she should have just bought the CDs...
A_G Offline
10K Club

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#829970 - 10/05/07 07:02 PM Re: Guess she should have just bought the CDs... A_G
Beige Offline
Power Poster
Beige
was ordered to pay the six record companies that sued her $9,250 for each of 24 songs they focused on in the case. They had alleged she shared 1,702 songs in all.

WOW!!!!

Return to Top
#829971 - 10/05/07 07:02 PM Re: Guess she should have just bought the CDs... A_G
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
thats a lot of downloading - 1,702 songs stolen

Return to Top
#829979 - 10/05/07 07:06 PM Re: Guess she should have just bought the CDs... A_G
Bacon Boy Offline
10K Club
Bacon Boy
Stuck w/Avatar
While I agree she did wrong, this seems greatly excessive. Especially since she's a single mother.

Return to Top
#829983 - 10/05/07 07:08 PM Re: Guess she should have just bought the CDs... Bacon Boy
A_G Offline
10K Club
Ditto, BB. But, they made her the example (and I think the message is clear). She should have settled for a couple hundred bucks like the article mentions other did, but she decided to take on the record companies. Not smart in my opinion. They got big bucks.

Return to Top
#829984 - 10/05/07 07:08 PM Re: Guess she should have just bought the CDs... Bacon Boy
CRAatBOK Offline

Power Poster
Further South than I wanna be.
Is it the downloading that was wrong or the sharing? I thought there are opportunities to download all the time. Yes, I am not up on music on the internet.

Return to Top
#829991 - 10/05/07 07:10 PM Re: Guess she should have just bought the CDs... CRAatBOK
A_G Offline
10K Club
I'm not really sure, KC. According to the article it appears both.

"This does send a message, I hope, that downloading and distributing our recordings is not OK," Richard Gabriel, the lead attorney for the music companies"

Return to Top
#830009 - 10/05/07 07:18 PM Re: Guess she should have just bought the CDs... A_G
Sing A Little Offline
Power Poster
Sing A Little
CA
I heard about this story on the radio this morning. She had the chance to settle but decided to spend $60,000 in legal fees to fight the record companies.

Return to Top
#830013 - 10/05/07 07:20 PM Re: Guess she should have just bought the CDs... Sing A Little
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
sounds like a bankruptcy in the making

Return to Top
#830022 - 10/05/07 07:24 PM Re: Guess she should have just bought the CDs... Pale Rider
Pickles Offline
Gold Star
Beach Bum, East Coast, USA
That's why I like the Grateful Dead.. they were all about sharing the music!!!!

Return to Top
#830028 - 10/05/07 07:26 PM Re: Guess she should have just bought the CDs... Pale Rider
Kronott Offline
Gold Star
Kronott
It is not illegal to download a song, but it is illegal to make available a song to download without authorization. So it there is being a crime committed whenever you download a song, you just might not be committing it.

Return to Top
#830031 - 10/05/07 07:27 PM Re: Guess she should have just bought the CDs... CRAatBOK
°X° Offline
Power Poster
°X°
WOOHOO
Originally Posted By: KCGeoQueen
Is it the downloading that was wrong or the sharing? I thought there are opportunities to download all the time. Yes, I am not up on music on the internet.

She was not sued for *stealing* a thing. She was sued for SHARING her music. Her ownership was never at question, and was not an issue in this case, and that’s a very important distinction. This was a case of copyright infringement, and thus a civil matter, NOT theft, which is a criminal matter.

It does make one wonder - if you buy a CD or buy music online and copy it for a friend, are you stealing that music from somebody - the music that you purchased? I guess it's sort of like speeding, you are really not speeding unless you get caught speeding. On the other hand, speeding is covered by law - what law covers the sharing of music once it's purchased? Is a little sharing OK?

Return to Top
#830040 - 10/05/07 07:32 PM Re: Guess she should have just bought the CDs... °X°
Kronott Offline
Gold Star
Kronott
Originally Posted By: _X_
Originally Posted By: KCGeoQueen

She was not sued for *stealing* a thing. She was sued for SHARING her music. Her ownership was never at question, and was not an issue in this case, and thatÂ’s a very important distinction. This was a case of copyright infringement, and thus a civil matter, NOT theft, which is a criminal matter.

It does make one wonder - if you buy a CD or buy music online and copy it for a friend, are you stealing that music from somebody - the music that you purchased? I guess it's sort of like speeding, you are really not speeding unless you get caught speeding. On the other hand, speeding is covered by law - what law covers the sharing of music once it's purchased? Is a little sharing OK?

During the era of cassettes making a copy for a friend was ok under fair use provisions. There have a been a few wringles once it was moved into CD's and DRM. Since it is illegal to violate DRM making a copy of a protected CD would be in violation, but if it was an open CD fair use should still hold some weight.

Return to Top
#830189 - 10/05/07 08:59 PM Re: Guess she should have just bought the CDs... Kronott
buggs Offline
Power Poster
If the music labels have their way it will be illegal to make copies of any music they sell, be it a file ripped from a CD for backup purposes (or to covert it to a format for you to load on your MP3 player) or if you've paid to download it from the Internet.

What they are doing, perhaps without realizing it, is killing the market for their CD products. If I can't buy a CD and rip it to play on my computer or MP3 that only leaves legal music downloads. (I wonder how the likes of Wal-Mart, Target, Blockbuster, Borders and Best Buy feel about that?)

However, the question becomes (IMHO) "is copying a file I legally downloaded from my computer over to my iPod legal?"

I'm wondering if this case will be appealed. If not this case, then perhaps another will eventually make its way to the Supreme Court. I hope somebody with deep pockets steps up to help this woman.

Return to Top
#830201 - 10/05/07 09:05 PM Re: Guess she should have just bought the CDs... buggs
buggs Offline
Power Poster
Also, the traditional music industry is creating a wonderful opportunity for their competition, the indie musician. If the labels kill the market for their DRM CDs, then why do any musicians need the labels anymore? (Hint: We don't.) We can set up our own marketing (on the Web) and distribution channels (iTunes, CD Baby, etc.) and sell our product ourselves. (Radiohead is just a little bit ahead of the curve.)

This is the true beginning of the end of the music industry we grew up with. And guess what, it's not file sharing that's killing them, they're killing themselves.

Return to Top
#830208 - 10/05/07 09:13 PM Re: Guess she should have just bought the CDs... buggs
Mrs. Rizzo Offline
10K Club
Mrs. Rizzo
Curled up by the fire...
So, I can download all I want just don't share it?

Return to Top
#830214 - 10/05/07 09:21 PM Re: Guess she should have just bought the CDs... Mrs. Rizzo
Kronott Offline
Gold Star
Kronott
Well its an ethical isssue for you, not so much a legal one. Just make sure you download to a folder that is not the same one you share with, otherwise you will be sharing as you are downloading.

Return to Top
#830225 - 10/05/07 09:32 PM Re: Guess she should have just bought the CDs... Kronott
Mrs. Rizzo Offline
10K Club
Mrs. Rizzo
Curled up by the fire...
Nah, I don't share...I just download...hypothetically that is

Return to Top
#830261 - 10/05/07 10:22 PM Re: Guess she should have just bought the CDs... Mrs. Rizzo
buggs Offline
Power Poster
Originally Posted By: Rizzo

Of course you can, if the download is provided legally and you pay for it. If, as in Radiohead's case, the cost is free, then you pay nothing for your legal download.

Return to Top
#830264 - 10/05/07 10:27 PM Re: Guess she should have just bought the CDs... buggs
buggs Offline
Power Poster
Oh, by the way, the music industry may also be killing commercial radio as we know it, or radio stations will have to get their music by downloading too.

In some ways the music and movie industries are so messed up right now, but it's certainly a interesting time.

Ain't technology a wonderful thing? Can we even imagine what it was like 150 years ago when the only way you heard music was to play it yourself, or listen to someone else play it?

Return to Top
#830266 - 10/05/07 10:42 PM Re: Guess she should have just bought the CDs... buggs
Mrs. Rizzo Offline
10K Club
Mrs. Rizzo
Curled up by the fire...
Originally Posted By: Bugs Bunny

Of course you can, if the download is provided legally and you pay for it. If, as in Radiohead's case, the cost is free, then you pay nothing for your legal download.

and what about limewire?

Return to Top
#830269 - 10/05/07 10:46 PM Re: Guess she should have just bought the CDs... Mrs. Rizzo
buggs Offline
Power Poster

and what about limewire?

I'm going to assume your question is serious. If you're joking around, please tell me.

With any P2P file sharing program some files are being shared legally. If the person sharing the file is the copyright owner (or has the permission of the copyright owner to share the file), then it's legal to share and download the file.

Most of the time it's very difficult to tell if the file is being shared legally, so to be safe, you better already know and trust the person who is providing the file you're downloading.

However, many files are not being shared legally, especially music and video files. If you don't know the difference, you shouldn't be using these programs.
Last edited by Bugs Bunny; 10/05/07 10:48 PM.
Return to Top
#830273 - 10/05/07 10:59 PM Re: Guess she should have just bought the CDs... buggs
Clown Boy Offline
Power Poster
Clown Boy
here and there

and what about limewire?

I'm going to assume your question is serious. If you're joking around, please tell me.

With any P2P file sharing program some files are being shared legally. If the person sharing the file is the copyright owner (or has the permission of the copyright owner to share the file), then it's legal to share and download the file.

Most of the time it's very difficult to tell if the file is being shared legally, so to be safe, you better already know and trust the person who is providing the file you're downloading.

However, many files are not being shared legally, especially music and video files. If you don't know the difference, you shouldn't be using these programs.

and the newist version of LimeWire helps with this. It'll give you a link of where you can aquire (buy) the rights to download a song.
of course if you use an older version of LimeWire (like one you can download at oldapps.com) then it doesn't require you to aquire the rights to a song which could possibly end you up in a lawsuit... or so I've read.

Return to Top
#830275 - 10/05/07 11:03 PM Re: Guess she should have just bought the CDs... Clown Boy
Mrs. Rizzo Offline
10K Club
Mrs. Rizzo
Curled up by the fire...
I'm being serious bugs...
I've used limewire...I don't really look at the source...If its the song I want I just download it

Return to Top