BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#732451 - 05/15/07 05:32 PM Making Beaded Jewelry
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
After collecting beads to make necklaces for over a year, I finally sat down Saturday to make my first one. I really enjoyed it and made 7 over the weekend (one for my niece). Now I'm quite the novice, but hope to learn more and get some techniques to do different things, but even my husband was impressed with my first tries. It was a lot of fun!!!

Does anyone else out there do this?

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#732486 - 05/15/07 05:46 PM Re: Making Beaded Jewelry Skittles
Sing A Little Offline
Power Poster
Sing A Little
CA
I do make jewelry once in a while, it's fun. I have tons of beads, and just bring out the box whenever I think of it. I've read a few books, but I usually just wing it.

Return to Top
#732535 - 05/15/07 06:36 PM Re: Making Beaded Jewelry Sing A Little
kitten Offline
10K Club
kitten
Not prison
I have a ton of beads and wish I were motivated to make stuff because it is really fun. I've found that winging it does make for more interesting designs, too.

Return to Top
#732610 - 05/15/07 07:29 PM Re: Making Beaded Jewelry kitten
someone else Offline
Power Poster
someone else
back to my roots
I've made (and even sold) lots of jewelry over the past few years. I really enjoy it. I use all different sorts of stones and glass beads, and like to see how creative I can get. It's such fun, and a great way to relax.

Return to Top
#733445 - 05/16/07 06:13 PM Re: Making Beaded Jewelry someone else
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
You're right - it is fun and relaxing. I was really surprised that I could come up with something that looks good - my husband was also. I believe he thought I was just going to string the same beads on the string. That would be very boring.

Return to Top
#851263 - 11/08/07 02:13 PM Re: Making Beaded Jewelry Skittles
~Special K~ Offline
Power Poster
~Special K~
RRFCG PM
I wanna do this but have no idea where to start!!

Return to Top
#851299 - 11/08/07 03:07 PM Re: Making Beaded Jewelry ~Special K~
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
I just kind of 'started', but did take some lessons through a local bead store. Also, Michael's has lessons on beading, but I haven't taken any. I even learned how to crochet a necklace on sterling silver wire.

I am having a blast with this and am even selling some, although I've spent much more in beads than I have sold. If you want to look around at products I recommend http://www.firemountaingems.com. I have bought from others, but they have the largest selection and some fairly good prices.

Return to Top
#851318 - 11/08/07 03:24 PM Re: Making Beaded Jewelry Skittles
Bagweaver Offline
Diamond Poster
SW GA
I also buy from them, but most of what I buy is as a vendor at Indian festivals (one of my part-time jobs which will hopefully work into post retirement income) and for decorating gourds. My best friend buys from them and makes jewelry (mainly earrings) for resell. She sold a lot of them when we were at Stone Mountain last weekend.

Return to Top
#851614 - 11/08/07 06:22 PM Re: Making Beaded Jewelry Bagweaver
KAT Offline
Platinum Poster
Massachusetts
I am self taught and I bought a bead a day calendar. It is so good with directions. I use firemountain also. They have great designs that you can use for free. Also in their catalog they show how to do things. My hardest thing is using the stretch elastic. I can't seem to get them to knot and fit inside the last bead.

The most important technique is on crimping. If you don't do it right them the jewelry will fall apart. Also, you can lower the value if you don't hide the crimp.

Enjoy.

Return to Top
#851674 - 11/08/07 07:14 PM Re: Making Beaded Jewelry KAT
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
KAT - that's why I love crimp covers. Have you ever purchased the holiday beads from goodybeads.com? Some of them are so cute - I've made one with penguins with santa hats and another adorable one with gingerbread men.

I have been very unsuccessful with stretch bracelets and have kind of given up on those.

Return to Top
#851680 - 11/08/07 07:19 PM Re: Making Beaded Jewelry Skittles
someone else Offline
Power Poster
someone else
back to my roots
I'm not a big fan of Fire Mountain Gems. Yes, they have a huge selection, but they are sooo expensive. My suggestion (and I've been doing this for years now) is to buy beads on eBay. Anything you want, they've got it. And, if you live anywhere near Los Angeles, head to the bead section of the jewelry district downtown. The deals there are phenomenal.

Return to Top
#851720 - 11/08/07 08:00 PM Re: Making Beaded Jewelry someone else
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
I'm on an e-mail list of several on-line bead places and I get ads for weekly sales. Sometimes they are really good.

Wished I lived near LA, though. Sounds like heaven.

Return to Top
#851730 - 11/08/07 08:11 PM Re: Making Beaded Jewelry Skittles
KAT Offline
Platinum Poster
Massachusetts
Duchess I have heard using a surgeons knot is the best way to tie the material and then use a drop of glue. I just have to practice the knot.

I have so much stuff I can't buy any more but I will keep goodybeads in mind. I usually do the sales at AC Moore and Michaels unless I have a specific project in mind.

I need to get my eyes checked because it is hard seeing the holes in some of the beads. Then I will go back to it.

I had a "sister's" brunch and made all five of us the same bracelet in different colors. I picked the colors that matched my sisters and I got it right on all of them. They then asked for matching necklaces and earings. I was so pleased that they liked them that much.

I have also made them and sold them for a fundraiser for the American Cancer Relay for Life. I put love into them and the profits go for a good cause. My aunt had cancer and loved it when I made her a special bracelet.

I get a lot of relaxation from this.

Return to Top
#851857 - 11/08/07 09:40 PM Re: Making Beaded Jewelry KAT
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Yes, it is very relaxing.

Funny story - we had a 'birthday' here the other day and we all gathered around Carol and sang her Happy Birthday. One of our co-workers pointed to her jewelry (necklace and earrings) and said - Skittles (however she used my real name), you could make that. To which I responded - 'I did'.

Return to Top
#862455 - 11/29/07 01:04 PM Re: Making Beaded Jewelry Skittles
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
I brought in a bunch of necklace/earring sets yesterday that I had made and sold 8 sets and had requests for 2 more. Everything I make is unique and I have never duplicated. I just have so much fun with this and it's an outlet for creativity that I didn't know I had.

Tonight I go to make a beaded watch. I think I'm going to use the austrian crystal's since it will be for me. I've never used those before.

Return to Top
#862537 - 11/29/07 02:36 PM Re: Making Beaded Jewelry Skittles
someone else Offline
Power Poster
someone else
back to my roots
Skittles - are you talking about the Swarovskis? Those are, by far, the best crystals to use. If you really start working in them, may I suggest that you look to eBay for your purchases? You will find much better deals than Fire Mountain or any of those retailers. You would be surprised what you could find on eBay for beading.

As for watch faces, a great place to shop online is HHH Enterprises. They have great prices on watches.

Return to Top
#862557 - 11/29/07 02:50 PM Re: Making Beaded Jewelry someone else
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Thanks for the information. Yes, I just couldn't spell it correctly and didn't want to embarrass myself too badly. I have seen them on e-bay, but haven't made a purchase - yet anyway.

Return to Top
#880178 - 12/31/07 12:42 PM Re: Making Beaded Jewelry someone else
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
Thanks a lot, someone else. I discovered how easy it is to purchase on e-bay over the weekend. However, I am getting a lot of the Swarovski crystals. I can't wait to receive them.

Return to Top
#880671 - 01/01/08 07:19 AM Re: Making Beaded Jewelry Skittles
BBoyd Offline
Diamond Poster
BBoyd
MI
The only bead bracelet I wear is one made by a former co-worker. It's made up of small multi-colored beads with a daisy filler in between. Since it has so many colors, it goes with everything. It did mean she had to buy a variety of colored beads (I think she just used leftovers from prior projects), but if she could make a dozen more, I'd buy 'em all - they're so versatile. Just a thought for those of you in the bead biz - go multi-colored!!

Return to Top
#880717 - 01/02/08 01:18 PM Re: Making Beaded Jewelry BBoyd
pjs Offline
10K Club
pjs
oHiO
I bought some beautiful beaded jewelry a couple of weeks ago from a lady at works daughter who does it for extra income.

I bought some earrings which I love and a bracelet and then I also bought some beaded ornaments for my tree.

Return to Top