Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#865102 - 12/03/07 08:03 PM A Forgotten, Persecuted Group of Iraqis
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
With all the talks of ethnic fighting amongst the Islamic factions of Iraq, this broadcast on 60 Minutes last night broke my heart. If anyone knows of anyway to help these folks, please post.

Vicar: Dire Times For Iraq's Christians
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/11/29/60minutes/main3553612.shtml?source=mostpop_story

Quote:
You'd have to be mad to hold a Christian service in Iraq today, but if you must, then the vicar of Baghdad is your man. He's the Reverend Canon Andrew White, an Anglican chaplain who suffers from multiple sclerosis and from a fanatical determination to save the last Iraqi Christians from the purge.

White invited 60 Minutes cameras and correspondent Scott Pelley to an underground Baghdad church service for what's left of his congregation. White's parishioners are risking their lives to celebrate their faith.

"The room is full of children, it’s full of women, but I don’t see the men. Where are they?" Pelley remarked.

"They are mainly killed. Some are kidnapped. Some are killed. In the last six months things have got particularly bad for the Christians. Here in this church, all of my leadership were originally taken and killed," White explained. "All dead. But we never got their bodies back. This is one of the problems. I regularly do funerals here but it's not easy to get the bodies."

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#865112 - 12/03/07 08:12 PM Re: A Forgotten, Persecuted Group of Iraqis Imagine
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
our percieved persecution here pales in comparison, no?

Return to Top
#865114 - 12/03/07 08:12 PM Re: A Forgotten, Persecuted Group of Iraqis Imagine
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Originally Posted By: Snow Miser
With all the talks of ethnic fighting amongst the Islamic factions of Iraq, this broadcast on 60 Minutes last night broke my heart. If anyone knows of anyway to help these folks, please post.

Vicar: Dire Times For Iraq's Christians
http://www.cbsnews.com/stories/2007/11/29/60minutes/main3553612.shtml?source=mostpop_story

Quote:
You'd have to be mad to hold a Christian service in Iraq today, but if you must, then the vicar of Baghdad is your man. He's the Reverend Canon Andrew White, an Anglican chaplain who suffers from multiple sclerosis and from a fanatical determination to save the last Iraqi Christians from the purge.

White invited 60 Minutes cameras and correspondent Scott Pelley to an underground Baghdad church service for what's left of his congregation. White's parishioners are risking their lives to celebrate their faith.

"The room is full of children, it’s full of women, but I don’t see the men. Where are they?" Pelley remarked.

"They are mainly killed. Some are kidnapped. Some are killed. In the last six months things have got particularly bad for the Christians. Here in this church, all of my leadership were originally taken and killed," White explained. "All dead. But we never got their bodies back. This is one of the problems. I regularly do funerals here but it's not easy to get the bodies."

Another interesting quote from that story:
Quote:
In modern times, under Saddam, Christians were treated much the same as Muslims; Saddam's right hand man, Tariq Aziz, was Christian.

Before the war, it's estimated there were about a million Christians in Iraq. They were a small minority, but free to worship, free to build churches, and free to speak the ancient language of Jesus, Aramaic. But, after the invasion, Muslim militants launched a war on each other and the cross.

Return to Top
#865116 - 12/03/07 08:14 PM Re: A Forgotten, Persecuted Group of Iraqis Pale Rider
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
Originally Posted By: Pale Rider
our percieved persecution here pales in comparison, no?

Sure does. We're complaining about the merits of a fantasy movie, while there are Christian who literally are kidnapped and killed for simply being Christian.

Return to Top
#865319 - 12/03/07 10:53 PM Re: A Forgotten, Persecuted Group of Iraqis Imagine
iAutomate Offline
Gold Star
Texas
Christians and Muslims are like oil and water. Christians are the oil, Muslims the water. Eventually, the fires of Christianity will burn hot enough to evaporate the hatred that is Islam.

How's that? Pretty good, huh? On-the-fly, even! Woohoo! LOL

Return to Top
#865324 - 12/03/07 10:58 PM Re: A Forgotten, Persecuted Group of Iraqis iAutomate
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Miser:

In no way downplaying the plights of Christain brethren in Iraq. It is very real. You can, however, go to the website of Voice of the Martyrs, which is a missionary organization that tracks Christian persecution worldwide. Alot of the Moslem countries openly and physically abuse Christians, deprive them of rights, jail them etc. Heck, the true Catholic Church in China in still underground (as opposed to the puppet national catholic church in China).

Return to Top
#865507 - 12/04/07 02:53 PM Re: A Forgotten, Persecuted Group of Iraqis TheManofSteel
waldensouth Offline
Power Poster
waldensouth
FINALLY ABOVE the gnat line
I received the Voice of the Martyrs newsletter yesterday. There is a great deal of suffering going on all over the world. Christians are being persecuted, tortured, and killed for their beliefs. If you can get your hands on a book called "Jesus Freaks" you can read the stories of some of these individuals. Heartbreaking and inspiring.

"We're complaining about the merits of a fantasy movie," - Mr. Miser I choose rather to send my money to those who truely need it - not waste in on a film designed to undermine my child's faith in God that these martyrs are dying for. Our children need to be strong in their faith - I see no conflict there. Is a child's fantasy movie the most important thing in life - no, but our daily decisions either strenghthen or weaken our children's faith. As I look around this world I am fully convinced that we must do everything in our power to strenghthen our kids' faith.

The parents in these muslim and communist countries have other worries for their children. Will their kids give in to the culture around them? be used as a pawn to get their parents to deny their faith? be tortured and killed for being Christian? will they starve because parents are in jail or not allowed to work? They don't have the luxury of watching movies - I would put money on the fact that this one will not be allowed to be seen in any muslim country.

- Frederick Douglass

My Opinion Only.

Return to Top
#865609 - 12/04/07 03:49 PM Re: A Forgotten, Persecuted Group of Iraqis waldensouth
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Way back earlier this year, I'd make posts about Christian persecution in the U.S., mostly with the intention of stirring debate, because what christians deal with in the U.S. is mostly of intellectual abuse (with rare exceptions).

But overseas, it is pretty rotten for people following Christ, and I mean physically, mentally, intellectually etc. In fact, the warning of Jesus (Father will turn against son, mother against daughter, I will cause division in families) is actually an observable reality in Middle Eastern, some African, and of course, communist countries. We do not realize how well we have it here.

In the U.S., I'd say persecution of a physical nature does happen to Jewish folks, not institutionally, but from bigots among the citizenry, though nothing near the pogroms that took place in western europe.

Return to Top
#865622 - 12/04/07 03:54 PM Re: A Forgotten, Persecuted Group of Iraqis TheManofSteel
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Originally Posted By: The Man of Steel
Way back earlier this year, I'd make posts about Christian persecution in the U.S., mostly with the intention of stirring debate, because what christians deal with in the U.S. is mostly of intellectual abuse (with rare exceptions).

But overseas, it is pretty rotten for people following Christ, and I mean physically, mentally, intellectually etc. In fact, the warning of Jesus (Father will turn against son, mother against daughter, I will cause division in families) is actually an observable reality in Middle Eastern, some African, and of course, communist countries. We do not realize how well we have it here.

In the U.S., I'd say persecution of a physical nature does happen to Jewish folks, not institutionally, but from bigots among the citizenry, though nothing near the pogroms that took place in western europe.

There is almost no physical persecution of Jews here in the US, unless you count property damage as physical persecution.

As for bigotry, I can't disagree there, but that is true for all groups and yes it is not anything like Jews have dealt with and continue to deal with in other countries.

But thanks for thinking of us

Return to Top
#865627 - 12/04/07 03:59 PM Re: A Forgotten, Persecuted Group of Iraqis straw
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Originally Posted By: straw
Originally Posted By: The Man of Steel

There is almost no physical persecution of Jews here in the US, unless you count property damage as physical persecution.

As for bigotry, I can't disagree there, but that is true for all groups and yes it is not anything like Jews have dealt with and continue to deal with in other countries.

Yeah, I was referring to property damage and also kids being beat up that often is missed by the larger media. That still does happen unfortunately.

Quote:
But thanks for thinking of us

Hey, its Hannukah after all

Return to Top
#865856 - 12/04/07 06:07 PM Re: A Forgotten, Persecuted Group of Iraqis TheManofSteel
trail hiker Offline
Gold Star
I also get Voice of the Martyrs. I was surprised to see 60 minutes cover Christian persecution. My one concern was the comment about it being worse after Saddam was removed. As if maybe we (the United States) are somehow responsible. Of course, I am sure it is true but there have always been areas of the world where Christians suffer tremendous persecution, torture and death. I hope someone else goes on to broadcast the plight of Christians in other Middle East countries, Indonesia, China etc. It is astonishing that in this day of political correctness and tolerance the Christians suffer such agonizing persecution simply because they profess Jesus as Lord - but then that is the way of the cross. Christ is a rock of offense to the world.
As Boler'slet's agree to "agree together" in prayer for the persecuted church:
For their strength and endurance under physical hardship,for their faith and commitment to Christ to grow only stronger and bolder, for their spirits to see the spriit world and the heavenly host that is near to them and for their witness to break the bondage of their persecutors. And, especially for the children, that God would hold them close and cover them with the shadow of their wings that they might be able to persevere until they break free of persecution or until God calls them home.

Return to Top
#865896 - 12/04/07 06:30 PM Re: A Forgotten, Persecuted Group of Iraqis trail hiker
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Trail Hiker,

File the note on 'post-Saddam' persecution under 'Unintended Consequences'.

Return to Top
#865914 - 12/04/07 06:47 PM Re: A Forgotten, Persecuted Group of Iraqis trail hiker
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: trail hiker
I was surprised to see 60 minutes cover Christian persecution.

Well, true - normally it's not on the approved list of topics. This time, though, they believe it can be placed at the feet of a Republican President. So, full speed ahead.

Return to Top
#865996 - 12/04/07 07:48 PM Re: A Forgotten, Persecuted Group of Iraqis Jokerman
trail hiker Offline
Gold Star
That was my thought as well.

Return to Top