Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#831616 - 10/10/07 04:25 PM Dumb dog owners and dog attacks...
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
my mom and i were walking our dogs yesterday (she has an irish terrier liek the dog in firehouse dog and i was walkign my chi-pom and her min-pin on a split leash) and we started to cross a street in the neioghborhood and this lady starts screaming bloody murder. i turned around and saw her dog running out into the street. a car was coming and so i thought she was afraid her dog was goign to get hit. WRONG! she knew her dog was goign to try to attack us! it came for me first, then veered and went for my mom's dog, snarling and snapping. my mom's dog was basically running circles around my mom at the end of the leash, and my mom was trygin to clock the dog on the head with the handle of the leash. i jumped in when i could to kick the dog hard in it's side. the owner is still screaming her head off, though NOT dropping her packages to really try to get control or her beast. then the dog see's my mom's min-pin and goes for it (thank GOD my dog had hurt her knee a block earlier so i had taken her off the leash and was carrying her so i onyl had the min-pin on the ground to worry about). because the min-pin was on a flexi leash too, all i could do on instinct was push the lock button and wing my arm up--the min-pin flew up ion the air for a minute then crash landed away from the dog so i had a second to grab her before he came back for her, at which point o kciked him good and hard in the side. both my dogs in arms, my mom and i started running away and the dog lost interest and hauled buns away from its owner down the street...lady still screaming at it. i hope animal control picked it up or it got hit. i really do. NO ONE messes with the safety of my dogs

i'm wondering though what we shoudl have done if that stupid dog HAD gotten a hold of the min-pin since she's so small. my mom and i want to call animal control and ask and get tips on what do do if you're attacked while walking your dog...anyone know?

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#831646 - 10/10/07 04:42 PM Re: Dumb dog owners and dog attacks... Dip
Sing A Little Offline
Power Poster
Sing A Little
CA
I was actually attacked my a pit bull while walking my chihuahua/doxie mix a few years back. I managed to get my dog off the ground before the pit could get to her, but he decided to try and take me down to get to my dog. I kicked this dog in the head and side multiple times and it didn't seem to help. Finally I took out my pepper spray and used it on the dog. Because of my actions, I only ended up with torn socks/shoes and some scratches.

I went straight home and called animal control. They couldn't find the dog in the neighborhood, but they told me that I did the right thing.

Take some sort of protection with you (pepper spray or dog mace). A kick to the head will usually daze them and a kick to the side can knock the wind out and have the same effect. If you don't want to get that close or take any chances with contact, then use your spray (many have 6-12 ft spray) and call animal control.

Return to Top
#831669 - 10/10/07 04:56 PM Re: Dumb dog owners and dog attacks... Sing A Little
BotV#6 Offline
Power Poster
BotV#6
Anywhere I want to be
If is too late and you are close enough to hit, the only other suggestion is to aim for the nose. It is a sensitive spot.

Return to Top
#831681 - 10/10/07 05:04 PM Re: Dumb dog owners and dog attacks... BotV#6
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
pepper spray...good idea...

man, had that dog gone for MY dog....i think i would have bit him myself! seriously, i think i would have attacked it and beat it up until it was dead. i get SO worked up with dogs seriously go after my dog...i imagine parents of kids get the same way.

Return to Top
#831703 - 10/10/07 05:17 PM Re: Dumb dog owners and dog attacks... Dip
Beige Offline
Power Poster
Beige
Originally Posted By: riDIPulous
all i could do on instinct was push the lock button and wing my arm up--the min-pin flew up ion the air for a minute then crash landed away from the dog so i had a second to grab her before he came back for her,

I would've been freaking out too...but the visual on this was making me LOL Dip!!!!

Return to Top
#831709 - 10/10/07 05:21 PM Re: Dumb dog owners and dog attacks... Beige
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
haha, my mom and i were replayign this over and over and laughing our bums off later...after we calmed down and the poor dg quit shaking. good thing she had a harness and nto just a collar. and it was cute because she was pulled up and back, so her legs were flailing in front of her in slow-mo when i saw it

Return to Top
#831716 - 10/10/07 05:25 PM Re: Dumb dog owners and dog attacks... Dip
Sing A Little Offline
Power Poster
Sing A Little
CA
Just be grateful that you guys are all ok and be prepared for your next walk in the neighborhood. It's a shame that we have to arm ourselves because other people aren't responsible pet owners.

Return to Top
#831726 - 10/10/07 05:31 PM Re: Dumb dog owners and dog attacks... Sing A Little
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
on a lighter note... Puka got little socks and a tank that says "i bark for the h311 of it" this weekend at the octoberfest

Return to Top
#831783 - 10/10/07 06:32 PM Re: Dumb dog owners and dog attacks... Dip
Seadevil Offline
Gold Star
Missouri
Dip,

If you can't find pepper spray, get a spray bottle and fill it 3/4 amonia and 1/4 water. Set the sprayer on stream and it a dog comes at you, spray in the face, preferrably eyes and nose.

When I lived in Kentucky, there was a chow in the neighborhood that would terrorize kids and small pets. Used to come in our yard and the owner would do nothing about it. 2 blasts to the face and the dog never came in our yard again. Now the owner was a little upset (the dog had a strong amonia smell to it), but after I suggested that he could get the same treatment as the dog, he decided to leave.

Good luck.

Return to Top
#831963 - 10/10/07 08:30 PM Re: Dumb dog owners and dog attacks... Seadevil
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
Most bike shops sell pepper spray.

Return to Top
#831974 - 10/10/07 08:44 PM Re: Dumb dog owners and dog attacks... Nanwa
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
As Nanwa - her husband was bit by a neighbors dog last year.

I love dogs, however I loathe owners who allow their vicious dogs to torment or attack people or other animals. I believe this incident should be reported to animal control. Maybe they can talk to her and keep her dog penned up.

Return to Top
#832050 - 10/10/07 11:03 PM Re: Dumb dog owners and dog attacks... Skittles
DebL Offline
Gold Star
CA
Duchess Skittles is right...the incident should be reported to animal control. Fortunately no one was hurt this time, but the next person might not be so lucky. With an incident already on file, it keeps the owner from saying that the dog has never shown signs of aggression before.

Although I must admit, the visual of your dog flying through the air, was pretty funny.

Return to Top
#832059 - 10/10/07 11:41 PM Re: Dumb dog owners and dog attacks... Dip
Peepers Offline
10K Club
I have a cat you could have used as bait to ward of the evil dog.

Return to Top
#832086 - 10/11/07 12:13 AM Re: Dumb dog owners and dog attacks... Peepers
Sheldon Hendrix Offline
Diamond Poster
Sheldon Hendrix
South
Wow Dip, I don't think I've ever seen such a long statement from you with so few typos.

Bravo, Dip... Bravo!

Return to Top
#832105 - 10/11/07 01:05 AM Re: Dumb dog owners and dog attacks... Sheldon Hendrix
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
Originally Posted By: Compliance Rules
Wow Dip, I don't think I've ever seen such a long statement from you with so few typos.

Bravo, Dip... Bravo!

eh, i was half in work mode, half in BOL mode

Return to Top
#832268 - 10/11/07 01:36 PM Re: Dumb dog owners and dog attacks... Dip
trail hiker Offline
Gold Star
Last winter, while cross country skiing alone on a lake - around the shoreline I passed by a home with a dog outside which has a habit of running up to me barking. Now, on skiis I am not exactly able to defend myself. This dog was a golden retreiver - not a breed you would expect to hurt someone. However, previous ski excursions by the same house with the owners outside resulted in the same thing and the owners not trying to control the dog. I used my mace this time. Dog owners need to control their pets regardless of the breed. I can understand an isolated instance of a dog getting away from an owner or out of their yard - but not repeatedly. I also carry my spray on walks and will use it if necessary.

Return to Top
#832276 - 10/11/07 01:45 PM Re: Dumb dog owners and dog attacks... trail hiker
Bagweaver Offline
Diamond Poster
SW GA
I've been having trouble with the neighbor's two big dogs digging under the fence and getting into my back yard. It's gotten so bad that I'm afraid to go out there much less let my grandchildren play there.

I think that I'll invest in some pepper spray. I've been thinking about getting some for self defence anyway, and I guess this situation fits.

Return to Top
#832287 - 10/11/07 01:56 PM Re: Dumb dog owners and dog attacks... Bagweaver
thomasj Offline
Power Poster
Pennsylvania
There are two ladies who walk four dogs every morning in the park that I run through and none of the dogs is ever on a leash. Granted it is 5 in the morning, but there is vehicle traffic in and around that park even that early in the morning. The first morning I encountered them, one of the dogs came running after me, but stopped before it got to me, now they just ignore me. I have also had several encounters with dogs while bike riding that have scared me. Our yard is fenced to keep my dog in our yard when she is outside, when she is outside the yard she is on a leash, no exceptions. She is so friendly that I can't imagine her hurting anyone or anything, but I would never take the chance or put her in danger like that.

There was a story on our local news this morning about a girl who was attacked by a pit bull who WAS on a leash at the time. She was petting it with the owners permission when the dog attacked her and the owner didn't even try to pull the dog away! Poor girl had to have stitches in her face, head, and chest. The dog was later put down.

Return to Top
#832329 - 10/11/07 02:33 PM Re: Dumb dog owners and dog attacks... thomasj
trail hiker Offline
Gold Star
I do not like dogs running up to me, friendly or not. I walk my dog on a rural road and carry the leash. As soon as I see or hear someone I get the leash on him right away. He is very well trained and docile but I want to give everyone else the same respect I expect. There is a distant neighbor with a yellow lab who has absolutely no control over his dog and he never has the dog on a leash. This large animal comes charging at me for hundreds of feet at the complete disregard of it's owners whistles. I am so tired of this that I will spray the dog next time. I have told the owner repeatedly he needs sto have control over his dog but he completely ignores the advice. My dog gets upset when this other dog takes his ball or his stick and since I have my dog on a leash by that time I have two growling dogs going in circles around my legs and I DON'T LIKE IT.

Return to Top