Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#8311 - 12/29/01 05:31 AM Item Processing - Single Item Transactions
Ed Lampman Offline
New Poster
Ed Lampman
Beaumont, Texas, USA
Does anyone have any suggestions for handling single item transactions (where you have one credit and one debit) to reduce proof encoding errors? We have been segregating them and proofing them separately from normal transactions, but we haven't really seen a decrease in the number of errors.

Thanks in advance and Happy New Year.

Ed Lampman

Return to Top
General Discussion
#8312 - 12/28/01 06:41 PM Re: Item Processing - Single Item Transactions
KK Offline
100 Club
KK
Southern California
How about removing the "repeat" button?

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

Return to Top
#8313 - 12/28/01 06:42 PM Re: Item Processing - Single Item Transactions
KK Offline
100 Club
KK
Southern California
How about removing the "repeat" button?

(Sorry, couldn't resist)

Return to Top
#8314 - 12/28/01 07:47 PM Re: Item Processing - Single Item Transactions
Ed Lampman Offline
New Poster
Ed Lampman
Beaumont, Texas, USA
We don't use the repeat button, but when all you do is run two documents per transaction, you get into a dream-like state where it's 1-2,1-2,1-2, etc.

Couldn't resist, either. You sure you haven't already started the party?

Return to Top
#8315 - 12/28/01 08:20 PM Re: Item Processing - Single Item Transactions
KK Offline
100 Club
KK
Southern California
Other than being technically challenged (the two postings and I have no idea how I did that or how to fix it) I remember over twenty years ago working in the proof department as part of management training.

and life is always a party.

Return to Top
#8316 - 12/28/01 08:22 PM Re: Item Processing - Single Item Transactions
Anonymous
Unregistered

We have the same problem. I have run proof in the past and have made these errors. Even though you are repeating the amount in your head, your fingers do exactly what they did for the first item. Our encoding errors are usually putting too many or too little zeros on items. We had one the other day where a customer's check and deposit were encoded as $1,000 and they were actually $10,000.

We too segregate some single debit/credit transactions but these are mostly daily Fed Funds, correspondent bank transfers, etc. and we run all debits then balance to all credits. While this has helped lessen G/L errors it has not with customer transactions. Not much you can do about those. The best solution to this was the proof method - now discarded - where you balance proof debits and credits totals to each teller's individual batch totals. Now you just proof each transaction instead of batch totals. A lot less time consuming but this leaves open a larger window for encoding errors.

Return to Top
#8317 - 12/28/01 11:03 PM Re: Item Processing - Single Item Transactions
sammylou Offline
100 Club
the tundra
If these staff members work at all on a bonus structure, how about tying an element of their bonus into their accuracy rates? If they don't reach x% accuracy, they lose x% of their total bonus potential. Make it individual. Or, if not bonused, maybe an incentive where the person with the lowest error rate in a quarter (presuming it is below x%) gets a bonus of $x. Money usually talks!

Return to Top
#8318 - 12/29/01 12:07 AM Re: Item Processing - Single Item Transactions
Don_Narup Offline

Power Poster
Las Vegas Nevada
We used to run 10 debits and then 10 credits.

Return to Top
#8319 - 03/14/03 08:18 PM Re: Item Processing - Single Item Transactions
Anonymous
Unregistered

We've recently gone to proofing from images. Your first step in the process is a high-speed dollar amount entry where you only enter the dollar amounts and the items are in a random order, not the way they were ran through the sorter. This eliminates the problem your having.

Return to Top
#8320 - 03/15/03 05:15 AM Re: Item Processing - Single Item Transactions
cbinder63 Offline

Platinum Poster
cbinder63
Colorado
Quote:

We used to run 10 debits and then 10 credits.

I have seen this used with great efficiency on the proof side. The drawback is in the research or teller outages.

Return to Top