Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12
Thread Options
#865387 - 12/04/07 12:15 AM Re: Man Accused Of Slipping Woman Abortion Pill Becka Marr
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Originally Posted By: Ms. Becka
Originally Posted By: The Man of Steel
I certainly recognize that she supported legalizing contraception and promoting women having control over their bodies and pregnancy decisions. That much is obvious to me and shoud be to those who study her speeches. She also pressed for directing these efforts at slums, and especially at black communities. Her broader motives at legalizing contraception can be seen from other of her documented works.

Of the additional sources you cited, I think 'A Plan For Peace' does appear inconsistent with her previous speech from 1925. She seems to have made a radical departure from her earlier opposition to legislation or any government interference with matters of parenthood. Still, I would hesitate to term her position as "pro-abortion" - there is no mention of terminating pregnancies, only an extreme emphasis on means of prevention (i.e. contraceptives, sterilization).

As to the comment about wanting to "exterminate the Negro population," it occurs to me that her thinking would've predated the Civil Rights movement and such racist remarks may not have been as objectionable as they are today. But also, I think it is true that much attention is still given to poor (often minority) people, who are most in need of education about birth control.

Becka:

Her position in 1932 in Plan for Peace was not a significant departure from her positions in 1925 when she gave the speech Children's Era. How do I know this? Because among the other sources I had cited were essays in Birth Control Review dated 1919 and 1921, as follows:

Quote:
Her broader motives at legalizing contraception can be seen from othr of her documented works.
Here are some more quotes from her own works:

1) p.2 of Birth Control Review: "The purpose in promoting birth control was "to create a race of thoroughbreds," she wrote in The Birth Control Review, Nov. 1921 (p. 2)

2) "More children from the fit, less from the unfit -- that is the chief aim of birth control." (Birth Control Review, May 1919, p. 12) -

Thus, it had always been her intention to eradicate the "feebleminded" and other "less savory" (my words) people, non-whites, the poor etc. and create a genetically superior race of people "thorougbreds" is her word.

So did she outright state that she wanted to force abortion on blacks prior to 1932, no. But she certainly supported sterilization of the poor, the feebleminded, etc (as noted in my earlier quotes) and this is along the very same continuum as requiring abortion.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#865413 - 12/04/07 05:40 AM Re: Man Accused Of Slipping Woman Abortion Pill Jokerman
Becka Marr Offline
Power Poster
Becka Marr
Originally Posted By: Tom Thumb
We're not debating whether abortion happens more than a million times a year in this country. We're debating whether it should.

And who should make that determination.

Return to Top
#865415 - 12/04/07 06:06 AM Re: Man Accused Of Slipping Woman Abortion Pill TheManofSteel
Becka Marr Offline
Power Poster
Becka Marr
So did she outright state that she wanted to force abortion on blacks prior to 1932, no. But she certainly supported sterilization of the poor, the feebleminded, etc (as noted in my earlier quotes) and this is along the very same continuum as requiring abortion.

In 1925 she stated three times in the same speech that she did not support government interference with parenthood; whatever purpose she intended by advocating birth control, she was arguing for individual self-governance. In 1932 she changed her tune and started advocating for government controls - the application of her ideas (which the Nazis did).

Yes, the same ideas could be used today to advocate forced abortions; but what Sanger advocated was prevention - in her utopia, there would be no "unwanted" pregancies to be aborted. And consider the implications of her position for the rest of the population - if people with "undesirable" traits were to be prohibited from having children, should those with "desirable" traits then be obligated to have children?

I would find it equally abhorrent whether any rule of law put women in the position either of being forced to have children, or forced not to have children.

Return to Top
#865447 - 12/04/07 01:36 PM Re: Man Accused Of Slipping Woman Abortion Pill Becka Marr
Yossarian Offline
Diamond Poster
Originally Posted By: Ms. Becka
Originally Posted By: Tom Thumb
We're not debating whether abortion happens more than a million times a year in this country. We're debating whether it should.

And who should make that determination.

Exactly. Big government (conservative-style) trying to get involved in the private reproductive decisions of women.

Return to Top
#865566 - 12/04/07 03:17 PM Re: Man Accused Of Slipping Woman Abortion Pill TheManofSteel
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Originally Posted By: straw
Ok, extend the analogy (or is it metaphor, always get those mixed up). Even if a person was transported without their consent and trespassed, would I still not be able to protect myself from the trespass.

Is that person who was transported to your prop against their consent or lacking knowledge, acting as a threat to you? I'd think so. That, I gather, is comparable to those specific instances in which the pregnancy is threatening the health of the mother.

If the person is merely standing on my lawn, don't I still have the right to take some action to protect my property. The threat they pose to me only goes towards the reasonableness of my action in protecting my property.

Return to Top
#865584 - 12/04/07 03:30 PM Re: Man Accused Of Slipping Woman Abortion Pill straw
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
who will adopt black children? do you see the heartland militantly pro-life crowd adopting them?

Return to Top
#865598 - 12/04/07 03:40 PM Re: Man Accused Of Slipping Woman Abortion Pill Hated By Some
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Are you saying that the pro-life croud are racists?

Return to Top
#865599 - 12/04/07 03:42 PM Re: Man Accused Of Slipping Woman Abortion Pill straw
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
i'm just asking a practical question. the statistics show that the vast majority of abortions are with black women so would the public be able to take them into their homes? and if not, would these people be willing to make them wards of the state?

Return to Top
#865601 - 12/04/07 03:43 PM Re: Man Accused Of Slipping Woman Abortion Pill straw
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Ok, extend the analogy (or is it metaphor, always get those mixed up). Even if a person was transported without their consent and trespassed, would I still not be able to protect myself from the trespass.

Is that person who was transported to your prop against their consent or lacking knowledge, acting as a threat to you? I'd think so. That, I gather, is comparable to those specific instances in which the pregnancy is threatening the health of the mother.

If the person is merely standing on my lawn, don't I still have the right to take some action to protect my property. The threat they pose to me only goes towards the reasonableness of my action in protecting my property.

Ok, so provide an analogy then. Let us see what the options are, given that person is within your property but not appearing to threaten you. What are your options via-a-vis a pregnancy?

Then, let us contrast that with the scenario in which the trespasser is an observable threat and draw an analogy vis-a-vis a pregnancy.

Return to Top
#865604 - 12/04/07 03:45 PM Re: Man Accused Of Slipping Woman Abortion Pill straw
Blade Scrapper Offline
Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage
yes

Return to Top
#865615 - 12/04/07 03:51 PM Re: Man Accused Of Slipping Woman Abortion Pill TheManofSteel
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw

Ok, so provide an analogy then. Let us see what the options are, given that person is within your property but not appearing to threaten you. What are your options via-a-vis a pregnancy?

Then, let us contrast that with the scenario in which the trespasser is an observable threat and draw an analogy vis-a-vis a pregnancy.

Isn't that exactly what we have been doing? Since I can't use less than lethal measures for a fetus, the analogy stops there.

And isn't that what has been set up for the abortion issue (albeit as a Constitutional right). Lethal measures are not allowed to be used when other alternatives are available. Abortion is limited past viability.

Return to Top
#865623 - 12/04/07 03:54 PM Re: Man Accused Of Slipping Woman Abortion Pill Yossarian
rainman Offline
Power Poster
rainman
Quote:
Exactly. Big government (conservative-style) trying to get involved in the private reproductive decisions of women.

Yes! Just like big government trying to get involved in the private gun ownership and handling decisions of citizens.

Return to Top
#865626 - 12/04/07 03:57 PM Re: Man Accused Of Slipping Woman Abortion Pill doobydoobydoo
Becka Marr Offline
Power Poster
Becka Marr
Originally Posted By: DoobyDoobyDon't?
similar perhaps to a game of poker where you can take all fo the necessary precautions and play "smart" but at the end of the day, you understand that by playing you will possibly lose and accept that outcome.

If you risk your life savings at the poker table and lose, is it necessary that you remain penniless? Is the autonomy which allowed you to make the choice to gamble not retained in order that you should be permitted a choice in how to handle the consequences?

Return to Top
#865629 - 12/04/07 04:01 PM Re: Man Accused Of Slipping Woman Abortion Pill rainman
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Originally Posted By: rainman
Quote:

Yes! Just like big government trying to get involved in the private gun ownership and handling decisions of citizens.

Poor rainman Shipping on your Madesen-Saetter been delayed by those mean ATF people again?

Return to Top
#865639 - 12/04/07 04:06 PM Re: Man Accused Of Slipping Woman Abortion Pill Hrothgar Geiger
rainman Offline
Power Poster
rainman
Even a single day's delay in the shipment is an infringement of my Second Amendment right!

(I'm kidding people!)

Return to Top
#865642 - 12/04/07 04:07 PM Re: Man Accused Of Slipping Woman Abortion Pill Blade Scrapper
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Originally Posted By: Swimware
yes

no, i was asking a practical question. apparently one that you (collective) are scared to answer or even think about. plus, we all know how you (collective) feel about spending money on others so if they are not adopted, how do we pay for them to live?

the issue is so much cleaner when you leave reality out of the equation. i mean, life-at-all-costs has such a ring to it. you (collective) must've taken too many philosophy classes.

Return to Top
#865646 - 12/04/07 04:10 PM Re: Man Accused Of Slipping Woman Abortion Pill Hated By Some
rainman Offline
Power Poster
rainman
Quote:
the issue is so much cleaner when you leave reality out of the equation

that's more irony than I can take at this hour

Return to Top
#865647 - 12/04/07 04:11 PM Re: Man Accused Of Slipping Woman Abortion Pill rainman
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Quote:

i think his point was that conservative government wanted out of all these things but yet ironically wants a state in somebody's actual body rather than conduct/materials.

Return to Top
#865648 - 12/04/07 04:12 PM Re: Man Accused Of Slipping Woman Abortion Pill rainman
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Quote:

please tell me what's ironic about what happens if abortions are illegal and we have babies galore?

Return to Top
#865649 - 12/04/07 04:12 PM Re: Man Accused Of Slipping Woman Abortion Pill Hated By Some
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
No, the irony is you asserting that someone is leaving reality out of the equation.

Return to Top
#865657 - 12/04/07 04:17 PM Re: Man Accused Of Slipping Woman Abortion Pill Hated By Some
rainman Offline
Power Poster
rainman
Originally Posted By: Ron Mexico
Quote:

i think his point was that conservative government wanted out of all these things but yet ironically wants a state in somebody's actual body rather than conduct/materials.

I got his point, ron. My point was that it's easy to be right (and smug) if you just assume your conclusion. The discussion in this thread has been about the implications on abortion if a fetus is accorded status as (or similar to) a person. A significant portion of the country believes that it's not exactly a "private reprductive decision" because it affects (or, to put it another way, kills) another person.

Return to Top
#865661 - 12/04/07 04:23 PM Re: Man Accused Of Slipping Woman Abortion Pill rainman
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Quote:

Because if those babies do not get aborted, then they end up in a van, down buy the river

Return to Top
#865664 - 12/04/07 04:25 PM Re: Man Accused Of Slipping Woman Abortion Pill Hated By Some
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Quote:

please tell me what's ironic about what happens if abortions are illegal and we have babies galore?

people act like adults and take care of their kids, and people that are going overseas to adopt children actually adopt children from here, people realize they have to take responsiblity for themselves? yep, a total disaster as women will be spitting out kids like Pez dispensers.

Return to Top
#865675 - 12/04/07 04:28 PM Re: Man Accused Of Slipping Woman Abortion Pill straw
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
No, the irony is you asserting that someone is leaving reality out of the equation.

funny, i didn't see anybody talking about adopting babies, particularly black babies. there seems to be many many children in orphanages. what are the waiting lists for exactly? wouldn't these lists get even mre daunting? where's the thread about adoption reform? and even if it is reformed, where are the black babies going? if you are trying to assert that reality is in the equation, i havent even seen it implied.

you guys are sure hitting the theory and principle pretty hard though.

Return to Top
#865681 - 12/04/07 04:31 PM Re: Man Accused Of Slipping Woman Abortion Pill Hated By Some
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude

funny, i didn't see anybody talking about adopting babies, particularly black babies. there seems to be many many children in orphanages. what are the waiting lists for exactly? wouldn't these lists get even mre daunting? where's the thread about adoption reform? and even if it is reformed, where are the black babies going? if you are trying to assert that reality is in the equation, i havent even seen it implied.

you guys are sure hitting the theory and principle pretty hard though.

So, lets kill 'em all, right Ron. And while we are at it, let's kill invalids, people with schizophrenia, the disabled, the homeless, the blind ...

Many of them are effectively adult orphans, simply outside of orphanages.

Return to Top
Page 6 of 12 1 2 4 5 6 7 8 11 12