Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#848696 - 11/03/07 03:55 PM Cereal and Religion on Aisle 5
Sing A Little Offline
Power Poster
Sing A Little
CA
Ok, I normally don't talk religion in the threads, but I had a very strange experience this morning.

I went to the grocery store and a woman came right up to me and tried to convert me to her religion. She asked me a few questions and actually pushed me until I said, "My religious beliefs are my own and I would appreciate it if you stop pushing yours on me".

It really bothered me that this woman did this, and it took me completely off guard at the grocery store.

Has this type of thing ever happened to you? If so, how did you handle it?

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#848698 - 11/03/07 04:45 PM Re: Cereal and Religion on Aisle 5 Sing A Little
BurntSienna Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
Anyone who's ever taken public transportation has probably had this happen to them! I know I do - I have this situation on a regular basis. There's a guy on a bus route that I take, he's ALWAYS there... he must ride the buses 24/7. He walks right up the aisle and stands in front of my seat and half shouts into my face, "Have you accepted Jesus Christ as your personal savior? Have you been born again? When were you born again? What church? What pastor?" I used to try and talk religion with him, but he's really pushy and really gets in my face and makes me uncomfortable. He's one of those people who is loyal to only one pastor, who he's made into a sort of demigod. He isn't so much religious as scarily cult-like, so now I say calmly, "I do NOT want to discuss religion with you. I'm very happy with my own religious beliefs. Please go and sit down instead of standing in my way." He usually winds down at that point, and ambles on back to his seat (or to annoy someone else on the bus) with a few mutterings that my soul will burn in eternity because of my <choose one: high heeled shoes, iPod, clothing, briefcase, etc.>. There is one bus driver who always comes to my rescue and tells this guy to back off or get off (the bus) immediately.

I'm sure I'll get slammed/flamed for this, but I really don't appreciate people suddenly and loudly getting in my face and pushing their religion on me in a public place. If they want to try and proselytize that's fine, but once I calmly and politely say I'm not interested and that I'm totally happy with my own religious views and beliefs, I think they ought to back off.

Return to Top
#848700 - 11/03/07 05:51 PM Re: Cereal and Religion on Aisle 5 BurntSienna
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: BurntSienna
I'm sure I'll get slammed/flamed for this, but I really don't appreciate people suddenly and loudly getting in my face and pushing their religion on me in a public place. If they want to try and proselytize that's fine, but once I calmly and politely say I'm not interested and that I'm totally happy with my own religious views and beliefs, I think they ought to back off.

I'd be surprised if anyone here disagrees with that. I think the problem is revealed by your choice of words - I don't mean to judge, but I think these people are much more interested in scoring religious points (and they view what they are doing as a religious act) than they are in living a life of faith.

Return to Top
#848726 - 11/04/07 03:22 PM Re: Cereal and Religion on Aisle 5 Jokerman
buggs Offline
Power Poster
TT, are you saying Sienna's choice words reveal a problem with how she deals with these people, or are you saying her choice of words reveal a problem with the people who approach her? Or are you saying something else?

Return to Top
#848733 - 11/04/07 09:46 PM Re: Cereal and Religion on Aisle 5 buggs
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
I am saying that her choice of words reflects a view of God and how man relates to him that is a problem for a lot of people, including, in my opinion, someone who would suddenly and loudly get in her face in a public place, pushing their religion on her. How often do you hear someone complain about another person pushing their faith on another person? I'm not saying that no one ever makes such a complaint, but I certainly don't hear it as often, if they do.

Return to Top
#848743 - 11/05/07 01:50 AM Re: Cereal and Religion on Aisle 5 Jokerman
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
It is a very valid and apt distinction. In one instance, we are talking about pushing the actual orgainzed religion on another person. In other threads, I have referred to this as a tribal consciousness. However, when one witnesses sincerely to their faith, that is not necessarily a tribal consciousness, not a "my way and us vs. your way and them." When someone witnesses to their faith, that person sincerely wants to share with others a good, the greatest good, becasue the witness earnestly desires the good of the person with whom they are sharing. It is an expression of the joy and peace that comes from a relationship with God and his Christ, even if there is also a sense of urgency about the salvation of souls. I honestly think, from Burnt Sienna's description, that this fellow was more about pushing his organized religion than about sharing his faith. J- hit the nail on the head.

Return to Top
#848754 - 11/05/07 10:50 AM Re: Cereal and Religion on Aisle 5 Sing A Little
The Incredible ComplyGuy Offline
Power Poster
The Incredible ComplyGuy
The he11 of suburbia
Originally Posted By: Sing A Little
Ok, I normally don't talk religion in the threads, but I had a very strange experience this morning.

I went to the grocery store and a woman came right up to me and tried to convert me to her religion. She asked me a few questions and actually pushed me until I said, "My religious beliefs are my own and I would appreciate it if you stop pushing yours on me".

It really bothered me that this woman did this, and it took me completely off guard at the grocery store.

Has this type of thing ever happened to you? If so, how did you handle it?

You should have said you just came into the store to buy a live goat for tonight's sacrifice...

Return to Top
#848810 - 11/05/07 02:45 PM Re: Cereal and Religion on Aisle 5 The Incredible ComplyGuy
buggs Offline
Power Poster
IMO, approaching strangers on an unsolicited, one-to-one basis in a public setting is inappropriate in the majority of situations. I've been on both ends of the situation and I don't like it either way.

Now, setting up on a street corner, or in a park and letting folks approach the person or group for more information is a different story.

Return to Top
#848818 - 11/05/07 02:56 PM Re: Cereal and Religion on Aisle 5 Jokerman
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Originally Posted By: Tom Thumb
I am saying that her choice of words reflects a view of God and how man relates to him that is a problem for a lot of people, including, in my opinion, someone who would suddenly and loudly get in her face in a public place, pushing their religion on her. How often do you hear someone complain about another person pushing their faith on another person? I'm not saying that no one ever makes such a complaint, but I certainly don't hear it as often, if they do.

If you don't want to hear it, and simply say thank you, but I'd rather not discuss this with you, then by all means, they should let you be. However, do you have a problem with people who talk about other things in life with you in passing? For example, if someone says hey, your child is adorable. Or wants to tell you about their children? Their pets? etc.? Faith is important to people, and many are excited to share their experience with others.

To me, there is a fine line between offering up a story and an experience and being pushy.

Return to Top
#848859 - 11/05/07 03:37 PM Re: Cereal and Religion on Aisle 5 B_F
BurntSienna Offline
Diamond Poster
Midwest
Oh, I chose my words carefully, and I definitely objected to his pushing his *religion* on me.

I have no issue with anyone talking about their faith, their kids, their pets, their house, their car, etc. I'm happy to hear other people's stories; I'm an avid people-watcher and love the interaction. It often makes for funny stories to tell later.

It's when a person crosses the line into being pushy and trying to force their particular flavor of religion on me that I really put my foot down and say, "Enough. Back off."

Return to Top
#848905 - 11/05/07 04:13 PM Re: Cereal and Religion on Aisle 5 BurntSienna
Sing A Little Offline
Power Poster
Sing A Little
CA
I've had conversations with strangers in passing and I don't have a problem with that. What really bothered me in this situation is that she woman really did try to push her specific religion on me in the grocery store. I tried very nicely to stop her, but it got to the point where I had to say, "Please stop pushing your religion on me" before she would stop talking and start walking away.

I do have my own beliefs and faith, but there is no way that I would have a conversation with her about them with the attitude that she had, not to mention the fact that she ambushed me while I was shopping.

Return to Top
#848911 - 11/05/07 04:20 PM Re: Cereal and Religion on Aisle 5 Sing A Little
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
I'll never forget the Saturday morning I was cutting the grass, and saw 4 people from the corner of my eye coming my way. I was on a riding lawnmower, and just kept going like I didn't see them. They followed me around the yard for about 2 minutes until I had thoroughly covered them in dust, then I stopped and said "oh, sorry, didn't see you." They tried to discuss with me at that point, but I told them I was Jewish and not interested in their heathen teachings (I'm Catholic, but I'm sure that minor lie could be forgiven). In subsequent weekends, I'd see them walking down the street, but they always skipped my house!

Return to Top
#848921 - 11/05/07 04:30 PM Re: Cereal and Religion on Aisle 5 HappyGilmore
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
About a month ago I had two visitors with brief cases at my door...the door was wide open so there was no way I could avoid them at that point.

As they started their schpiel, I asked them in the most christian of kind ways and with a smile, to hold just a moment. Then I called out, "Honey, can you come to the door a moment please?"...We all smiled at each other, and then my SO came to the door, where I quickly stated, "Come here for a moment. These lovely folks would like to share some information with us!"

They promptly turned around and walked away. So much for an open mind and open dialogue.

Return to Top
#848922 - 11/05/07 04:31 PM Re: Cereal and Religion on Aisle 5 #Just Jay
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
I don't get it.

Return to Top
#848926 - 11/05/07 04:35 PM Re: Cereal and Religion on Aisle 5 HappyGilmore
someone else Offline
Power Poster
someone else
back to my roots
And yet it is only the Christian (or self-described derivitives thereof) religions that seem to be pushy. I never get hounded by pagans, Jews, Buddhists (although that could be described as a philosophy more than a religion), etc. I certainly never feel the need to share my atheist views with others without being asked, as I don't feel that's necessary, or within my rights.

Return to Top
#848931 - 11/05/07 04:37 PM Re: Cereal and Religion on Aisle 5 #Just Jay
Sing A Little Offline
Power Poster
Sing A Little
CA
They didn't even give it a shot? LOL I'm sure that would have been a very interesting conversation.

I just don't understand why some people feel the need to convert everyone around them to their specific religion. If you have faith and so does your neighbor, then just be happy that they do.

I've had some very deep and insightful (and invited) conversations with friends and family who have different beliefs, but we always respect one another and our faith.

Return to Top
#848942 - 11/05/07 04:45 PM Re: Cereal and Religion on Aisle 5 B_F
buggs Offline
Power Poster
Originally Posted By: Bengalsfan
To me, there is a fine line between offering up a story and an experience and being pushy.

Just some thoughts...

Christian denominations that are big on "witnessing" to others are quick to rationalize this way, BF. But talking to someone about their faith is much different than talking making small talk about kids or the weather.

I think most people would consider it an intrustion, if someone they didn't know walked up to them without an invitation and started talking and asking about the person's sexual orientation. In the same way, faith is just as private to many people.

Now, I know some Christians don't care about that. They justify it by focusing on the gravity that saving a person's soul is worth any cost. But that's a way of thinking that can be deceptive if applied without the proper respect for someone else.

Return to Top
#848950 - 11/05/07 04:48 PM Re: Cereal and Religion on Aisle 5 Jokerman
buggs Offline
Power Poster
I don't get it.

Read it again more carefully and think harder about it, Tom.
Last edited by Bugs Bunny; 11/05/07 04:50 PM.
Return to Top
#848957 - 11/05/07 04:53 PM Re: Cereal and Religion on Aisle 5 buggs
Blessed Offline
Diamond Poster
Blessed
USA
Im with Tom.. bbsgrant what do you mean by SO
Last edited by here2lrn; 11/05/07 04:59 PM.

Return to Top
#848960 - 11/05/07 04:56 PM Re: Cereal and Religion on Aisle 5 buggs
Becka Marr Offline
Power Poster
Becka Marr
Originally Posted By: Bugs Bunny
I don't get it.

You might need to open your mind a little more than usual...

Return to Top
#848966 - 11/05/07 05:03 PM Re: Cereal and Religion on Aisle 5 Blessed
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Originally Posted By: here2lrn
Im with Tom.. bbsgrant what do you mean by SO

SO = Significant Other

Return to Top
#848978 - 11/05/07 05:10 PM Re: Cereal and Religion on Aisle 5 Becka Marr
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Originally Posted By: Ms. Becka
Originally Posted By: Bugs Bunny
I don't get it.

You might need to open your mind a little more than usual...

LOL...

Return to Top
#848981 - 11/05/07 05:13 PM Re: Cereal and Religion on Aisle 5 Sing A Little
Jay Bruce Offline
Platinum Poster
Jay Bruce
The New Loft Chamber
This thread confirms my belief that most Christian evangelism needs to take place in the context of relationships, not with strangers. I've been reading an interesting book on this very subject by Tim Downs, Finding Common Ground: How to Communicate with Those Outside the Christian Community...While We Still Can.

"A man in a kilt is a man and a half!"

Return to Top
#848993 - 11/05/07 05:19 PM Re: Cereal and Religion on Aisle 5 someone else
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Originally Posted By: someone else
And yet it is only the Christian (or self-described derivitives thereof) religions that seem to be pushy. I never get hounded by pagans, Jews, Buddhists (although that could be described as a philosophy more than a religion), etc. I certainly never feel the need to share my atheist views with others without being asked, as I don't feel that's necessary, or within my rights.

The other religions you discuss do not have a call to evangelism in their creeds. Christianity includes in it's very core a belief that the good news should be shared with others.

Return to Top
#848997 - 11/05/07 05:22 PM Re: Cereal and Religion on Aisle 5 Jay Bruce
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Originally Posted By: J. Bruce
This thread confirms my belief that most Christian evangelism needs to take place in the context of relationships, not with strangers.

I totally agree. My faith is a relationship, and it is that relationship that I try to share with others I have relationships with. Does this mean I only discuss it with my closest friends? No. I'll talk about it with my barber, my massage therapist, my neighbors, etc., so long as it can come up in the context of a conversation, not just opening a conversation based on my faith.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3