Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#84236 - 06/02/03 12:45 PM Flowcharting software?
Richard Insley Offline
10K Club
Richard Insley
Toano, VA
I'm looking for a flowcharting software product that:
- creates logic and other flow diagrams
- is intuitive and easy to use
- integrates with MS Office aps to produce nice printed output
- produces clickable html pages
- is reasonably priced

What are other BOLers using & what do you like and dislike about specific software products in this category? Thanks for any rants, raves or reviews!

Return to Top
General Discussion
#84237 - 06/02/03 04:06 PM Re: Flowcharting software?
Anonymous
Unregistered

The one I've heard about most recently is MS Visio - here's a quick bio from their FAQ:
Microsoft Visio, released in 1992, is a business graphic application that uses the concept of plastic drawing stencils to create drawings. The user selects a shape from a stencil and drags it to the drawing page. Users only have to worry about the content of the drawing rather than drawing skills.

Visio shapes appear to be the same as clipart, but unlike clipart, Visio shapes can have smarts. Information from the shapes environment can affect how a shape is displayed. For example, a shape’s color could change depending on what it is connected to. And users can create their own stencils, modify existing stencils, or obtain stencils from non-Microsoft sources.

In addition, the backend of Visio is wide open. From most programming languages, the content of a Visio drawing can be examined or modified. A program can be written to create a drawing from information in a Microsoft Excel spreadsheet, Microsoft Access database, text file, or any other data source. You can also create reports or update a data source from information in a Visio drawing.

The website is here: Visio. I myself just wrangle text boxes and arrows in Word. For what we need to do, it's faster and not format-constrained.

Return to Top
#84238 - 06/02/03 04:48 PM Re: Flowcharting software?
Rubaiyat Offline
Diamond Poster
Lido Deck
We have used Visio, and while I'm not all that familiar with its capabilities related to what you are inquiring about, we found it easy to use and very sufficient for what we needed it for. It really does product great flowcharts.

Return to Top
#84239 - 06/02/03 05:00 PM Re: Flowcharting software?
RFitzpatrick Offline
Gold Star
RFitzpatrick
Pacific NW
Quote:

that uses the concept of plastic drawing stencils.

I still have my flowchart stencil in my desk from when I started in auditing in '87. Easy to use and flexible, but doesn't integrate very well.

Return to Top