Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#786882 - 08/01/07 02:02 PM "Internet" CDs - Does anyone offer them?!?
VickiS Offline
100 Club
VickiS
Madison, Wisconsin
Good Morning --

We are considering offering an "Internet" CD to a specific group of customers, and are wondering whether many banks are doing this.

If so, would anyone be willing to offer any advice in regards to CIP, etc.?

Thanks,

Vicki S.

Return to Top
eBanking / Technology
#787279 - 08/01/07 06:48 PM Re: "Internet" CDs - Does anyone offer them?!? VickiS
VickiS Offline
100 Club
VickiS
Madison, Wisconsin
Maybe there is some confusion as to what I'm asking. What we are intending to do is to allow customers to open a specific type of Certificate of Deposit via the internet. As this is new territory for us, we want to not only ensure that we are following all requried compliance rules, but also that we are following strong safety and soundness procedures.

Return to Top
#791191 - 08/08/07 04:32 PM Re: "Internet" CDs - Does anyone offer them?!? VickiS
KBee Offline
New Poster
Vicki,it doesn't look like you have gotten any responses, so I will tell you what we are doing. We permit customers to apply for a CD account through our website. We do a CIP check of the customer before we open the account just as we would with any customer. Funds to purchase a CD can either be wired to our bank or the customer can authorize an electronic debit to their checking or savings account at another bank. We have a special disclosure for CDs that are purchsed this way which specifies that no withdrawals will be permitted for 90 days. Otherwise, the process is very similar to a customer who contacts us by telephone or regular mail. Hope this is helpful.

Return to Top
#791225 - 08/08/07 05:21 PM Re: "Internet" CDs - Does anyone offer them?!? KBee
Titanic Offline
Gold Star
Titanic
My Workplace
I agree with Kbee.

Your current CIP procedures for opening accounts at face-to-face level should be the based to tailor procedures for online accounts.

I would definetively conduct a risk assessment as well.

Return to Top
#793151 - 08/10/07 11:33 PM Re: "Internet" CDs - Does anyone offer them?!? Titanic
Baseball2013 Offline
Baseball2013
We're going to start offering savings and CD's online through our Online Banking provider and a third-party partner of theirs. We're part way through the risk assessment process and I've looked around for other banks to see how they tackled their risk assessment as well as their procedures for Online Account opening.

The one bank I've been able to contact/discuss the issue with is an online-only bank, and does things a lot differently than we plan to.

Is anyone else doing this at this time? We're going to be using the CashEdge OpenNow/FundNow product.

Any help would be appreciated.

Return to Top
#846549 - 10/31/07 06:52 PM Re: "Internet" CDs - Does anyone offer them?!? Baseball2013
Carolyn31 Offline
100 Club
Nebraska
How are you handling the disclosures required at account opening? Specifically the section 230.4(a)(ii)? Is your disclosure (complete with the maturity date) available before the acccount is opened?

Return to Top
#933892 - 04/01/08 05:57 PM Re: "Internet" CDs - Does anyone offer them?!? KBee
SaaL Offline
Gold Star
The Texas Hill Country
Wondering if any of you who were considering were ever able to get comfortable with this and establish some procedures - and if so, would you be willing to share? We're considering opening accounts on-line but are having some trouble getting comfortable with the idea - particularly for new customers.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z