Learn More - Click Here!

Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8
Thread Options
#853315 - 11/13/07 04:17 PM Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? rainman
X O Offline
Diamond Poster
X O
the maelstrom
The SEC will tell you best loss because their teams are so good...

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#853318 - 11/13/07 04:21 PM Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? X O
Ops Offline
Power Poster
Ops
Georgia
<--- SEC, and I say both.

Return to Top
#853446 - 11/13/07 05:53 PM Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? rainman
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Apparently best loss, thus explaining how Kansas could possibly be ranked so high.

Return to Top
#853454 - 11/13/07 05:59 PM Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? Jokerman
X O Offline
Diamond Poster
X O
the maelstrom
I thought Kansas would lose this week but no, I think ESPN said they haven't beaten a team who currently has a winning record all year....

Return to Top
#853497 - 11/13/07 06:47 PM Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? X O
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Their best win is at K-State.

Return to Top
#853656 - 11/13/07 08:52 PM Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? HappyGilmore
Bankster Offline
Diamond Poster
Yinzerville, PA
Originally Posted By: HappyGilmore
I'm sure dscrote will have another reason LSU shouldn't be ranked #1...

Ahh, I feel the same way I did last week. If a team goes undefeated in a BCS conference, they shouldn't be ranked below a one-loss team. Soooo if Kansas wins-out they should by-pass everyone else, in my opinion. I still think the current system stinks, much like most other people have expressed somewhere in here, probably even you. But now you are goose-stepping around because the system moved LSU to #1, coming off a great win over LA Tech. That must have really boosted the old strength of schedule.

And also, either your spelling stinks, you made a weak attempt at humor, or you have been spending too much time in front of your tax-payer funded air conditioner to tell the difference between Schrute and Scrote.

Return to Top
#853661 - 11/13/07 09:00 PM Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? Bankster
Ops Offline
Power Poster
Ops
Georgia
Oh, yay.. Kansas v. Hawaii would be a *swell* game.

*rolls her eyes*

Return to Top
#853732 - 11/13/07 09:42 PM Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? Bankster
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Quote:
But now you are goose-stepping around because the system moved LSU to #1

no goose stepping at all. I've previously posted that without a true playoff system, that rankings will always be suspect. My thoughts on that haven't changed. At the same time, I've also said that people with far greater knowledge of the game than I, people who do nothing but analyze, coach, or write about football 24/7 have aligned and said here are the 4 polls for ranking. All 4 now agree that LSU is #1, just as all 4 previously agreed that OSU is #1.

you can choose to disagree with it all you want, but it doesn't change the fact that it is what it is.

Return to Top
#853779 - 11/13/07 10:11 PM Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? HappyGilmore
X O Offline
Diamond Poster
X O
the maelstrom
but the mere fact that a week ago those people thought that OSU was #1 is the best indictment against said process...

Return to Top
#853786 - 11/13/07 10:14 PM Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? X O
rainman Offline
Power Poster
rainman
Actually XO, I think the fact that those people previously thought that South Fla. and BC were top 5 material is the best indictment against said process.

Return to Top
#853788 - 11/13/07 10:20 PM Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? rainman
X O Offline
Diamond Poster
X O
the maelstrom
and cal,

Return to Top
#853824 - 11/13/07 11:48 PM Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? X O
GLKS Offline
Gold Star
OK, it took some research to back up my claim, but here goes: The #1 team should be Iowa State. Consider:

Cons:
1. 3-8 record so far

Pros:
1. Strength of schedule: ISU has played BCS #4 Oklahoma, #5 Missouri, #13 Texas, and has a showdown on Saturday with #3 Kansas. Also, I should mention they played Northern Iowa, the #1 team in Div 1-AA.
1a. ISU opponents have a combined 19 National Championships and 11 Heisman Trophy winners.
2. "Best Loss": Iowa State led Oklahoma (widely considered the best team in the Big XII) 7-0 going into the third quarter, and in fact did not give up the lead until the game was into the forth quarter
3. The transitive property of College Football: ISU beat Colorado who beat Oklahoma (which as already mentioned is considered the "best team" in the Conference). ISU also beat Iowa, who beat Illinois, who beat the former #1 Ohio State. ISU (again) beat Iowa, who beat Syracuse, who beat Loisville, who beat Cincinnati, who beat Oregon State, who beat California, who beat Tenessee, who beat South Carolina, who beat Kentucky, who beat Current #1 LSU. The only team that ISU played that is undefeated is Northern Iowa, however, the Panthers play not only in Div 1-AA, but also the Gateway Conference, which has yet to be recognized as a BCS conference.
4. Most Dominant Mascot: Earlier this year, the Cyclones were cosen by a CBS Sportsline online tournament/poll as having the most dominate collegiate mascot.
5. I am an alumnus and huge Cyclone homer.

As you can see, the Pros far outweigh the Cons, and the facts are irrefutable. I look forward to seeing who our opponent is in the NC game.

Return to Top
#853825 - 11/13/07 11:52 PM Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? X O
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Pedaling along a scenic highwa...
I'd be willing to bet that 90% of the people who don't think that Kansas belongs has never seen them play. Folks, they are flat-out good. I am pretty confident that OU and Kansas will play in the Big XII Championship game and that whoever wins that should be in the National Championship game, especially with the current rankings of top 4 teams in the Big XII. If Kansas gets by Missouri and OU, they will have proven that they belong there, having defeated two top 5 teams.

My knock on LSU is simply that they have come sooooooo close to losing on multiple occasions. On one hand, they have gritted out wins in difficult situations, but on the other hand, they have put themselves in those positions all to often.

We'll see how it shakes out. Maybe Missouri knocks off Kansas and ends this whole discussion. Maybe OU loses to Missouri in the Big XII anyway. But maybe LSU loses in the SEC as well. It's hard to say. I still think that Oregon is the toughest game out there with OU right at their heels.

I don't think that there is a team out there that has the offensive weapons that OU has. Bradford is the most underrated QB in the league, his WR's and TE's are top-tier, and the RB's are very, very good. The OLine is young and playing beyond their years, and the defense, as a whole, is an excellent unit.

I'm worried about Dixon (Oregon). He seems to be the 2nd coming of Vince Young, and we Sooner fans know what Young was able to do.

Return to Top
#853827 - 11/13/07 11:59 PM Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? GLKS
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Originally Posted By: harty
OK, it took some research to back up my claim, but here goes: The #1 team should be Iowa State. Consider:

Cons:
1. 3-8 record so far

Pros:
1. Strength of schedule: ISU has played BCS #4 Oklahoma, #5 Missouri, #13 Texas, and has a showdown on Saturday with #3 Kansas. Also, I should mention they played Northern Iowa, the #1 team in Div 1-AA.
1a. ISU opponents have a combined 19 National Championships and 11 Heisman Trophy winners.
2. "Best Loss": Iowa State led Oklahoma (widely considered the best team in the Big XII) 7-0 going into the third quarter, and in fact did not give up the lead until the game was into the forth quarter
3. The transitive property of College Football: ISU beat Colorado who beat Oklahoma (which as already mentioned is considered the "best team" in the Conference). ISU also beat Iowa, who beat Illinois, who beat the former #1 Ohio State. ISU (again) beat Iowa, who beat Syracuse, who beat Loisville, who beat Cincinnati, who beat Oregon State, who beat California, who beat Tenessee, who beat South Carolina, who beat Kentucky, who beat Current #1 LSU. The only team that ISU played that is undefeated is Northern Iowa, however, the Panthers play not only in Div 1-AA, but also the Gateway Conference, which has yet to be recognized as a BCS conference.
4. Most Dominant Mascot: Earlier this year, the Cyclones were cosen by a CBS Sportsline online tournament/poll as having the most dominate collegiate mascot.
5. I am an alumnus and huge Cyclone homer.

As you can see, the Pros far outweigh the Cons, and the facts are irrefutable. I look forward to seeing who our opponent is in the NC game.

I'll bet you a pork tenderloin sandwich from Hy-Vee that Iowa wins NEXT season!! Go Hawkeyes!!!!

I'm a Sioux Cityan...born and raised.

Return to Top
#853841 - 11/14/07 12:58 AM Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? Pup
GLKS Offline
Gold Star
Quote:
I'm a Sioux Cityan...born and raised.

Sioux City!? Double Whammy!! You know it is Sioux Falls' evil twin, right? (just kidding). I'll take the bet, I think next year will be about as close to even as they have been in a long time.

Return to Top
#853842 - 11/14/07 01:00 AM Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? Pup
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: Fraud Pup
I'd be willing to bet that 90% of the people who don't think that Kansas belongs has never seen them play. Folks, they are flat-out good.

I don't disagree that they're good. I'm just saying I see nothing in their record to justify that ranking. They haven't played ANYONE!

I am pretty confident that OU and Kansas will play in the Big XII Championship game and that whoever wins that should be in the National Championship game, especially with the current rankings of top 4 teams in the Big XII. If Kansas gets by Missouri and OU, they will have proven that they belong there, having defeated two top 5 teams. ...Maybe Missouri knocks off Kansas and ends this whole discussion. Maybe OU loses to Missouri in the Big XII anyway. [/quote]

Wouldn't MU deserve the NC berth, then, according to your logic?

Return to Top
#853854 - 11/14/07 01:31 AM Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? Pup
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Quote:
My knock on LSU is simply that they have come sooooooo close to losing on multiple occasions

But other than Kentucky, they've pulled out those "near losses." A sign of a true champion is facing adversity and overcoming it...which LSU has done all season.

Return to Top
#853871 - 11/14/07 02:56 AM Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? HappyGilmore
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
Tom, Missouri has a loss and KS does not. That's the BIG difference between the two. I don't think Missouri would leapfrog Oregon in this scenario, but I could be wrong.

Happy, a sign of a true champion is not putting yourself in danger quite so often, actually. When you create your own adversity by playing below your own ability, you shouldn't be seen as this formidable and incredible team. I do like LSU and think they are a great team, but the whole "but they play in the SEC" argument really only holds water if they're out there destroying the top teams.

I still think that OU is the best and most balanced team in the country, and are literally 4 points away from a consensus #1 ranking. It happens.

For the record, I really hate the BCS.

Return to Top
#853923 - 11/14/07 01:50 PM Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? Pup
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Quote:
argument really only holds water if they're out there destroying the top teams.

a win by 2 or by 50 is still a win

Return to Top
#854733 - 11/14/07 11:52 PM Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? HappyGilmore
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
In black and white, yes...a win is a win, but which is the sign of a better team?

Voters, however, see gray, as they should. If one team trailed only one time all season, and that was in the last 4 seconds of a game that they lose by 3, but another team had to battle to win close games all season, and the competition was comparable, the first team would likely be chosen as the top team.

Because it's all subjective, it's flawed. We all just have to suck it up.

Return to Top
#854783 - 11/15/07 02:59 AM Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? Pup
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Tom, Missouri has a loss and KS does not. That's the BIG difference between the two. I don't think Missouri would leapfrog Oregon in this scenario, but I could be wrong.

If Missouri wins out, they will have beat on a neutral field the team that they lost to on the road (and whom they led in the fourth quarter of that game). They will have beat on neutral fields the #3 and #4 teams in the country. Now, you can argue that the #2 team is still better, but you can't argue that whichever of those teams (KU or MU) would win out, they don't deserve pretty much equal

In my mind, the big difference between Missouri and Kansas is that right now, Missouri has a quality road win. Kansas has no quality wins, home or away - in fact, nearly half their wins are against mid-majors!

Return to Top
#854818 - 11/15/07 05:49 AM Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? Jokerman
Pup Offline
Power Poster
Pup
But, they still have a loss, and you cannot tell me that a good number of voters out there look first and hardest at the records. KU would be undefeated if they were to win out. Mizzou would be a one-loss team, just like Oregon and LSU, but with a less impressive schedule.

I hope either LSU or Oregon drop a game, but I just am not sure that will happen. It just might be LSU v Oregon in the NC. It's hard to say at this point.

Return to Top
#854895 - 11/15/07 02:37 PM Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? Pup
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Mizzou would be a one-loss team, just like Oregon and LSU, but with a less impressive schedule.

I think you're fogetting the two games MU would have won.

Return to Top
#855099 - 11/15/07 05:18 PM Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? Jokerman
Queen Mum Offline
Power Poster
Queen Mum
OK
Hey, Pup!!

BOOMER!!!!

Return to Top
#855278 - 11/15/07 07:16 PM Re: Ohio State v LSU in BCS??? Queen Mum
Hmmm... Offline
Gold Star
Glad to know you aren't still talking about Ohio State. I am bummed that Gameday is going to the OSU Michigan game this weekend and not to the BC / Clemson game. That's going to be much more exciting... ok, I am a little biased. GO TIGERS!! My blood runneth orange.

Return to Top
Page 5 of 8 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8