Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options Tools
#84963 - 06/03/03 09:14 PM Suspicious Behavior -- Customer & Hold issues
yy2say Offline
Gold Star
yy2say
PA
We have a customer that we believe stole money orders out of mail boxes and then forged and deposited the money orders into his account. He went to jail for an unrelated issue and is now out. None of the MO have come back to us, but he has $1,500 in his account and he wants the money. Can we legally hold his funds and if so, for how long???

Return to Top
General Discussion
#84964 - 06/03/03 09:17 PM Re: Suspicious Behavior -- Customer & Hold issues
WildTurkey Offline
Platinum Poster
WildTurkey
Down South, USA
If have reason to believe a crime has been committed you should advise law enforcement, .... NOW!

Return to Top
#84965 - 06/03/03 09:42 PM Re: Suspicious Behavior -- Customer & Hold issues
yy2say Offline
Gold Star
yy2say
PA
Thanks ...this occured 4 months ago, and it seems as if someone came into the bank to report it ...could be heresay for all we know. The point is that we looked at the documents and it is evident that the signatures were forged although we have no "proof". Can I put a hold on his account or do I have to give him the money?

Return to Top
#84966 - 06/03/03 10:16 PM Re: Suspicious Behavior -- Customer & Hold issues
RFitzpatrick Offline
Gold Star
RFitzpatrick
Pacific NW
I'm curious what others are doing also, we had more than one case where stolen credit card checks were used to open accounts, which we held. When we verified them as stolen, we had the suspect arrested and closed the accounts, but the CC company never claimed the money back. The CC company appears to have just taken the loss (and they deserve it for sending out the darn things in the first place). No loss to us, but what do you do with the remaining funds? If we wait to escheat, who do you name as the owner?

Return to Top