Learn More - Click Here!

Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7
Thread Options
#849994 - 11/06/07 08:26 PM Re: BOL Bookclub RR Becca
RR Joker Offline
10K Club
RR Joker
The Swamp
Oh yeah! I don't know WHY I've got Jane in my mind! Oh well...the candybar was DILISH! Thanks!

Say you'll haunt me - Stone Sour

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#852480 - 11/09/07 07:16 PM Re: BOL Bookclub RR Joker
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
OK, I need more suggestions.

My Twilight books are loaned out, so I can't reread them *again* (at lest not immediately), and usually I fill gaps in 'new' reading with revisiting classics but I just don't feel like it at the moment. I need to go to the bookstore tomorrow anyway, so does anyone have any suggestions for some light reading material? I'm very much a 'brain candy' reader, and tend to gravitate towards fantasy-ish type works.

TIA!

Return to Top
#852509 - 11/09/07 07:44 PM Re: BOL Bookclub RR Becca
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
RR Becca,

Have you ever read any of Laurel Hamilton's Anita Blake books? "Harelquin" is the latest in the series.

Return to Top
#852517 - 11/09/07 07:49 PM Re: BOL Bookclub RR Becca
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Quote:
OK, I need more suggestions.

Steve Berry:
The Amber Room
The Romanov Phrophecy
The Third (something, can't remember)

Return to Top
#852607 - 11/09/07 08:39 PM Re: BOL Bookclub Hrothgar Geiger
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
Originally Posted By: AML-Barbarian
RR Becca,

Have you ever read any of Laurel Hamilton's Anita Blake books? "Harelquin" is the latest in the series.

Not familiar with those. Quick synopsis, pretty please?

Return to Top
#852626 - 11/09/07 08:49 PM Re: BOL Bookclub RR Becca
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Wikipedia did a better job of synopsizing than I did:

Anita Blake is the heroine of a vampire slayer series written by Laurell K. Hamilton. The series takes place in a parallel fantasy world where vampires, shape shifters, werewolves, faeries, etc. exist. Her night job, and primary source of income, is the legal profession of re-animating the dead. As an "animator" in a parallel St. Louis, her job entails using magical abilities to bring temporary life to dead bodies in order to question them for legal purposes. She is a necromancer, which allows her to control the dead, including vampires and zombies, but not ghosts and ghouls. She is also a licensed vampire hunter/executioner, with eventual empowerment as a Federal Marshal. In her world this profession involves tracking down and killing vampires who have murdered humans. She is also held in retainer for the Regional Preternatural Investigation Team (RPIT, pronounced Rip-it), which investigates supernatural crimes committed involving magic, vampires, werewolves, and other superrnatural creatures.

A strong protagonist in the series, Blake is very direct, rude, and yet highly competent in the professions she is involved in. She is trained in judo, kenpo and knows how to use several weapons, but is most efficient with guns (the Browning Hi-Power being her firearm of choice). She is also a devout Christian which often creates moral dilemmas for the character. She is currently of the Episcopalian faith, having left Catholisism since the Catholic church has excommunicated all animators. She is of mixed heritage: Her mother was Mexican and her father's family was German.

Anita is hardboiled, flippant and stubborn. Like Kinsey Millhone and V.I. Warshawski, she has major emotional issues, is frequently the only female in macho situations, and tends to come across as quite prickly and difficult. Like Spenser and Matthew Scudder, she plays knight errant, championing vulnerable characters who ask for her help. Anita also lacks tact, loses her temper, and is insubordinate.

In discussing the genesis of the character, Hamilton has said:

"I started reading a lot of hardboiled detective fiction — Robert B. Parker in particular — and I read a lot of strong female protagonists. But there was one problem, a difference between the male and female protagonists of the different series — even the strongest of the women did not get to do some of the things the men got to do. The men got to cuss, the women rarely; the men got to kill people and not feel bad about it, if the women killed someone they had to feel really, really bad about it afterward and it had to be an extreme situation; the men got to have sex, often and on stage and very casually, but if the women had sex it had to be offstage, very sanitized. I thought this was unfair." [1]
Also like Spenser, Blake bears a close Mary Sue-like resemblance to the series author, is somewhat idealized in terms of strength and fighting skill, and shares other traits with the author — Laurell K. Hamilton also has a fear of flying and lost her mother as a child. The character has been criticized as a mere stand-in or wish fulfillment for the author as the number of men who find Blake attractive has grown, particularly in later books.

Return to Top
#852638 - 11/09/07 08:59 PM Re: BOL Bookclub Hrothgar Geiger
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
Thanks! Those look interesting...I'll have to check them out.

Return to Top
#852732 - 11/09/07 10:16 PM Re: BOL Bookclub RR Becca
bonette Offline
100 Club
georgia
Stephenie Meyer, the author of the Twilight series, has co-authored a book called Prom Nights from He//. I thought I might check this one out over the weekend and see if it compares to Twilight.

Return to Top
#852931 - 11/11/07 12:12 PM Re: BOL Bookclub bonette
pjs Offline
10K Club
pjs
oHiO
I'm on a Heather Graham kick. I just picked up 7 paperback books of hers from the used book store. Waanoo!

Return to Top
#852932 - 11/11/07 01:55 PM Re: BOL Bookclub pjs
Roger That Offline
Platinum Poster
Roger That
Penna.
Any good anthologies of short horror stories?

Return to Top
#853221 - 11/13/07 02:44 PM Re: BOL Bookclub bonette
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
Originally Posted By: bonette
Stephenie Meyer, the author of the Twilight series, has co-authored a book called Prom Nights from He//. I thought I might check this one out over the weekend and see if it compares to Twilight.

I've heard that's really funny. I think it's supposed to be a collection of short stories by several different authors, though? Not sure. I'll have to remember to look for that one, too.

Return to Top
#853993 - 11/14/07 02:53 PM Re: BOL Bookclub RR Becca
bonette Offline
100 Club
georgia
I read Wicked Lovely by Melissa Marr, over the weekend and it was pretty good. It's about fairies instead of vampires.

Return to Top
#854008 - 11/14/07 03:08 PM Re: BOL Bookclub bonette
kitten Offline
10K Club
kitten
Not prison
i just finished paulo coelho's The Zahir. v v good!!

i also finished Judge and Jury by James patterson. eh. preditable.

Return to Top
#854021 - 11/14/07 03:21 PM Re: BOL Bookclub kitten
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
Well, I've jumped into rereading Sense and Sensibility, with Pride and Prejudice & Mansfield Park lined up right behind it. Loved them in high school and have been meaning to reread them for a while now....anyone who has read the Twilight series will understand the sudden need to read them again NOW. Midsummer Night's Dream is in queue following Mansfield Park (MP doesn't actually have anything to do with Twilight - neither does Sense & Sensibility for that matter - they're just my two favorite Jane Austen works).

I'm well past due a trip to the bookstore. I never did make it over there this weekend.

Return to Top
#854036 - 11/14/07 03:28 PM Re: BOL Bookclub RR Becca
kitten Offline
10K Club
kitten
Not prison
Originally Posted By: RR Becca

I'm well past due a trip to the bookstore. I never did make it over there this weekend.

this is like a yawn for me - it's contageous!!! i wanna go to the bookstore now too!!!!!!!

Return to Top
#854149 - 11/14/07 04:48 PM Re: BOL Bookclub Ops
Comp Guy No More Offline
Diamond Poster
Comp Guy No More
North East
Just finished "The Innocent Man" and now starting Michael Connelly's "City of Bones"

Return to Top
#854175 - 11/14/07 05:09 PM Re: BOL Bookclub Comp Guy No More
Cowboys Fan Offline
Power Poster
SC
I read Book of the Dead by Patricia Cornwell on Monday. It reminded me of some of her older Scarpetta novels but I'm wondering if this series is about over.

Return to Top
#854474 - 11/14/07 08:22 PM Re: BOL Bookclub Cowboys Fan
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Running and riding everywhere ...
I'm re-reading New Moon and then will re-read Eclipse. I also have an urge to read Sense and Sensibility, Pride and Prejudice & Mansfield Park as well.

Return to Top
#854854 - 11/15/07 01:45 PM Re: BOL Bookclub RR Jen
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
Quote:
I'm re-reading New Moon and then will re-read Eclipse. I also have an urge to read Sense and Sensibility, Pride and Prejudice & Mansfield Park as well.
Don't forget to include Midsummer Night's Dream - though we have 'til August on that one. That's what the 4th book will be loosely based on. So far they've been - Twilight: Pride & Predjudice, New Moon: Romeo & Juliet, Eclipse: Wuthering Heights. I've hated Wuthering Heights every time I've read it, and can pretty much recite R&J, so Pride & Prejudice is the only one I feel the need to look at again right now. I remember liking Midsummer Night's Dream, but I've only read it once and don't recall much detail - I do remember thinking it was a bit hard to follow (plays are always a bit awkward to read, IMO).

Am almost finished with Sense & Sensibility...I'd forgotten how much I liked this one.

Return to Top
#869791 - 12/10/07 05:07 PM Re: BOL Bookclub RR Becca
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
I don't usually read non-fiction but I picked up Escape by Carolyn Jessop (she escaped from a polygamous society)on Friday. I finished the book yesterday. It was very interesting.

Return to Top
#875837 - 12/19/07 03:36 PM Re: BOL Bookclub RR Sarah
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
I just finished 'One for the Money' by Janet Evanovich - the first of the Stephanie Plum books. (Yes, I owe the referral to this thread!) Fun, quick read! I may have to pick up another of those at some point. For what it's worth though...I like Tami Hoag's murder mysteries better.

Return to Top
#875839 - 12/19/07 03:37 PM Re: BOL Bookclub RR Becca
RR Sarah Offline
Power Poster
RR Sarah
Up North
Becca-In my opinion, the Stephanie Plum series gets better as you go along.

Return to Top
#875889 - 12/19/07 04:12 PM Re: BOL Bookclub RR Sarah
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
I'll keep that in mind. A few of the Kim Harrison vampire mysteries are next in line, though. Then a Rita Mae Brown, then Inkheart (want to read it before the movie comes out). By mid-January Yasmine Galenorn's third book 'Darkling' should be out, so I've got enough to keep me entertained for a while. Oh, and the Laurel K. Hamilton vampire books are still on my list but I'm having a hard time finding the first one...I may have to resort to Amazon.

Return to Top
Page 7 of 7 1 2 3 4 5 6 7