Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#83883 - 05/30/03 09:02 PM Re: A Place Just for You
Elwood P. Dowd Offline
10K Club
Elwood P. Dowd
Next to Harvey
This is kind of like the smoking lounge. If I don't want to smoke, I don't have to go there. Nevertheless, I'm terribly glad that those who want to smoke have someplace else to go.

If those who feel compelled to chat in the middle of a thread where three folks are going through the entrails of the Reg CC commentary come here instead, I'll be happy about that too. And, if it's late on a Friday afternoon, all the lights are out in my office because my little girl is taking an impromptu nap on the floor and I'm too tired to think anymore, I may stop by. Whatever floats your boat.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#83884 - 05/30/03 09:31 PM Re: A Place Just for You
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Ipso and CubDave -- I agree that this forum should be placed below other substantive forums on the Main Index page. We will only have it on top for the first few days, just to help spread the word to people about it being here, then we'll reshuffle the order.

Makes perfect sense!

Return to Top
#83885 - 05/30/03 09:59 PM Re: A Place Just for You
Ann Offline
Platinum Poster
South Carolina
Hey MB, some people are getting confused with this forum being at the top. They are used to going there for General Discussion.

Return to Top
#83886 - 05/30/03 10:10 PM Re: A Place Just for You
1111 Offline
Platinum Poster
Quote:

Quote:

Mary Beth:

I'm thinking if you need a laugh or need a life!

??????

The comment was at the esoteric level, of or relating to that which is known by a restricted number of people. Don't take it personal. I simply wonder about people a lot, not people who view and post to BOL to educate themselves, but those who have the time or take the time to post primarily to "fun" forums - from work!

Return to Top
#83887 - 05/30/03 11:08 PM Re: A Place Just for You
Anonymous
Unregistered

Excuse me for ranting in the watercooler, but I have to take issue at what Ipso is saying.

Lighten up! If a person working 9-10 hours a day uses BOL mainly for frivolity and posts 10-20 brief frivolous posts during that day (and I'd estimate that 99.4% of the posts are brief and most lengthy ones are copied from another source). They probably wasted an entire 5-15 minutes.

If this is their primary means of blowing off steam, what's the harm. I bet most people waste more time talking to their spouses on the phone, about sports, or about the latest reality show (yuck!).

If these folks were "chatting" all day as you allege, the frivolous posts would be voluminous--more like several thousand posts than a couple hundred. If they worked for me (and were getting their work done) and this was how they blew off steam or got their "people" fix during the day--I'd say more power to them. At least they are at their desks.

I'd post my name, but I'd rather not let my opinion get in the way of my participation on BOL. If you disagree with me fine, but you should stop worrying about people who do not work for you. My motto is, I have too much to do to worry about what others do or don't do--unless they report to me or their work affects my performance. If folks really are slacking off, it is between their supervisor and them. If it starts affecting me, then it is between them and me--if it does not get better, it is then between their supervisor and me. Since I do not work with the people posting on BOL, it does not concern me what they do or don't do.

LIGHTEN UP! HAVE FUN!

Return to Top
#83888 - 05/30/03 11:15 PM Re: A Place Just for You
GreatBlue Offline
Diamond Poster
GreatBlue
Colorado
Quote:

I simply wonder about people a lot

Ipso - have you ever considered not being so judgmental?

Oops, I guess that was judgmental.

Return to Top
#83889 - 05/30/03 11:23 PM Re: A Place Just for You
1111 Offline
Platinum Poster
Quote:

Excuse me for ranting in the watercooler, but I have to take issue at what Ipso is saying.

Lighten up! If a person working 9-10 hours a day uses BOL mainly for frivolity and posts 10-20 brief frivolous posts during that day LIGHTEN UP! HAVE FUN!

Well, O.K., but it's a puzzlement to me, e.g., people who post 10-20 brief frivolous posts during a work day, so if you don't mind, allow me to wonder about the oddity and strangeness of those people and the use of time as you are free to spend your time doing whatever you elect to do.

Return to Top
#83890 - 05/30/03 11:38 PM Re: A Place Just for You
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
I bet some of us don't read the comics either.

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#83891 - 05/30/03 11:49 PM Re: A Place Just for You
1111 Offline
Platinum Poster
Not during work hours.

Return to Top
#83892 - 05/30/03 11:53 PM Re: A Place Just for You
Cowboys Fan Offline
Power Poster
SC
I think this is a great idea. If you want info, go the the other areas, it you want to relax/laugh - come here. This is coming from someone who just put in her 12 hours (I'd kill for a 9 hour day!!) at work and is now on-line reasearching other work issues.

Return to Top
#83893 - 05/31/03 12:23 AM Re: A Place Just for You
Hussam Al-Abed Offline
Platinum Poster
Abu Dhabi / U.A.E
Neat & Timely Idea. Thumbs Up

I learned through My Banking Years that a banker is the Most risky Business ...why?

Here are some suggestions to answer:

1) An armed robbery Victim.
2) A major Fraud victim
3) A Bomb threat (and you can Just Imagine The shock & Post Trauma stuff)
4) A Flying Plane to land in your Office in the 9th floor.
5) An xxx years stay enjoying The Hospitality of your state DA, because you didn’t file the right report or tipped off someone!

6) Scammed by a smart social engineer where your Bank network went down for 5 days (because of that) and your Bank President sues you For Damage!

7) Winking at a cute Blondie in your early work Hours while driving to work and the next day the newspaper headline " a BANK manager Kidnapped! "

8) Decoding all The US regs and swimming through the Pool of Terms that starts from (FATF, OFAC, NCCTS... and you name the rest)

9) Opening an account for a Nice Gentleman and a week later, while watching TV THE BREAKING NEWS Pops in your face as " capturing one of the Top 10 wanted list with a picture... Hmmmmmm : Mumbling to your self! I have seen this Face before.... I just can’t darn remember where!

10) Attending an armed robbery Mock Training where the Trainers are EX-law enforcement officers and forgot to switch Bullets and they used live ammunition!

11) Helping that Nice Old lady who has a smile on her face always while visiting the bank, later On to discover she ran a 50 Million US dollar Investment Scam!

12) Worrying you did not shred the VIP Doc.and later On discovering you have No clue where that doc. is!

13) Flying to a conference in a nice carbian island and working hard on your laptop, Not noticing the ever smiling Guy who peaked the whole time at your screen and oddly making some notes in his tiny notebook hidden within the Puzzle word section in the newspaper!

14) Running into a Nice well dressed late 40.s gentleman close to your office and offering to help the consultant whom was sent by an auditing firm, later On to discover he ran a check on your security and you proved to be the weakest Link!

15) Bankers are the Most Human being who are vulnerable to heart attacks, Blood Pressure, kidney stones and a nagging Boos!

So my friends.... in order to ease your banking Life and Live
A Normal less stressful Line......I guess you should come to this Zone and Just Laugh and smile

Return to Top
#83894 - 05/31/03 03:00 AM Re: A Place Just for You
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
Well said, Hussam. But like I tell folks at my office when the laughter gets too loud- If we have too much fun, they might start charging admission!

Return to Top
#83895 - 05/31/03 10:22 PM Re: A Place Just for You
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

so if you don't mind, allow me to wonder about the oddity and strangeness of those people and the use of time as you are free to spend your time doing whatever you elect to do.

I'm also fascinated by the differences in people, their habits, likes/dislikes, so I am a wonderer, too. For example, I don't understand people who don't cook. How can they tolerate having to eat out, carry in, live on what's ready-made, easy to grab? People who live in squalor because they don't like to pick up or clean. People who don't like to read. I'm not saying any of these are bad. They're just different from what I'm used to and I find the differences fascinating.

Return to Top
#83896 - 05/31/03 11:02 PM Re: A Place Just for You
c.a.r Offline
Gold Star
c.a.r
Texas, USA
I know I spend atleast 8 hrs aday in the same little closet. I don't play golf, tennis,take smoke breaks,or coffee breaks. When I need a little break, I like to read what everyone is chatting about and once or twice post something. I think haveing a litle section (that won't stay little) to blow off steam, act a little crazy and get to know other people that are just as stressed is WONDERFUL!!

Return to Top
#83897 - 06/01/03 02:15 AM Re: A Place Just for You
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

They're just different from what I'm used to and I find the differences fascinating.

Well said.

Dear IPSO--

I think if you would take a personality test (like Meyers Briggs) and then follow it up with a class on how different personalities interact, you would find amazing differences in people who do the same job--and each doing it well. In fact, you would probably find that the people in your office who you think waste so much time talking merely learn better by talking than by sitting at a desk. [That is not to say that their aren't slackers out there, but you needn't worry about them--they don't hide it for long in this fast-paced world.]

An extrovert (not the type who are the life of the party, but those as defined by Meyers Briggs) will often drive his introverted co-workers crazy by stopping by their offices to discuss something that the introverts thinks the extrovert should know. After an extrovert leaves an introverts office, the introvert will often think, "is she stupid; she should know that!?" No, she is not stupid. Yes, she probably did know that. But that is how an extovert thinks--by talking with other people. Ideas just come streaming to an extrovert during personal interaction. Whereas, introverts do their best thinking in their cubicle caves--and dread the extroverts' visits. That is why introverts hide under their desks when they see their extroverted co-workers coming.

It's just different ways of getting the job done. If you have an extrovert in a compliance officer role, he will probably last about 6 months, if you do not give him/her a method to feed his/her people need. Keep him locked up in a cubicle and you will be fitting him for a straight jacket soon. It is likely that most compliance officers (as it is with lawyers) are not extroverts--they are introverts and work best when left alone with the books. A successful extroverted compliance officer has trained himself to control his extroverted nature when he needs to hit the books--but he still needs that people fix.

So, Ipso, I understand why you wonder about me, Dawnie, CubDave (who I bet are both extroverts according to Meyers Briggs)--and anyone else who would like to add their names to this list. But my time posting frivolously on BOL makes me a happier, more productive attorney.

If you are in management--or hope to be there some day--Meyers Briggs is a must. I don't care how long you have been at this game, it will teach you to appreciate the differences in people and not see all frivolity as wasted time.

Meyers Briggs comes up with a 4X4 chart of personalities. That is a total of 16 personality types. However, they teach that there is a 17th: JERK! That is the person who says "such and such" is my personality and you just better get used to it. That type person does not get along with others who are different from him and thinks they should get used to the way he does things and in fact, he thinks they should do things the way he does!

Ipso, I don't think you are a #17--don't let yourself become one.

Not only were no trees killed in the delivery of this post, but no work hours were wasted! Just needed a little frivolity now that the kids are in bed and the Mrs. is watching the Martha Stewart movie (blech!).

Return to Top
#83898 - 06/02/03 01:17 PM Re: A Place Just for You
DawgFan Offline
Diamond Poster
DawgFan
United States
Well, very valid points have been made here, I suppose. In any case, the existence of this forum is a win-win for all involved. Those of us who like to post frivolty have our own little section of the sandbox to play in. Those of us who don't can avoid this section, or visit it on occasion. Thanks, MB, for paying attention and striving to make BOL a better site.

Return to Top
#83899 - 06/02/03 02:16 PM Re: A Place Just for You
Kansayaku Offline
Diamond Poster
metsuretsu
Quote:

I know I spend atleast 8 hrs aday in the same little closet. I don't play golf, tennis,take smoke breaks,or coffee breaks. When I need a little break, I like to read what everyone is chatting about and once or twice post something. I think haveing a litle section (that won't stay little) to blow off steam, act a little crazy and get to know other people that are just as stressed is WONDERFUL!!

I too do not take the designated breaks that are freely given at my place of employment. Also, my work hours are not the norm. Lunch breaks are generally taken in my office in front of the computer working through the latest problem that someone within the bank is facing. Occasionally but rarely, food enters into the picture if I am not also on the phone with a regulator. My computer almost always has a window open that contains BOL, but most of the time is is minimized at the bottom of my screen. I spend much less time on the frivolty posts than most within my bank spend at their designated breaks, so I for one do not worry about my usage.

Return to Top
#83900 - 06/02/03 02:38 PM Re: A Place Just for You
Kara S Offline
Platinum Poster
Milwaukee, WI
Wow! I miss one day at work, and look what happens!

I just wanted to say thanks to MB for such a GREAT idea! Also thanks to everyone else that made it happen! I'd also like to thank my mother for having me....Oh, wait...wrong speech!

Return to Top
#83901 - 06/02/03 02:58 PM Re: A Place Just for You
JulesB Offline
Gold Star
JulesB
A Designated Tree City in OK, ...
Hey there Z! Great comments on the Meyers-Briggs personality testing. I am one of those extroverts who has managed to stay in Compliance by doing exactly what you mentioned. I do go visit with different people in the bank, depending what I am working on, to get their perspective of whatever the issue may be. Definitely helps keep me sane, and get the people fix at the same time.

I took the MB test while still with the OCC's SW District Compliance Cadre in summer of '98. It was fascinating to see how many different personalities we had in the group - the biggest surprise for the facilitator was the even split between the introverts and the extroverts of the group (there were 16 of us). Brings back fond memories . . .
Last edited by JulesB; 06/02/03 02:59 PM.

Return to Top
#83902 - 06/02/03 02:59 PM Re: A Place Just for You
Anonymous
Unregistered

So, Ipso, I understand why you wonder about me, Dawnie, CubDave (who I bet are both extroverts according to Meyers Briggs)--and anyone else who would like to add their names to this list. But my time posting frivolously on BOL makes me a happier, more productive attorney.

I am probably considered schitzo on that test, because I can be kind of introverted and extroverted (depending on my consumption of wine ), but definitely more extroverted when typing than talking. Ipso, I actually can understand some of what you are saying. It bothers me at work when I see people spend a large part of their day yapping, etc. And then when I hear from ownership how we need to cut costs, I can't help but think that there are many areas in our bank where 1 motivated person could do the "work" of 2 or 3 people. I kind of view the frivolity thing as different though. I think the primary purpose of BOL is learning, and it has been extremely valuable to me. That said, in any type of idea exchange, whether it be thru chat or at a conference, I also find that I am more receptive to learning from others when I know them a bit outside of the realm of discussion, and humor and frivolity provides a weird-type connection that somehow, for me, increases the credibility of the advice I receive or the thoughts that are shared. Plus, keep in mind that it appears that many regular BOL contributors have met in person at conferences and surely have shared some face-to-face frivolity time, so to be able to continue the personal nature of that professional relationship is normal and healthy - I try to never forget that work is a means to be able to have a life.

Return to Top
#83903 - 06/02/03 06:49 PM Re: A Place Just for You
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

I bet some of us don't read the comics either.

Sure I do. It's called the C O M P L I A N C E MANUAL

Return to Top
#83904 - 06/02/03 06:56 PM Re: A Place Just for You
Anonymous
Unregistered

Great Thoughts Mr. Z!

Ispo it took you as long to type your negative comments about the people who may partake of this forum as it would to type out a happy thought. I think a review of your time, precious as it seems, should include the time to be positive, which you seem not to have, as the time it takes to be negative. Sparing yourself the stress of taking the negative time to type out a message that imparts nothing of value in this forum might allow you time to read some enlightening periodical or some such activity.

Return to Top
#83905 - 06/02/03 07:42 PM Re: A Place Just for You
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
Quote:

So, Ipso, I understand why you wonder about me, Dawnie, CubDave (who I bet are both extroverts according to Meyers Briggs)--

EXTROVERT!!!! Me????? LOL umm I'm shy and stuff dude Ok ya pegged me

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#83906 - 06/02/03 07:53 PM Re: A Place Just for You
c.a.r Offline
Gold Star
c.a.r
Texas, USA
I am probably considered schitzo on that test, because I can be kind of introverted and extroverted (depending on my consumption of wine ), ...

Yeppers... this is me, also.

Return to Top
#83907 - 06/03/03 05:10 AM Re: A Place Just for You
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Okay - how about a Poll then - somewhere between "real" compliance stuff and frivolity:

Why do you post on BOL?
1. Because I can get some great advice here.
2. Because I can find many different perspectives on a problem.
3. Because some I was appointed the Compliance Officer job last week and am looking for any type of life preserver.
4. Because this is the only place I don't feel so darn weird about compliance minutiae.
5. I come here for re-assurance after Management/Marketing/Loan Officer insisted that we MUST be wrong.
6. This is the only place where people really UNDERSTAND me!
7. I like to give as well as get from the BOL Community.

Notice - I'm not putting in a selection of "one or more of the above because, just like on the CRCM exam, I will force you to make a choice of only one answer!!!

However, feel free to write your comments about the poll underneath. Let the Frivolity continue!!!!

Return to Top
Page 2 of 3 1 2 3