Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#8477 - 01/05/02 05:53 AM Training "fun"?
Bear Collector, CRCM Offline
Diamond Poster
Bear Collector, CRCM
District of Columbia
Does anyone have any ideas or programs you would be willing to share regarding BSA/Privacy Training? We are planning to create a periodic training program for both branch and non-branch personnel that will include suspicious activity, know your customer, privacy, identity theft and pretext calling. (CTR completion training is done separately) We want to do something fun that the participants will enjoy, and that will meet regulatory requirements for annual training. We are looking at something that will last about an hour, and would involve participation by the attendees, and not just a lecture from compliance.
Any ideas, suggestions, things you have tried that have worked well?
Thanks!
Leslie

Return to Top
General Discussion
#8478 - 01/04/02 06:14 PM Re: Training "fun"?
Lucy Griffin Offline

Diamond Poster
Lucy Griffin
You could always open the session by asking attendees to bring up ways they think their privacy has been violated. There are bound to be lots of examples. That gets people involved and many of the descriptions are funny.

You could also have contest for "WORST PRIVACY VIOLATION."

Return to Top
#8479 - 01/04/02 06:36 PM Re: Training "fun"?
Rubaiyat Offline
Diamond Poster
Lido Deck
We have always had good feedback whenever we have done training in a game show format such as College Bowl or Family Feud. It works better with games that have teams because people don't feel so "on the spot" if they have co-workers with them. We have teams answer a maximum of 5 or 6 questions so a number of people have the opportunity to participate. We also award fun prizes appropriate to the topic. An interesting (and fun) side note to this is watching employees interact with each other on a team who don't normally do so in their normal daily activities.

Return to Top
#8480 - 01/04/02 06:41 PM Re: Training "fun"?
KK Offline
100 Club
KK
Southern California
I've done "BSA Jeopardy" with the branch managers and had a prize for the winner. It was different from the usual video and they seemed to enjoy the interaction. Column Topics included: Suspcisious, Funds Transfer, Reporting, BSA, KYC, Exempt, $3,000 Rule, Fill in the Blanks.

Return to Top
#8481 - 01/04/02 06:49 PM Re: Training "fun"?
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
Candy as prizes also helps! Another thing you can do to follow-up on the training and on how well they have read the policy is to post a question in your company newsletter giving everyone until a specific date to e-mail or call you with the correct answer. Those who do will have their names put in a hat for a drawing. They would, of course, win a grand, fabulous, & wonderful prize. It could be anything from a gift certificate to a local restaurant to $10.00.

A variation on that is to announce during training that you will call everyone in the class during the next month or so and ask them a question from the policy. If they answer correctly, their name goes in a hat for that fabulous prize.

You can also create a "Bingo" board with answers in the boxes and chocolate Kisses as board pieces. You ask the question, they put a Kiss in the correct box. The one who gets to "Bingo" first wins something grand. With my classes, its usually a giant chocolate bar.

[This message has been edited by Louvera (edited 01-04-2002).]

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#8482 - 01/04/02 08:14 PM Re: Training "fun"?
Angel Eyes Offline
Power Poster
Angel Eyes
I just did BSA training a couple of months ago. I started the session with a brainstorming excercise - words relating to BSA - then I had them fill in a bingo sheet using the words we had brainstormed. As is I spoke they could mark off the words I had used. For prizes I gave away bank logo items such as a hat or a coffee mug.

I also used fun names and did role playing. I had evelopes with fake money and "customer" roles in them. I had someone play teller and then each person came in playing their role. It was hilarious! Everyone helped to decide if the $3000 rule applied, or if a CTR or Suspicious Activity Report should be filed.

Finally we had a senario where I completed a fake CTR using some of the mistakes we often see on CTRs. Everyone had fun shouting out all the mistakes!

Return to Top
#8483 - 01/04/02 08:29 PM Re: Training "fun"?
Diamond Poster
Bear Collector, CRCM
District of Columbia
Thanks, everyone! These are some really great ideas, and I plan to use several of them in my training.
Leslie

Return to Top
#8484 - 01/07/02 03:20 PM Re: Training "fun"?
CRAGoddess Offline
WV
Some of the most successful BSA training sessions I have ever conducted involved role playing or "skits". We would feature two or three five-minute skits during our annual training, with subjects ranging from structuring to know your customer to exemptions. Prior to the session, I would select participants to help out and provide them with a script and their costumes. My husband even built me a life-size teller window as the "stage" - complete with beautiful wallpaper, molding, and the bank logo! If you would like a copy of some of the scripts, I have them as a word document and could probably email them.

I've also composed games(bingo, monopoly, jeopardy) as was mentioned for smaller-sized groups. Candy for prizes is great - "Smarties" for correct answers and "Dum Dum" suckers for better-luck-next-time.

Return to Top
#8485 - 01/07/02 03:27 PM Re: Training "fun"?
Diamond Poster
Bear Collector, CRCM
District of Columbia
LJL,
I would love to see your scripts. You can e-mail them to me at lcallaway@ssnb.com.
Love your idea about smarties and dum-dums!! That is hysterical!
Leslie

[This message has been edited by Leslie (edited 01-07-2002).]

Return to Top
#8486 - 01/07/02 03:50 PM Re: Training "fun"?
Anonymous
Unregistered

LJL,

If you would be willing to share with other BOL users, we would be happy to post the script(s) for the skits in the Banker Tools section. Just email them to me at mbguard@bankersonline.com

Return to Top
#8487 - 01/07/02 09:08 PM Re: Training "fun"?
CRAGoddess Offline
WV
Leslie -

For some reason, I couldn't get e-mail to go through for you - I tried twice. I would be happy to fax or snail mail them to you if you want. They did go through to Mary Beth, so they may appear on BOL.

Return to Top
#8488 - 01/07/02 09:13 PM Re: Training "fun"?
Anonymous
Unregistered

LaReta's case studies/skits have now been posted on the Banker Tools page -- under the training aids category. You'll have fun with these!

Return to Top
#8489 - 01/07/02 09:16 PM Re: Training "fun"?
Diamond Poster
Bear Collector, CRCM
District of Columbia
LJL,
Don't know why the e-mail wouldn't work ... that's kinda wierd!
My Fax is 301-253-3372, or if you'd rather save the money, I can wait until MB posts them on BOL.
Thanks for trying, though.
By the way, LorriM@fnbrockies.com wants the scripts, too. I told her I would forward what you sent to me, but because you can't get through, you might want to e-mail her directly.
Thanks,
Leslie

Return to Top
#8490 - 01/08/02 08:25 PM Re: Training "fun"?
CRAGoddess Offline
WV
Leslie and Lorri -

The scripts are now on BOL in the "Tools" section, thanks to Mary Beth. Can I now say I'm a published author on my resume? lol

Return to Top
#8491 - 01/09/02 11:17 PM Re: Training "fun"?
Anonymous
Unregistered

LJL -- You're now FAMOUS -- and much appreciated, as are all of you who have contributed to the Banker Tools section on BOL.

Return to Top