BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#842605 - 10/25/07 07:30 PM Add Brother To Prayer List
Bones Offline
Power Poster
Bones
Land of Enchantment
Just wanted to add my brother to all of your prayer lists. My brother is 43 and has had epilepsy all of his life and dependent on medications to get him through the day without a seizure. His life has revolved around this, as he continues to have light seizures off and on even with the meds, and has just been through so much in his life. His neurologist and PCP, along with a lot of pushing from my mom (God Bless moms!), have gotten him approved through medicaid to go to the Mayo Clinic in Arizona and they will be leaving this weekend for him to be evaluated to see if there is anything they can do to help him. This could be big for him. He doesn't want to get too excited about it all because he doesn't want to be disappointed again. Please keep him in prayer. I am praying they will be able to do something for him to rid this from his life. Big prayers, but we have a BIG GOD. Thanks.

Return to Top
#842627 - 10/25/07 07:42 PM Re: Add Brother To Prayer List Bones
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
God bless him! I will definitely keep him in my prayers. Hope those docs can get this under control for him.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#842633 - 10/25/07 07:43 PM Re: Add Brother To Prayer List waldensouth
Skittles Online
10K Club
Skittles
TN
More prayers coming from Central, GA.

Return to Top
#842655 - 10/25/07 08:00 PM Re: Add Brother To Prayer List Skittles
kitten Offline
10K Club
kitten
Not prison
prayers from new england.

Return to Top
#842707 - 10/25/07 08:30 PM Re: Add Brother To Prayer List kitten
BurntSienna Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
My prayers will be with your brother and with you and all of your family. This is a really difficult card to be dealt. Are you or your mom and/or your brother involved with the fantastic folks at the Epilepsy Foundation? They have amazing resources that might help your family as you struggle to find something that works for him. Have you investigated the RNS implant that applies a pulse to the site of the abnormal electrical activity to help prevent seizures? They're having really good success with it in clinical trials.

Except for the "all of his life" part, this first post here could have been written about me a few years ago; I was at that level of frustration and considering taking a trip to the Mayo clinic without worrying about who was going to pay for it. Fortunately, I found an amazing doctor here and excellent medications that keep me relatively seizure-free most weeks, but I still struggle with seizures on occasion. I had to "fire" many doctors (even supposedly great ones) and try a bazillion different meds, dosages, and combinations of meds (and play around with what time of day to take them - I split dosages across multiple times per day even though I take extended-release type meds and supposedly it shouldn't make any difference if I take it all at once... but it makes a huge difference) but we finally found some good combos of drugs that work for me. I live in fear of the drug company discontinuing one or more of my meds or raising the price even higher so that I would be forced to try something different. I don't want to change a thing - if it ain't broke, don't fix it!

Hang in there, Bones, and I will send out all the prayers and positive thoughts I can. If you need an ear, or if I can be of any help, please feel free to PM me. I'm living proof that one can go through the heck of struggling with seizure disorder and all the frustration and limitations that go along with it and come through on the other side and lead a relatively ordinary life on more days than not.

Return to Top
#842752 - 10/25/07 08:59 PM Re: Add Brother To Prayer List BurntSienna
Bones Offline
Power Poster
Bones
Land of Enchantment
Thank you all, and BurntSienna, thank you for sharing your story. I don't believe my brother has any information on the Epilepsy Foundation as far as I know, but I will check into that for him. I also have never heard of the RNS implant and don't know if that is something his neurologist has discussed with him or not, but it sounds like something to look into as well. I am hoping and praying that the Mayo Clinic will be able to do something for him. It has affected his life so much that he can't even drive or maintain steady employment. He has had two accidents due to seizures while driving, and decided he was better off not continuing that for fear of killing himself or someone else. I know he has been on several different meds, but none that have completely controlled the seizures. It is heartbreaking to watch him go through it all, I can't imagine how he feels or how you felt. Thank you again for sharing. I may be bugging you for more information. Yours is the kind of story my brother needs to hear more of.

Return to Top
#842781 - 10/25/07 09:15 PM Re: Add Brother To Prayer List Bones
BurntSienna Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
You are very welcome, Bones. I'm happy to help out in any way I can. My life is back on track, and I hope your brother's will be as well one day soon.

Return to Top
#842815 - 10/25/07 10:03 PM Re: Add Brother To Prayer List BurntSienna
corkygirl Offline
Power Poster
middle of the country
Bones, prayers for your brother from Illinois.
BurntSienna, I'm so glad to hear that your life if back on track. What a blessing that is.

Return to Top
#842818 - 10/25/07 10:08 PM Re: Add Brother To Prayer List corkygirl
Sing A Little Offline
Power Poster
Sing A Little
CA
Bones my prayers go out to your brother and family. BurntSienna that was very brave of you to share your story, and I am so glad that you are ok.

Return to Top
#843067 - 10/26/07 01:43 PM Re: Add Brother To Prayer List Sing A Little
Ops Offline
Power Poster
Ops
Georgia
Bones.. prayers for your brother, your family, and the doctors who treat/will be treating his epilepsy.

Return to Top
#843414 - 10/26/07 04:29 PM Re: Add Brother To Prayer List Ops
BurntSienna Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
Thank you all so much for the kind words to me. Bones, your brother will continue to be in my daily thoughts and prayers.

Epilepsy Foundation
Phone: (800) 332 - 1000

Here are some articles about the RNS:
http://www.seizurestudy.com/
http://www.ohsu.edu/ohsuedu/newspub/releases/101807epilepsy.cfm

Return to Top
#843466 - 10/26/07 04:55 PM Re: Add Brother To Prayer List BurntSienna
Bones Offline
Power Poster
Bones
Land of Enchantment
Originally Posted By: BurntSienna
Thank you all so much for the kind words to me. Bones, your brother will continue to be in my daily thoughts and prayers.

Epilepsy Foundation
Phone: (800) 332 - 1000

Here are some articles about the RNS:
http://www.seizurestudy.com/
http://www.ohsu.edu/ohsuedu/newspub/releases/101807epilepsy.cfm

Thank you so much! I appreciate the information and the prayers!

Return to Top
#843540 - 10/26/07 05:28 PM Re: Add Brother To Prayer List Bones
Beige Offline
Power Poster
Beige
prayers from florida too!

Return to Top
#844042 - 10/27/07 06:48 PM Re: Add Brother To Prayer List Beige
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
God bless your brother Bones, and for the doctors wisdom to find a way to make his life more tolerable.

Last edited by Pale Rider; 10/27/07 06:49 PM.

Return to Top
#844383 - 10/29/07 05:06 PM Re: Add Brother To Prayer List Pale Rider
Quadspapa Offline
Power Poster
Quadspapa
Quadrupletville, Texas
May God bless you Bones, your brother, and the rest of your family during this time. Prayers for the best outcome!~!!

Return to Top
#844989 - 10/30/07 11:55 AM Re: Add Brother To Prayer List Quadspapa
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Good luck to you and oyur family, bones.

Return to Top
#894283 - 01/25/08 11:16 PM Re: Add Brother To Prayer List Retired DQ
Bones Offline
Power Poster
Bones
Land of Enchantment
Just requesting continued prayers for my brother. He will be going back to the Mayo Clinic next week and is scheduled for surgery February 4th. His doctor's are very optimistic that they can help him. Please keep him in prayer.

Return to Top
#894481 - 01/28/08 01:09 PM Re: Add Brother To Prayer List Bones
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Good luck to him, bones!

Return to Top
#894489 - 01/28/08 01:25 PM Re: Add Brother To Prayer List Retired DQ
Snow Bunny Offline
10K Club
Snow Bunny