Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#84072 - 05/30/03 09:32 PM Reality TV Fans
Anonymous
Unregistered

Those of you who AREN'T fans can steer clear of this forum.

The Amazing Race is off and running. I've watched every season, and I think, okay, if I were going to be a contestant, I would:
1. hire a personal trainer and get in the best physical shape possible, with cross-training for lots of different sports, since you never know if you'll be mountain-climbing, swimming, hiking, or what;
2. brush up on foreign language skills and International customs info;
3. take an intensive map reading/navigation course;
4. learn to suppress the gag reflex because they always make you eat disgusting things;
5. have hynotism or psycho-therapy to overcome fear of bugs, snakes, rats, mice, dirt, general grossness, heights, etc.

So, what are these people thinking who come on the show and are seriously out of shape? I don't get it!

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#84073 - 05/30/03 09:35 PM Re: Reality TV Fans
Anonymous
Unregistered

Last night was my first glimpse of amazing race and I only saw the last 20 minutes or so. I think I will enjoy this show,and I have to agree with your statement on being out of shape. I'm thinking if the rest of the show is like last night, I would definately start working on the cardio exercises before the race began. I have to say, the losing couple amazed me with their attitudes towards each other and towards the race. If we could all view life like they do.

Return to Top
#84074 - 05/30/03 09:37 PM Re: Reality TV Fans
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
Quote:

Those of you who AREN'T fans can steer clear of this forum.

Steer clear of this forum, or just of this thread?

The Amazing Race is one of those shows that from the previews I've always thought would be very interesting and I'd like to watch, except I never remember when it's on. When is it on? I'd really like to tune in at least once.

Return to Top
#84075 - 05/30/03 09:40 PM Re: Reality TV Fans
Skunk Boy Offline
Diamond Poster
Skunk Boy
R.I.P. Chief Illiniwek
I just have to reply to this, because I heard the best idea for a reality TV show. TV producers will compete on a show to see who has the most outrageous reality show idea. They would compete on topics such as, would people watch it, would they feel dumber by watching it, would it pass the censors, etc.
Then the winning TV producer gets his or her TV show to air the following season.
I think it is the epitome of reality TV.

Return to Top
#84076 - 05/30/03 09:40 PM Re: Reality TV Fans
Ann Offline
Platinum Poster
South Carolina
I'm NOT a reality TV fan, but I couldn't help getting hooked on the lastest edition of American Idol. I must have called a hundred times and could not get through. So I want to conduct my own poll, although my guy won.

American Idol Poll
I wanted Rueben to win.
I wanted Clay to win.
I didn't watch it and I don't care.

Return to Top
#84077 - 05/30/03 09:41 PM Re: Reality TV Fans
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Sorry to inform all of you, but the AMAZING RACE will take place in Elmont, New York on the afternoon of June 7th.

Funny Cide and Santos take on all comers!

Return to Top
#84078 - 05/30/03 09:53 PM Re: Reality TV Fans
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

When is it on?

Amazing Race is on Thursday nights on CBS.

Quote:

I couldn't help getting hooked on the lastest edition of American Idol.

I nicknamed Clay "GeekBoy" from the beginning. I wanted him to win and despite dialing over and over for the last night of voting, I never got through. He'll be a star anyway.

Return to Top
#84079 - 05/30/03 10:04 PM Re: Reality TV Fans
JulesB Offline
Gold Star
JulesB
A Designated Tree City in OK, ...
You said it Mary Beth. I'm not sure how many times I tried to vote for Clay, but was only able to get through once over 2.5 hours into the voting time. Even though he started out looking like a total geek, he has come a long way with the stylists taking care of him. Gotta love that voice!! I have pre-ordered his single coming out on 6/10.

Return to Top
#84080 - 06/01/03 02:21 AM Re: Reality TV Fans
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Tomorrow night (Sunday, June 1st) a family friend is on an NBC show called something like talented Seniors. Her name is "Something" (I can't remember her first name) Lovelace Gentry...my mother tells me that her stage name is Gentry. She can play any instrument and play any music by sight. And she is about 83 years old.

Return to Top
#84081 - 06/01/03 11:40 PM Re: Reality TV Fans
Bear Collector, CRCM Offline
Diamond Poster
Bear Collector, CRCM
District of Columbia
I was a Clay fan from day one! I always thought he was kind of a reincarnation of Barry Manilow - that is, if Barry Manilow wasn't very much alive! I voted and voted and voted - I even frequented my favorite website - Leacherous Broads for Clay Aiken!
(American Idol is the only reality show I watch.)
BC

Return to Top
#84082 - 06/02/03 12:45 PM Re: Reality TV Fans
Anonymous
Unregistered

He may look like Manilow, but Manilow would kill for that voice.

Return to Top
#84083 - 06/02/03 02:08 PM Re: Reality TV Fans
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
Of course, that's not to say that Manilow didn't do pretty good with the voice he has. I bet Clay would kill to have all the record sales money Manilow has.

Return to Top
#84084 - 06/02/03 02:45 PM Re: Reality TV Fans
JulesB Offline
Gold Star
JulesB
He may rake in as much, if not more money than Barry over the next few years. As far as looking like him - I don't think so. Barry has that nose - Clay has the ears, but hair can cover them up.

Return to Top
#84085 - 06/02/03 02:49 PM Re: Reality TV Fans
Kara S Offline
Platinum Poster
Milwaukee, WI
The trick is they open the phone lines about 10 minutes before the end of the show. I voted for Clay at least 5 times, all I had to do was hit re-dial and I got through every time!

Return to Top
#84086 - 06/02/03 02:49 PM Re: Reality TV Fans
Don_Narup Offline

Power Poster
Las Vegas Nevada
Quote:

I don't think so. Barry has that nose - Clay has the ears, but hair can cover them up

Somehow I don't see Barry with a nose hair comb over

Return to Top
#84087 - 06/02/03 03:01 PM Re: Reality TV Fans
JulesB Offline
Gold Star
JulesB
Quote:

Quote:

I don't think so. Barry has that nose - Clay has the ears, but hair can cover them up

Somehow I don't see Barry with a nose hair comb over

LOL!!!

Return to Top
#84088 - 06/02/03 03:02 PM Re: Reality TV Fans
RandomName Offline
Diamond Poster
Austin, TX
Indeed, there can be no doubt that when it comes to reality shows, The Amazing Race is by far the best of them all. Even with last season's sickening win by Flo.

This time out, the father/son team looks real strong, and I'm thinkin' they're playing up the injured/out-of-shape angle with the air traffic controllers to throw us off, and that those two still have some racing left in 'em.

Not too keen on the models, though, nor the NFL wives, 'specially when they blew their Fast Forward unnecessarily.

Why can't we have Jill and Jon Vito back?

Return to Top
#84089 - 06/02/03 03:26 PM Re: Reality TV Fans
RGS Offline
Platinum Poster
RGS
Home of the 8 time NCAA Champ ...
I'm not much a fan of the reality shows (although I did enjoy season I of MTV's "Tough Enough"), but I do find it interesting that (at least in my opinion) the reality shows that led to the craze were MTV's "Real World" and "Road Rules", which I haven't watched in five or six years. I haven't watched the "Survivors" etc. just because I felt that they were too similar to the MTV shows. Is "The Amazing Race" anything like "Cannonball Run"?

Return to Top
#84090 - 06/02/03 05:16 PM Re: Reality TV Fans
conniew Offline
100 Club
conniew
St. Louis, MO
I would have to say the first "reality" show was broadcast many years ago and it was about the "Loud" family - don't remember the name for sure, but I think that truly was the first reality show! Anybody else agree?

Return to Top
#84091 - 06/02/03 05:35 PM Re: Reality TV Fans
1 Peter 5:7 Offline
Diamond Poster
1 Peter 5:7
TX
I remember the Loud family. I believe it was a PBS series in the 70's. As I recall, this first reality show triggered not more cloned reality shows (as would today), but several good family-based dramatic series. Noteworthy was "Family" " starring James Broderick and Sada Thompson. It was good TV.

Return to Top
#84092 - 06/02/03 05:44 PM Re: Reality TV Fans
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
The Loud family scared me as a child. I could not believe a family could be that dysfunctional with such wild kids. I notice PBS has a site devoted to Lance Loud who once said, "TV ate our family." I have to say that without PBS or WNET NY, their family would have eaten itself--they were messed up, with or without TV.
Last edited by zaibatsu; 06/02/03 06:11 PM.

Return to Top
#84093 - 06/02/03 05:47 PM Re: Reality TV Fans
1 Peter 5:7 Offline
Diamond Poster
1 Peter 5:7
TX
A generation goes by and we lower the bar (or is it raise the bar) on what's dysfunctional. The Osbournes?

Return to Top
#84094 - 06/02/03 06:07 PM Re: Reality TV Fans
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Running and riding everywhere ...
That is why I don't have cable. Not that regular programming hasn't stooped to new lows recently. I'm not too crazy about the idea of my 5 and 8 year olds being able to see previews of "Temptation Island".

Return to Top
#84095 - 06/02/03 06:44 PM Re: Reality TV Fans
RGS Offline
Platinum Poster
RGS
Home of the 8 time NCAA Champ ...
I do enjoy the Osbournes, but I don't really consider that a reality show (even though it is). I'm an Ozzy fan and I find it interesting that one of rock n' roll's craziest performers is this puttering around the house husband and dad. Granted, the kids are out of control and outrageous, but I actually wouldn't consider them as dysfunctional as the Bundys from "Married With Children". Although Ozzy's clan is clearly different, I at least sense the vibe that Ozzy and Sharon are loving parents (and spouses) and that Jack and Kelly are loving (but insanely spoiled) kids who grew up in a completely strange environment. Two vivid memories from this show are 1) We've heard about you biting the heads off of things our entire lives and 2) Ozzy telling the kids "Don't do drugs, look what they did to me".

But, as I said, I'm an Ozzy fan, so I like the show. Of course, I also liked the "South Park" episode that depicted planet earth as an intergalactic reality show.

Return to Top
#84096 - 06/02/03 07:00 PM Re: Reality TV Fans
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Quote:

but I actually wouldn't consider them as dysfunctional as the Bundys from "Married With Children".

RGS--I know it sometimes hard to tell the difference, but I think the Bundys were characters played by actors.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2