Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

New Reply Thread Options
#858527 - 11/20/07 09:21 PM HR Question re: current salary
Anonymous
Unregistered

Maybe someone with a HR background can answer this. Why do recruiters and potential employers ask for current salary? Maybe I'm naive, but what does my current salary at Bank A have to do with my possible job at Bank B?

TIA

Return to Top Reply Quote Quick Reply Quick Quote
#858544 - 11/20/07 09:31 PM Re: HR Question re: current salary Anonymous
Skittles Offline
10K Club
Skittles
TN
They want to know where to ballpark an initial offer of salary.

#858589 - 11/20/07 10:08 PM Re: HR Question re: current salary Skittles
Anonymous
Unregistered

I don't like that question, either.
But I understand why it is important to them.

#858616 - 11/20/07 10:50 PM Re: HR Question re: current salary Skittles
YosemiteSamIAm Offline
Power Poster
Guess
Bingo, been there, done that!

#858625 - 11/20/07 10:58 PM Re: HR Question re: current salary YosemiteSamIAm
Anonymous
Unregistered

Orig Anon here -

Guess I'm not that naive after all.

Without going into a rant about how ***totally unfair*** it is, how do you avoid falling into the 'pay him/her less because he/she made less in the past' hole?

My main reason for looking elsewhere is because I'm not being paid commesurate with the additional duties I've 'acquired' over the past two years. All management will offer is a % increase - doesn't even come close.

#858650 - 11/20/07 11:38 PM Re: HR Question re: current salary Anonymous
Anonymous
Unregistered

Mine was the 3rd post. That is a hard question. If you oppose lying as I do you tell the truth and add that your salary was not comensurate with your responsibilities and should not be relied on to use as an initial offer.

#858750 - 11/21/07 01:56 PM Re: HR Question re: current salary Anonymous
hrlady Offline
100 Club
As an HR Manager I can tell you that your honest response to that question would be appropriate and totally understandable.

#858767 - 11/21/07 02:13 PM Re: HR Question re: current salary hrlady
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Just don't tell them - I never have for external positions. I say that I am looking for a salary that is commensurate with the responsibilities of the job for which I am applying. My past salary history has no bearing on that issue. I have taken jobs for a lot more than I currently made and a lot less, depending on the job and other factors, such location and reduced responsibilites, the attitude of management, how I thought I would like working with specific people, etc.. There is a lot more to a job than the salary and if you approach it in that manner, I don't think anyone would fault you for it.

#859133 - 11/21/07 06:13 PM Re: HR Question re: current salary Anonymous
NotALawyer Offline
Gold Star
NotALawyer
I had an experience where I was working through a recruiter for a new position and he compared my salary history to my job descriptions. He said the salary for my most recent position indicated that the position was not a 'senior' position and must be a 'staff' position. The new position was in a more expensive labor market than my last position and the recruiter was not familiar with my area. (Same goes for housing prices, but that's another topic.) I had to explain why the salary was low but that the position was correct - which was a big reason why I was looking to move.

#860671 - 11/26/07 10:02 PM Re: HR Question re: current salary NotALawyer
Anonymous
Unregistered

My bank's employee handbook has a line about salary information being confidential, and I'll bet yours does, too.

Perfect excuse to say, "I cannot disclose salary information, but I'm looking for something in the neighborhood of . . ."

#860702 - 11/26/07 10:22 PM Re: HR Question re: current salary Anonymous
Auditman Offline
100 Club
I always felt that if I did not provide current salary information when requested, my application would not be considered.

#860776 - 11/26/07 11:25 PM Re: HR Question re: current salary Auditman
rlcarey Online
10K Club
rlcarey
Galveston, TX
Originally Posted By: Auditman
I always felt that if I did not provide current salary information when requested, my application would not be considered.

Personally, I think that is a fallacy. The strength of your resume is what gets you to the next level. No one is going to not call you if you fail to disclose your current salary.

Quick Reply:
HTML is disabled
UBBCode is enabled

Moderator:  MagicCity, P*Q, Truffle Royale