BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5
Thread Options
#85817 - 06/05/03 05:16 PM Friday Frivolity for June 6, 2003
Anonymoose Offline
OK, its after noon here and time to start thinking frivolously:

THE TOPIC:

Tell us a talent that you have! We have at least 3 BOLers who are amateur magicians, at least one musician; what other non-banking talents do we have?

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#85818 - 06/05/03 05:19 PM Re: Friday Frivolity for June 6, 2003
Al Miller Offline
Diamond Poster
Al Miller
Pleasanton CA USA
Dawnie and I are into wine appreciation. Any other winos out there?

Return to Top
#85819 - 06/05/03 05:20 PM Re: Friday Frivolity for June 6, 2003
complyguy Offline
Gold Star
complyguy
PA
Nothing so flashy as magic. Just sign language & massage therapy.

Return to Top
#85820 - 06/05/03 05:25 PM Re: Friday Frivolity for June 6, 2003
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
LOL Al, so true. Dawnie also has some other talents that have gotten her NO WHERE!

I can curtsey like a princess (or should I say queen) This isn't a little bob up and down...it's a full blown, arm waving, drop to your ankles curtsey fit for a royal queen. (Why? Don't ask)

I speak fluent pig Latin.

and I can read upside down, no pausing, no breaks...just a smooth pace. I used to do it at the kids library to tease them when I did story time.

I'm a favorite at parties because I was once Amateur Chef of the Year (Washington State rep) (in the year 1892 I think) so I always bring cheesecake I have a dear friend here who says chef of a whole state is bubkiss...I had to win a ribbon at the Alaka State Fair to be a real chef in her mind (nevermind all that fancy schooling). So... I did this year, blue and red

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#85821 - 06/05/03 05:32 PM Re: Friday Frivolity for June 6, 2003
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
OK Dawnie. Do you ever sleep?

I, too, bake quite well along with several members of my family. My other talent was giving birth to the sweet, intelligent young man I have at home.

Return to Top
#85822 - 06/05/03 05:33 PM Re: Friday Frivolity for June 6, 2003
KK Offline
100 Club
KK
Southern California
Include me in the wino section, but I also have a family vineyard. Also, there isn't a craft I haven't tried.

Karen

Return to Top
#85823 - 06/05/03 05:40 PM Re: Friday Frivolity for June 6, 2003
Mr. Clean Offline
Platinum Poster
Mr. Clean
New England
Count me in the musician part (classical and Rock Band at one time), and I can shave my head as smooth as my name implies does that count as a useless talent??

Return to Top
#85824 - 06/05/03 05:46 PM Re: Friday Frivolity for June 6, 2003
Deena Offline
Power Poster
Deena
PA
I do counted cross stitch pretty well when I have the time - never won any prizes, but then, I've never entered any contests. My mother loves eveything I've made for her, so that's all the recognition I need.

Return to Top
#85825 - 06/05/03 05:47 PM Re: Friday Frivolity for June 6, 2003
Rubaiyat Offline
Diamond Poster
Lido Deck
Before I was sucked into the world of compliance I owned a bridal dressmaking business.

I am a wine drinker extraordinaire, but my approach is a little different than most. I buy wine based on whether or not I like the label. And most of the time I try to keep my purchases under $12/bottle. This can be very interesting! My favorite at the moment is a merlot called "47 Pound Rooster".

Return to Top
#85826 - 06/05/03 05:48 PM Re: Friday Frivolity for June 6, 2003
JacF Offline

Power Poster
PA
Quote:

and I can shave my head as smooth as my name implies does that count as a useless talent??

Not at all! It sounds like you and I use the same barber (Remington.)

As for other talents- I do my share of miniature painting and model building (yes, it's hard on the eyes.)

Return to Top
#85827 - 06/05/03 05:56 PM Re: Friday Frivolity for June 6, 2003
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
Quote:

OK Dawnie. Do you ever sleep?

I can't! I took up quilting when I turned 40 (I figured I'd become domestic) and I've got 9 of the darned things to get done.

Then there's the remodel I'm doing...oh and of course I'm recovering all the furniture and making drapes. E gads and don't forget that stupid baby tent I have to make my friend before she gives birth (it's getting close).

I'll sleep in October when the sun goes down Gad I miss night time!!!

Return to Top
#85828 - 06/05/03 06:02 PM Re: Friday Frivolity for June 6, 2003
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
House-painting (interiors only) is very therapeutic; gourmet cooking and LEGOS!!!!! Also, my son and I built a mechanized robot who scares the bejesus out of our cat!

And currently, martinis are the east coast craze, so my friends and I are trying every one we can get our lips on!

Return to Top
#85829 - 06/05/03 06:07 PM Re: Friday Frivolity for June 6, 2003
RebekahL CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
RebekahL CRCM
Big Sky Country
By looking at my picture, it is no small wonder that I'm a pianist! Classical is my fave, but I delve into other genres too.

I also give lessons, which is one of my greatest pleasures. There is nothing quite like watching little fingers learn new songs, and seeing little eyes brighten at the realization that they just played "Yankee Doodle Dandy" all by themselves!

Somehow, I just never get that sort of "yipee!" response from my loan officers...

Return to Top
#85830 - 06/05/03 06:08 PM Re: Friday Frivolity for June 6, 2003
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
Try a chocolate martini. Sounds yucky, but it's clear...and smooth with the taste of chocolate. (Yes Al, occasionally I do stray from wine). Also, a Neccroni (I'm sure I'm making a mess of that spelling). It's an Italian martini made with Campari. Yummy...I had five one night...I think it was one night, I don't remember

Return to Top
#85831 - 06/05/03 06:11 PM Re: Friday Frivolity for June 6, 2003
DEL Offline
Platinum Poster
Maine
I'm a passable gardener and a really good flower arranger. I'm also a (rank) amateur piano player. I also like doing carpenty and sewing projects around the house.

Return to Top
#85832 - 06/05/03 06:20 PM Re: Friday Frivolity for June 6, 2003
JulesB Offline
Gold Star
JulesB
A Designated Tree City in OK, ...
I love to cross stitch, but haven't had much time lately, and also sing in our church choir - occasionally solo too. Home improvement projects are a passion also - my husband and I could probably do a show on HGTV with all that we have done to our house. I even tiled the shower, counter top, and floor in our kids' bathroom all by myself.

Return to Top
#85833 - 06/05/03 06:23 PM Re: Friday Frivolity for June 6, 2003
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Anonymoose, what are your talents? You've wheedled info out of us, now fess up!

Return to Top
#85834 - 06/05/03 06:28 PM Re: Friday Frivolity for June 6, 2003
LinMarie Offline
100 Club
LinMarie
I own and run a resturant with my husband. So I can offically bartend, waitress, hostess, cook and wash dishes all at the same time!

Return to Top
#85835 - 06/05/03 06:35 PM Re: Friday Frivolity for June 6, 2003
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
ALM: Would you please come to NJ and take care of me? Sounds perfect!

Return to Top
#85836 - 06/05/03 06:40 PM Re: Friday Frivolity for June 6, 2003
RVFlyboy Offline
Power Poster
RVFlyboy
Soaring over Georgia
Actually, I've had one paying gig as a magician, so I guess that makes me a professional magician, not an amateur.

Return to Top
#85837 - 06/05/03 06:46 PM Re: Friday Frivolity for June 6, 2003
Go Royals Offline
Go Royals
Lincoln, Nebraska
My talents not necessarily in ability order:

Singer/songwriter (Ok so I don't actually have the music background to write the music, but I can usually sing to someone who does and they write it up for me.), Cook, Did stand-up twice, Wharehouse for useless information, World class remote control operator, Eater, Sleeper.

Talking of talent makes me think of Brad Paisley's new song and video it is hilarious the opening is:

Someday I'm gonna be famous
do I have talent well NO
But these days you don't really need it
Thanks to Reality shows
Last edited by Go Royals; 06/05/03 06:56 PM.

Return to Top
#85838 - 06/05/03 06:52 PM Re: Friday Frivolity for June 6, 2003
Tina A Sweet Offline
Diamond Poster
Tina A Sweet
Marysville, Ca.
I was once a professional singer. Sang with a group that was booked at the Calfornia State Fair to open with Journey. (if you all remember them) I also sang on the Red Lion Inn tour up and down the West Coast. I made a record when I was 18 back in Nashville. Now you ask why am I a Compliance Officer, hard to make it in that business no matter how far you go.

Return to Top
#85839 - 06/05/03 06:57 PM Re: Friday Frivolity for June 6, 2003
SMQ, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
SMQ, CRCM
Between the lines
Enjoy home projects, I have painted and/or papered every room in the house at least once. Tiled the kitchen floor, installed shower heads, faucets, etc. If I want something done at home, I either do it myself or supervise (hee hee) hubby.

I also keep the scorebooks and stats for soccer and baseball (both are high school boys teams) -- I can even stand my ground with the guys on whether or not it was an error! Or maybe they just see the red in my hair and give up!

Return to Top
#85840 - 06/05/03 06:57 PM Re: Friday Frivolity for June 6, 2003
RGS Offline
Platinum Poster
RGS
Home of the 8 time NCAA Champ ...
I live to play golf (15.8 handicap, not great but not completely awful). I'm extremely talented at X-Box. I also usually teach economics a couple of nights a week, one night at a local JUCO and another night at nearby regional university.

Edit---

I also was a victim in a professional wrestling match one time. My Kiwanis club used wrestling as a fund-raiser a few years ago. I convinced the booker ("script writer") to let me take a "bump" (be pummeled). I was an extra referee on the floor for the main event. When the bad guy cheated to win, I told the real referee and he reversed the decision. The bad guy then hit me and laid me out with a piledriver. Luckily the good guy came in and ran the bad guy off. I was laying motionless on the mat and when it came time for the good guys to help me out of the ring, they said "Quit smiling, you're hurt, remember". I can proudly say that I received the biggest "pop" (crowd response) of the night.

My wife and I are volunteers for two different animal recue groups. One for Airedales (Southern States Airedale Rescue) and the other for Dachshunds (DARE). I can't strongly enough urge anyone to find a pet through rescue groups or the local pound when you are looking for a furry friend.
Last edited by RGS; 06/05/03 07:02 PM.

Return to Top
#85841 - 06/05/03 07:10 PM Re: Friday Frivolity for June 6, 2003
jason Offline
100 Club
Almost Heaven
i can move my ears - one at a time, blow spit bubbles, and doodle quite well. not worth much except maybe for a good laugh.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 5 1 2 3 4 5