Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#860435 - 11/26/07 06:29 PM Re: Study Finds Dems as the Party of the Rich Yossarian
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
Originally Posted By: Yossarian
OK I see a bit of math training is needed here:

An average income of a district is taken by dividing the total income by the number of people in it. The fact that a district might have a relatively higher average DOES NOT MEAN that it is where rich people live. It could just be a district with mostly upper middle class residents.

In addition, who the wealthy people actually vote for can only be determined by focusing on INDIVIDUALS. The truly wealthy in a district might all vote for Republicans yet only represent a minority of the voters.

This is a transparent attempt by this guy from the partisan Heritage Foundation to fool people that don't understand the difference between group statistics and individual preferences.

Yes Yoss, in most American neighborhoods you have a massive poverty line then a few mansions speckled between so that the average income goes abover average. I think all of us Republicans who are rich just love to buy homes in impovrished neighborhoods.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#860436 - 11/26/07 06:31 PM Re: Study Finds Dems as the Party of the Rich Hated By Some
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
Originally Posted By: Ron Mexico
*** You are ignoring this user ***

interesting take

Return to Top
#860457 - 11/26/07 06:46 PM Re: Study Finds Dems as the Party of the Rich Hated By Some
°X° Offline
Power Poster
°X°
WOOHOO
Quote:
A=B, B=C therefore A=C, also known as the transitive property of equality.

actually, since we are talking about logic, and i don't think anything is being compared to being mathematically equal, the related logical comparable is known as a syllogism. do want me to provide you with some traditional examples of syllogistic illogic?

Ron - so, have your viewed been more or less the same over the years....

Quote from Robert Louis Stevenson:

"To hold the same views at forty as we held at twenty is to have been stupefied for a score of years, and take rank, not as a prophet, but as an unteachable brat, well birched and none the wiser."

You should be closing in on 40 in a few years.

Return to Top
#860458 - 11/26/07 06:47 PM Re: Study Finds Dems as the Party of the Rich Sound Tactic
NotALawyer Offline
Gold Star
NotALawyer
Originally Posted By: Lame
Originally Posted By: Yossarian
OK I see a bit of math training is needed here:

An average income of a district is taken by dividing the total income by the number of people in it. The fact that a district might have a relatively higher average DOES NOT MEAN that it is where rich people live. It could just be a district with mostly upper middle class residents.

In addition, who the wealthy people actually vote for can only be determined by focusing on INDIVIDUALS. The truly wealthy in a district might all vote for Republicans yet only represent a minority of the voters.

This is a transparent attempt by this guy from the partisan Heritage Foundation to fool people that don't understand the difference between group statistics and individual preferences.

Yes Yoss, in most American neighborhoods you have a massive poverty line then a few mansions speckled between so that the average income goes abover average. I think all of us Republicans who are rich just love to buy homes in impovrished neighborhoods.

I thought senate and congresional districts for national elections comprised more than one neighborhood? Otherwise, I didn't notice that the article was referring to local offices.

Return to Top
#860460 - 11/26/07 06:47 PM Re: Study Finds Dems as the Party of the Rich Sound Tactic
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
*** You are ignoring this user ***

interesting take

are you trying out to be the next calvin klein obsession model?

now back to the data entry with you!

Return to Top
#860561 - 11/26/07 08:16 PM Re: Study Finds Dems as the Party of the Rich Hated By Some
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Quote:
As a simplified example a district where everyone earned more than $75,000 but less than $100,000 would be way up in the list of districts by average income but wouldn't have anyone that was considered "rich" or "wealthy".

show me one democratic prsidential candidate who doesn't classify this group as "wealthy"

Return to Top
#860563 - 11/26/07 08:17 PM Re: Study Finds Dems as the Party of the Rich HappyGilmore
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Edwards. Didn't he say he wasn't sure how to define someone as "wealthy"?

Return to Top
#860578 - 11/26/07 08:33 PM Re: Study Finds Dems as the Party of the Rich HappyGilmore
Yossarian Offline
Diamond Poster
Quote:
show me one democratic prsidential candidate who doesn't classify this group as "wealthy"

I would say that NONE of them would call that group "wealthy".

Quote:
Edwards. Didn't he say he wasn't sure how to define someone as "wealthy"?

I couldn't put an exact dollar figure on it, could you? But that a LONG way from saying it's a relatively low number like $75-100,000.

Return to Top
#860644 - 11/26/07 09:32 PM Re: Study Finds Dems as the Party of the Rich Yossarian
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
You think wealth is $75k? For a married or single couple? Are we talking AGI or income? Lawyers!

Return to Top
#860649 - 11/26/07 09:34 PM Re: Study Finds Dems as the Party of the Rich Hated By Some
Sound Tactic Offline
Power Poster
Sound Tactic
[quote=Ron Mexico]*** You are ignoring this user ***

You may want to return to law school so you can get a job in law, like the good students did.

Return to Top
#860654 - 11/26/07 09:38 PM Re: Study Finds Dems as the Party of the Rich Sound Tactic
GuitarDude Offline
Power Poster
GuitarDude
So Cal
Before we define what "wealthy" is, we need to define what the meaning of "is" is...

Return to Top
#860660 - 11/26/07 09:48 PM Re: Study Finds Dems as the Party of the Rich Sound Tactic
Yossarian Offline
Diamond Poster
Quote:
You think wealth is $75k?

No, I think I was prety clear that I think it would be at a level MUCH higher than $75-100,000. I believe that every one of the presidential candidates would agree that it is much higher.

Return to Top
#860682 - 11/26/07 10:09 PM Re: Study Finds Dems as the Party of the Rich Yossarian
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Quote:
No, I think I was prety clear that I think it would be at a level MUCH higher than $75-100,000. I believe that every one of the presidential candidates would agree that it is much higher.

not based on their plan to steal rob take appropriate from the wage earners and give to the have nots

Return to Top
#860692 - 11/26/07 10:17 PM Re: Study Finds Dems as the Party of the Rich HappyGilmore
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
I would love to make 75000. I think that would make me wealthy. Of course if I just went back to school for whatever degree Ron is getting, I could be really wealthy....

Return to Top
#860699 - 11/26/07 10:21 PM Re: Study Finds Dems as the Party of the Rich Sound Tactic
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
[quote=Ron Mexico]*** You are ignoring this user ***

You may want to return to law school so you can get a job in law, like the good students did.

seriously, where do you get your assumptions from?

Return to Top
#860764 - 11/26/07 11:02 PM Re: Study Finds Dems as the Party of the Rich Hated By Some
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Quote:
seriously

there is nothing serious going on here

Return to Top
#860766 - 11/26/07 11:04 PM Re: Study Finds Dems as the Party of the Rich HappyGilmore
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
well I am in the wrong thread then.

Return to Top
#860819 - 11/27/07 02:23 AM Re: Study Finds Dems as the Party of the Rich Yossarian
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Quote:
No, I think I was prety clear that I think it would be at a level MUCH higher than $75-100,000. I believe that every one of the presidential candidates would agree that it is much higher

Using 2006 data, the International Monetary Fund ranks the US as the 4th wealthiest country, at $43,223 GDP.

hmmm, IMF...Yoss...yoss...IMF...tough choice on who to believe

Return to Top
Page 2 of 2 1 2