Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#849552 - 11/06/07 01:14 PM Permissible Use????
upstateNY Offline
Platinum Poster
New York State
If we obtain a credit report for a consumer's request for a non-real estate secured loan (like an auto loan), can we use information in that report to send a letter to the customer marketing our home equity products? The question has been posed to me under two circumstances:1) we do grant the initial request and therfore the applicant becomes a customer, 2) we don't grant the request, primarily because another lender beat us to the approval (indirect lending).
We would typically see a mortgage on the credit report, triggering the marketing of our HELOC product.

Return to Top
#849639 - 11/06/07 03:03 PM Re: Permissible Use???? upstateNY
ToTo Offline
Platinum Poster
OZ
No, you cannot use the credit report for anything other than the permissible purpose for which you pulled the report. There is an FTC staff opinion letter that specifically says you cannot use a credit report pulled for one permissible purpose to market another one of your products.

Return to Top
#849648 - 11/06/07 03:14 PM Re: Permissible Use???? ToTo
upstateNY Offline
Platinum Poster
New York State
Originally Posted By: ToTo
No, you cannot use the credit report for anything other than the permissible purpose for which you pulled the report. There is an FTC staff opinion letter that specifically says you cannot use a credit report pulled for one permissible purpose to market another one of your products.

Can you point me to this opinion? Thanks

Return to Top
#849654 - 11/06/07 03:23 PM Re: Permissible Use???? upstateNY
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN

Return to Top