Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#839267 - 10/20/07 03:15 PM Re: hysterectomy Nanwa
Snowqueen Offline
Diamond Poster
Snowqueen
dreaming of a warm beach......
I was cut hip to hip a few years back. I ended up spending a week in the hospital. I was very sick from all the meds. and spent the week throwing up. That HURT!! I also had bladder repair surgery and my appendics removed.

I had a pre-surgery visit with a nurse and she suggested eating broth soup and drinking boost or ensure for two days prior to surgery. The soup helps clean the digestive tract prior and the boost provides necessary protein for muscle repair. I kept drinking boost for about a month after.

The first week home I was not allowed to drive. I spent the better part of the day napping, reading and just taking it easy. By the end of the week I started walking each day. By the end of week two I was feeling much better. I refrained from lifting, vacuuming and difficult tasks as much as possible. I don't remember the laundy lifting bothering me and I continued to do laundry. By week three I was feeling great. I still refrained from heavy lifting.

I was back to work part-time during week 5 and 6. I was tired of staring at the walls.

I still have my ovaries therefore I did not experience the menopausal stuff. To this day if I have a deep sneeze it hurts like heck. Coughing doesn't bother me. Once in awhile I get itchy on my scar but a little itch is much better than the nasty monthly that I had prior to surgery.

Good luck future Hyster Sister!!

Return to Top
#839313 - 10/20/07 07:40 PM Re: hysterectomy Snowqueen
Princess Leia Offline
Diamond Poster
Alderaan
Has anyone out there had a C-Section and a hysterectomy (not at the same time)? I'm curious about the differences in recoveries. I've had 2 C-Sections and know that some time a hysterectomy will be in my future, but am wondering how much worse it will be.

Return to Top
#839399 - 10/21/07 03:41 PM Re: hysterectomy Princess Leia
hmdagal Online
Power Poster
hmdagal
Depending on the reason for it, and your other medical history, hysterectomies don't have to be abdominal surgery. I had mine done vaginally, so the only scars were internal. Some people can even go home the same day. I've heard that they can also do them laproscopically now.

Return to Top
#839512 - 10/22/07 02:30 PM Re: hysterectomy Nanwa
Rainbow Girl Offline
Gold Star
Midtown
Thanks for all of the info. I hope my bladder will not be a problem. I will put that on my list to ask the Dr. also. I went to St Theresa's Oktoberfest this weekend to stock up on books. I also went to the grocery and got my heavy shopping out of the way, Big bag of dog food, cat food, litter. I am getting ready, well at least trying to prepare.

Again, thank all you for helpful hints and experienced insight.

Return to Top
#844562 - 10/29/07 07:18 PM Re: hysterectomy Rainbow Girl
KAT Offline
Platinum Poster
Massachusetts
I was on vacation so I am just catching up.

Princess Leia

I had 2 C-Sections and later I had the hystorectomy. Emotionally there is a big difference. Once you come home with a present (the baby) and the other you have nothing as a reward. I think because I had the time on my hands I noticed how I felt more with the hysterectomy. I also had they surgery vaginally.

I had a prolapse that also took the bladder and colon with it. I had my first sling put in 13 years ago. I was not told at the time it was not permanent (they usually lasted 5 years) and 1 year ago I needed a replacement. With the change in materials this should be permanent.

Let me know if you want more information.

Return to Top
#844704 - 10/29/07 08:46 PM Re: hysterectomy KAT
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
KAT, I felt so lousy before the surgery, that afterwards I felt great! That could have been the drugs..... but I really felt better. Having a lot of time on my hands it great - I love reading. Mother kept me well supplied with no-brainer magazines like People that I could read without thinking.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#844769 - 10/29/07 09:28 PM Re: hysterectomy waldensouth
AngelinaLM Offline
Diamond Poster
Boise, ID
I havent had a hysterectomy, so I dont have anything to add to this thread..other than I wish you a speedy recovery and I love saying the technical word for a complete hysterectomy---hyster salpingo oopherectomy

Return to Top
#848649 - 11/02/07 10:55 PM Re: hysterectomy AngelinaLM
Rainbow Girl Offline
Gold Star
Midtown
I made it through the surgery. Came home yesterday, November 1st. I am mostly sore and gassey. I actually feel a lot better than I thought I would. Taking it easy, but trying to get up and move around so I don't get stiff. My ex Mother in law and daughter are on their way here from GA. Should be here around 10 or 10:30. They sent me a beautiful flower arrangement in a pumpkin. Of course Tina has been taking care of me, but she had to work this evening.

Small world story....

I was talking to my room mate in the hospital, you know the typical get to know you questions. Where she was from, where she worked... Tina came to visit later that night and I was telling her about this girl and we came to the conclusion that she worked with this girl's husband. It was nice to have a friendly person in the room that knew exactly what I was going through and Tina got to see one of her coworkers and meet his wife.

Time for me to get up and move around a little.

Return to Top
#848667 - 11/02/07 11:19 PM Re: hysterectomy Rainbow Girl
MichelleDawn Offline
Power Poster
MichelleDawn
I never had a hysterectomy, but I have had abdominal surgery and if you can lie on the floor for about half an hour you will get rid of most the gas. They pump you full of air for the surgery and if you lie on that hard surface, most of the air escapes. This was what my doctor told me so it's not just an old wives tale.

Glad you made it through OK. Rest and feel better.

Return to Top
#848697 - 11/03/07 04:06 PM Re: hysterectomy MichelleDawn
Sing A Little Offline
Power Poster
Sing A Little
CA
I'm glad that you made it through surgery and that you're on the road to recovery. Take care and get rest!

Return to Top
#848804 - 11/05/07 02:36 PM Re: hysterectomy Sing A Little
KAT Offline
Platinum Poster
Massachusetts
I am glad you fine after the surgery. Take care of yourself and relax while you can.

Return to Top
#851001 - 11/07/07 09:15 PM Re: hysterectomy KAT
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
Glad to hear all went well. Get plenty of rest and don't rush the recovery. You want everything to heal well.

Return to Top
Page 2 of 2 1 2

Moderator:  Andy_Z, John Burnett