Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#84290 - 06/02/03 04:05 PM HOEPA - Reportable even when a non-borrowers......
Some Days You Just Can't Win Offline
Gold Star
Some Days You Just Can't Win
Mississippi River Valley
We have a loan where the borrower is wanting to use his parents home as collaterol. The parents are not co-signers, simply pledging their home. We've run the calculation through the worksheet, and it comes up as a high cost loan.

Since this is their primary residence on the line, would this be considered a HOEPA reportable loan?

Thanks for any shared opinions.

Return to Top
General Discussion
#84291 - 06/02/03 04:17 PM Re: HOEPA - Reportable even when a non-borrowers......
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
This is a good question and one I haven't seen before.

Here's by opinion. No it's not HOEPA. The Father and Mother are not consumers for the purpose of HOEPA under the Reg. Z definition.

Return to Top
#84292 - 06/02/03 04:25 PM Re: HOEPA - Reportable even when a non-borrowers......
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
I disagree, as this transaction would be rescindable:

226.31(e)"...If there is more than one consumer, the disclosures may be made to any consumer who is primarily liable on the obligation. If the transaction is rescindable under Sec. 226.15 or Sec. 226.23, however, the disclosures shall be made to each consumer who has the right to rescind. "

Return to Top
#84293 - 06/02/03 04:50 PM Re: HOEPA - Reportable even when a non-borrowers......
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Randy, I agree. I looked at the definition under 226.2 and realized ROR would apply, but by looking at 226.32 I wasn't appling that to the HOEPA disclosure. My mistake, I didn't look at 226.31. or take into account that all persons subject to ROR are to receive the "material" disclsoures. (oh well it's Monday )

Return to Top
#84294 - 06/02/03 05:57 PM Re: HOEPA - Reportable even when a non-borrowers......
Anonymous
Unregistered

Dan, I think your first answer was correct. The loan is not subject to Section 32 because the father and mother are not consumers for purposes of Section 32. The credit is not being extended to them. They are consumers for RoR purposes, but being subject to the RoR doesn't make the loan subject to Section 32.

Return to Top
#84295 - 06/02/03 06:14 PM Re: HOEPA - Reportable even when a non-borrowers......
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Anon R Us - if that is the case, then how do explain footnote 48?

48 The term ``material disclosures'' means the required disclosures of the annual percentage rate, the finance charge, the amount financed, the total payments, the payment schedule, and the disclosures and limitations referred to in Sec. 226.32 (c) and (d).

Return to Top
#84296 - 06/02/03 06:23 PM Re: HOEPA - Reportable even when a non-borrowers......
SMQ, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
SMQ, CRCM
Between the lines
Testing myself here --- the parents have ROR, but not the borrowers (they do not have ownership in the collateral) Right?

Return to Top
#84297 - 06/02/03 06:26 PM Re: HOEPA - Reportable even when a non-borrowers......
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
That's correct, the parents have the right of rescission. It would only be logical that since they are pledging their home for a HOEPA loan that they would also receive the disclosures.

Return to Top
#84298 - 06/02/03 06:50 PM Re: HOEPA - Reportable even when a non-borrowers......
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
I disagree. I do not believe that anyone has ROR, but I do believe the transaction is subject to HOEPA.

Definition of Consumer - 226.2(a)
(11) Consumer means a cardholder or a natural person to whom consumer credit is offered or extended. However, for purposes of rescission under §§ 226.15 and 226.23, the term also includes a natural person in whose principal dwelling a security interest is or will be retained or acquired, if that person's ownership interest in the dwelling is or will be subject to the security interest.

The borrower's are not the owners, therefore they do not have ROR. The owners do not live there, so they do not have ROR either.

However, under coverage for HOEPA:
226.32(a)(a) Coverage. (1) Except as provided in paragraph (a)(2) of this section, the requirements of this section apply to a consumer credit transaction that is secured by the consumer's principal dwelling, and in which either: then beings the APR & the Points/Fees test

So you are making a loan to a consumer in which his/her primary dwelling will be taken as collateral. Note - Section 32 does NOT appear to address ownership interest. I don't see anything in the Commentary that would indicate otherwise.

Return to Top
#84299 - 06/02/03 06:51 PM Re: HOEPA - Reportable even when a non-borrowers......
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Anon R US, I have to agree with Randy on this one. My first answer was incorrect as I did not take into account that the parties that have the ROR are also to get all applicable material disclosues. In this case not only the TIL, but also the HOEPA disclosure since the loan exceeds the threshold .

Return to Top
#84300 - 06/02/03 06:59 PM Re: HOEPA - Reportable even when a non-borrowers......
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Quote:

The owners do not live there, so they do not have ROR either.

Bonnie, how did you summize this? According to the original post "mom & dad" are pledging their home as collateral for the loan, therefore their ownership interest will be subject to the security interest.

From the original post:

Quote:

Since this is their primary residence on the line, would this be considered a HOEPA reportable loan?

Return to Top
#84301 - 06/02/03 07:04 PM Re: HOEPA - Reportable even when a non-borrowers......
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Dan - My bad. The usual situation I see is when the parents own the home that the kids live in. I hear many times where ROR is given to the parents in that situation even when it is not required.

Please disregard my answer on ROR. But the Section 32 question is left hanging, but in this day and age, I would go ahead and give the HOEPA disclosures as well.

Return to Top
#84302 - 06/02/03 07:07 PM Re: HOEPA - Reportable even when a non-borrowers......
Deena Offline
Power Poster
Deena
PA
I agree with Dan and Randy. The parents are consumers for rescission purposes because their principal residence is being used as collateral. Anyone with the right to rescind also has the right to receive all of the material disclosures which, according to footnote 48, include the HOEPA disclosures.

Return to Top
#84303 - 06/02/03 07:10 PM Re: HOEPA - Reportable even when a non-borrowers......
rlcarey Offline
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Quote:

But the Section 32 question is left hanging, but ....

Bonnie, why do you feel this is left hanging - I see no gray area??

Return to Top
#84304 - 06/02/03 07:19 PM Re: HOEPA - Reportable even when a non-borrowers......
Princess Romeo Offline

Power Poster
Princess Romeo
Where the heart is
Quote:

Bonnie, why do you feel this is left hanging - I see no gray area??

The Gray area gets back to the definition of Consumer in both 226.2 and its use in 226.32. I can see an argument being made that the owners of the home are not borrowers, therefore Section 32 does not apply. However, I can see a more conservative approach saying that all Primary Dwelling owners need to be protected.

BTW - I really feel foolish for mis-reading the initial question! And geez - right after I got the CRCM!
Just goes to show, you should never ASSUME anything!

Return to Top
#84305 - 06/02/03 07:20 PM Re: HOEPA - Reportable even when a non-borrowers......
Anonymous
Unregistered

Randy, I agree that the Section 32 disclosures are material disclosures, but they need to be provided only if the loan is subject to section 32. They are not required simply because the loan is subject to the right of rescission. My contention is that this loan is not subject to Section 32 because the borrowers are not pledging their primary collateral, and the people who are pledging their primary collateral are not consumers per the definition in 226.2(a)(11): "Consumer means a cardholder or a natural person to whom consumer credit is offered or extended."

That definition includes a natural person who pledges their primary dwelling, but ONLY for purposes of Sections 226.15 and 226.23, NOT for purposes of Section 32. Mom and Dad fit that definition for RoR purposes, but not for Section 32 purposes, therefore, Section 32 does not apply and no Section 32 notice is required.

Return to Top
#84306 - 06/02/03 07:57 PM Re: HOEPA - Reportable even when a non-borrowers......
Deena Offline
Power Poster
Deena
PA
Anon, you've convinced me. Actually, that's where I started when I first started reading this thread. I thought Dan was correct the first time. And, now I'm back where I started: The loan itself is not a HOEPA loan because the parents (whose principal dwelling will secure the loan) do not meet the definition of consumer for purposes of Section 32. The parents do, however, have the right to rescind, as they meet the definition of consumer for Section 23. If the loan was a HOEPA loan, the parents would have a right to the disclosure, since it is a material disclosure; but the loan is not subject to Section 32, so there is no HOEPA disclosure to give them.
Last edited by Deena; 06/02/03 08:11 PM.

Return to Top
#84307 - 06/02/03 08:07 PM Re: HOEPA - Reportable even when a non-borrowers......
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
Anon R Us, you make a very convincing argument and as my original answer indicated I agreed with you. But I'm still not re-convinced as all persons (consumers) with the ROR are entitled to all material disclosures and if the loan exceed the threshold would this not make it a high-cost loan where the "consumer" has the opportunity to lose their home.

This has not been a good Monday for me.

Return to Top
#84308 - 06/02/03 08:23 PM Re: HOEPA - Reportable even when a non-borrowers......
Sinatra Fan Offline
Power Poster
Sinatra Fan
New Jersey
This thread is another scrap of evidence that government regulation is a lot like rubbing two sticks together: a lot more heat than light is generated.

I admire the patience and fortitude that you all display in attempting to determine exactly what some beltway policy wonks meant or intended with their turgid prose (and what the unintended consequences of dueling regulations may be!). I must confess that such patience too often eludes me.

Thank you for your brave and unstinting efforts! My respect for you continues to grow with each passing regulation.

Return to Top
#84309 - 06/02/03 08:48 PM Re: HOEPA - Reportable even when a non-borrowers......
Deena Offline
Power Poster
Deena
PA
Quote:

Anon R Us, you make a very convincing argument and as my original answer indicated I agreed with you. But I'm still not re-convinced as all persons (consumers) with the ROR are entitled to all material disclosures and if the loan exceed the threshold would this not make it a high-cost loan where the "consumer" has the opportunity to lose their home.

This has not been a good Monday for me.

Dan, I think you have to start with Section 32 to determine whether you even have a HOEPA loan to begin with. In this case, since the borrowers are the "consumers" for purposes of Section 32 (the definition is only expanded for rescission purposes), and their principal dwelling doesn't secure the loan, we don't meet the first part of the requirement under Section 32. If we had met the first part, then we would have had to move on to the tests to determine whether the threshold was exceeded. Since we don't have a HOEPA loan, we have no HOEPA disclosure to give the parents, even though they'll get the other material disclosures because they have the right to rescind.

Return to Top
#84310 - 06/02/03 09:09 PM Re: HOEPA - Reportable even when a non-borrowers......
Anonymous
Unregistered

Well said Deena, and that is my point exactly - you first determine whether the loan is subject to Section 32, and if it is then you worry about who gets the disclosure. As you so eloquently stated, the definition of consumer is only expanded for rescission purposes, not for Section 32 purposes, and for that reason the loan in question is not subject to Section 32.

Return to Top
#84311 - 06/02/03 09:10 PM Re: HOEPA - Reportable even when a non-borrowers......
Some Days You Just Can't Win Offline
Gold Star
Some Days You Just Can't Win
Mississippi River Valley
Thank you all for your thoughts and comments.

Quote:

I admire the patience and fortitude that you all display in attempting to determine exactly what some beltway policy wonks meant or intended with their turgid prose (and what the unintended consequences of dueling regulations may be!). I must confess that such patience too often eludes me.

Thank you for your brave and unstinting efforts! My respect for you continues to grow with each passing regulation.

And I whole-heartedly agree with Stephens comments!! The BOL community is the best!! BMK

Return to Top
#84312 - 06/02/03 09:37 PM Re: HOEPA - Reportable even when a non-borrowers......
Johncrcm Offline
100 Club
Eastern KY
Quote:

This thread is another scrap of evidence that government regulation is a lot like rubbing two sticks together: a lot more heat than light is generated.

I agree Kimosabie, the brightness of the flame will not glow very brightly because the author of this section is possibly retarded.

What we have not discussed here is the fact that the two borrowers have been provided the disclosures and have once again been "saved from those awfull predatory lenders". That "truth in Lending" has once again faced the enemy and won! . . . . High Ho Silver, . . . Away!!

Return to Top
#84313 - 06/02/03 09:47 PM Re: HOEPA - Reportable even when a non-borrowers......
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
OK, don’t put me through another Monday this week, please.

After re-reading and re-reading and re-reading, I’m going to concede to Anon R Us and Deena.

My concession is based on the definition of Consumer Credit and Credit. Consumer Credit is not being offered to the mother and father.

§226.32: Requirements for Certain Closed-End Home Mortgages (01/01/02)
(a) Coverage.
(1) Except as provided in paragraph (a)(2) of this section, the requirements of this section apply to a consumer credit transaction that is secured by the consumer's principal dwelling, and in which either:

§226.2: Definitions and Rules of Construction (01/01/97)

(11) Consumer means a cardholder or a natural person to whom consumer credit is offered or extended . However, for purposes of rescission under §§226.15 and 226.23, the term also includes a natural person in whose principal dwelling a security interest is or will be retained or acquired, if that person's ownership interest in the dwelling is or will be subject to the security interest.

(12) Consumer credit means credit offered or extended to a consumer primarily for personal, family, or household purposes.

(14) Credit means the right to defer payment of debt or to incur debt and defer its payment.

I think I'll by-pass the Miller Lite tonight and go straight for the Crown.

Return to Top