Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#851954 - 11/08/07 10:47 PM Anyone gotten a solicitation letter citing CRA?!
RebekahL CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
RebekahL CRCM
Big Sky Country
GRRRRR! This really ticks me off!

Recently, homeowners in our local zip-code have begun receiving solicitation letters for first mortgages from "St Fin Corp". These letters begin with:

"Dear XXXXX,

This advisory is to notify you that upon careful review of your property profile, census data and XXXXX zip code we have concluded that you may meet the requirments to take part in a Community Reinvestment ACt (CRA) Program. This means that you may be entitled to cash in an amount of up to: $96,000.00."

It continues to describe the CRA, including referencing the "US Government Website http://www.ffiec.gov/cra". It then says "the CRA Program was intended to assist property owners in reducing their monthly payment and to provide them with the cash distribution above."

WHAT?!?!? Here's the kicker -- the zip code they've sent the letters to is an Upper Income Area! It wasn't until I looked at the fine print on the back that I saw that the solicitation is for valid first mortgages (not including mobile homes), and saw the name "St Fin Corp".

I was so mad I called the toll free number to inquire about the "program". The guy said it was through Star Financial, and they wanted to extend loans to this area. When I told him it wasn't a low- or moderate-income area, he replied "Well, I don't think that has anything to do with it." Excuse me?! When I told him that was precisely what the CRA was about, he said, "I just work here." I asked for a supervisor and got connected to someone's voicemail.

So, has anyone else seen this? Do you have any suggestions on what I can do about it? I'm just fuming that some out-of-town financial company is using CRA to legitimize their cockamamie loan scheme!

Return to Top
CRA
#851962 - 11/08/07 10:56 PM Re: Anyone gotten a solicitation letter citing CRA?! RebekahL CRCM
bOaty Offline
Power Poster
bOaty
Chillin an grillin
I have not gotten the letter but I have received a phone call from a customer wanting to know if he qualified to get a refinance through our CRA program. I'm sure that guy got a similar letter. This was probably about a year ago.

I believe one of the regulatory agencies has (or did have) a warning on it's website about CRA solicitation letters. But I can't seem to find it now.

Return to Top
#851968 - 11/08/07 11:03 PM Re: Anyone gotten a solicitation letter citing CRA?! bOaty
CRAatBOK Offline

Power Poster
Further South than I wanna be.
I think I would forward the letter to my regulator and let them check into it.

Return to Top
#851973 - 11/08/07 11:06 PM Re: Anyone gotten a solicitation letter citing CRA?! CRAatBOK
CRAZEEEE Offline
Southern California
Yes - I received a letter just like this, in the Southern California area. Additionally, I believe at least one regulator (sorry I cannot remember which one) has already issued a bulletin/notification on this scam.

Return to Top
#851976 - 11/08/07 11:11 PM Re: Anyone gotten a solicitation letter citing CRA?! CRAatBOK
bOaty Offline
Power Poster
bOaty
Chillin an grillin
[url=www.federalreserve.gov/newsevents/press/other/20070216a.htm]http://www.federalreserve.gov/newsevents/press/other/20070216a.htm[/url]

Here is a link to the Fed Reserve talking about this type of solicitation.

Return to Top