Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#86609 - 06/09/03 09:16 PM The road to Omaha
LiL Bit Moore Offline
Platinum Poster
LiL Bit Moore
Texas
Wednesday night and Thursday we will be on the road to Omaha, NE for a showcase tournament for our 16/17 yr olds and will be catching some of the CWS finals! I am really looking forward to it and hoping that TX and/or Houston will be playing. Is anyone else headed that way or at least keeping up with the tournament?

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#86610 - 06/09/03 10:00 PM Re: The road to Omaha
LiL Bit Moore Offline
Platinum Poster
LiL Bit Moore
Texas
CWS - College World Series

Return to Top
#86611 - 06/09/03 10:21 PM Re: The road to Omaha
HRH Dawnie Offline
Power Poster
HRH Dawnie
Anchorage Alaska
Omaha has roads? I thought it was all tractor trails...go figure!

CRA Rating is in...Oh who cares...I'm home with the baby.

Return to Top
#86612 - 06/10/03 01:30 AM Re: The road to Omaha
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Quote:

Hey, hey, hey!!! Let's be nice. We have paved roads, well....one paved road (just kidding).

"The road to Omaha" is a college baseball term. The CWS has been held in Omaha for .... a long time (don't remember how many years). The NCAA has elected to leave it there after the fans agreed that Omaha was the best place to hold the tournament because of the great hospitality that the city puts out to all of the visitors.

Here's a link to the Sports section of the Omaha World Herald so that you can keep tabs on the CWS activities.

I hope you enjoy your trip to our great state. Be sure to take in a trip to the Henry Doorly Zoo - named as one of the top 5 in the U.S. It is right next door to the CWS Stadium. Enjoy!

Return to Top
#86613 - 06/10/03 01:46 AM Re: The road to Omaha
Ann Offline
Platinum Poster
South Carolina
GO GAMECOCKS! We beat North Carolina and advance to Omaha (again) to play Stanford.

Return to Top
#86614 - 06/10/03 02:10 PM Re: The road to Omaha
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Hook'em Horns! Wish I could be there!!

Return to Top
#86615 - 06/10/03 02:55 PM Re: The road to Omaha
Anonymous
Unregistered

We don't know our tournament schedule as of yet, but I am hoping to catch some of the Stanford game Friday night. Our boys are really pumped about their showcase AND getting to see the WS. This is one of the tournaments and opportunities that they (the boys) and we parents have worked hard for all of these years. All of our players have D1 potential and are entering their Jr year of HS, so this is an important and huge opportunity to be seen by some of their target schools. My son received his first major letter of interest last year as a Sophmore from U of H and a few other JuCo's. Unfortunately Rice beat out Houston in the Super Regionals, but Stanford and TX are also high on his list and Houston Street (TX) is pitching well. I am just hoping and praying that all of our guys do well and will learn that hard work and dedication do payoff! Wish us well and ......Hook 'em Horns! I'll try to have enough fun for both of us Z!

BTW David, whats the weather like? A woman has to be prepared you know!

Return to Top
#86616 - 06/10/03 03:05 PM Re: The road to Omaha
JulesB Offline
Gold Star
JulesB
A Designated Tree City in OK, ...
Quote:

Ha! Ha! My husband was born in Omaha and has several relatives that still live in the area. They even have a cabin up there (maintained by a historical society) that his ancestors lived in- something to do with being the first white settlers in the area back in the 1800's. David may have heard of it - The Gow Cabin. Can't remember if it is in Omaha or Bellevue . . .

My hubby moved to OK when he was 11, but I still haven't been able to convert him from being a Husker fan to a Sooner fan.

Return to Top
#86617 - 06/10/03 03:40 PM Re: The road to Omaha
LiL Bit Moore Offline
Platinum Poster
LiL Bit Moore
Texas
Sorry - the anon post above was me! I'm having one of those blonde days

Return to Top
#86618 - 06/10/03 04:04 PM Re: The road to Omaha
Go Royals Offline
Go Royals
Lincoln, Nebraska
Quote:

Not only do we have roads in Nebraska we even have cars. In fact the biggest debate in the state is over license plate design.

To those of you fortunate enough to get to go to the CWS I second Dave's recommendation of the Zoo the jungle and aquarium are amazing. I haven't been to the new desert dome or nocturnal exhibit but I'm sure they are high quality as well. I'm also extremely jealous as I've lived in Nebraska my entire life and have yet to get a chance to go It is a great event with players truly playing for the fun and love of the game.

Hopefully the next time Nebraska makes it I can go - and yes Texas fans there will be a next time we're not going away just remember who the Big 12 regular season champs were.

Return to Top
#86619 - 06/10/03 04:18 PM Re: The road to Omaha
LiL Bit Moore Offline
Platinum Poster
LiL Bit Moore
Texas
Our tournament is actually in Council Bluff.. wherever that is!? But, it is suppose to be close enough to get to the CWS. It just found our bracket on the internet, and our first and only game is at 8am Friday , BUT, that leaves the rest of the day for play - Standord/SC play at 1pm Friday !

My whole family is going and since our vacations are always centered around a ball tournament, I will plan to take my 11 yr old daughter to this zoo! Thanks for the info.....

There is a paved road from Council Bluff Sports Complex to the Johnny Rosenblat Stadium.... Isn't there ?

Return to Top
#86620 - 06/10/03 04:24 PM Re: The road to Omaha
Kansayaku Offline
Diamond Poster
metsuretsu
The only places I really remember from the time I spent in Nebraska are Offutt and the Bohemian Cafe.

I wasn't able to make it to the zoo. I am hoping to go there some day though.

Return to Top
#86621 - 06/10/03 04:24 PM Re: The road to Omaha
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Boy, you Nebraskans are really having to stretch to find sports to be proud of and lord over UT. Just remember who is at the CWS and who is working at their summer jobs now. Just kidding--the regular season championship is something to be proud of, but all anyone cares about is who is left at the top--and I hope it is Texas.

Return to Top
#86622 - 06/10/03 04:43 PM Re: The road to Omaha
Anonymous
Unregistered

Quote:

Council Bluff.. wherever that is!?

Quote:

There is a paved road from Council Bluff Sports Complex to the Johnny Rosenblat Stadium.... Isn't there ?

Council Bluffs is part of the same basic metro area as Omaha it is just across the Missouri river in Iowa. If you make your way from the sports complex (not a clue as to where that is) to interstate 80 you won't miss the Blatt.

Quote:

Boy, you Nebraskans are really having to stretch to find sports to be proud of and lord over UT

Actually, I'm not stretching for something, I really could care less about the football team at UN-L I've always had more fun making fun of them and the average Nebraskan's rabid devotion to them. I do however follow Nebraska Volleyball (one of the top programs in the nation), Wrestling and Baseball. The only reason I brought it up was a comment made by Texas a few years ago when Nebraska won the Big 12 tournament. Someone at Texas (I can't remember who) called the tournament trophy a doorstop and said the regular season was more important.

Return to Top
#86623 - 06/10/03 04:43 PM Re: The road to Omaha
LiL Bit Moore Offline
Platinum Poster
LiL Bit Moore
Texas
Z - As long as the offense keeps going and Street keeps on saving, they have a really good chance to go all the way! Last year Houston Street was named the CWS Most Oustanding Player, and Coach Garrido is now the winningest coach in DI history! Looks pretty good for the Horns - wouldn't you say!?

BTW - Let's hope Texans takes both tournaments this weekend! Go Texas Longhorns and Go Texas Mariners!

Return to Top
#86624 - 06/10/03 05:36 PM Re: The road to Omaha
LiL Bit Moore Offline
Platinum Poster
LiL Bit Moore
Texas
Don't know if anyone is interested or not, but our Road to Omaha Tournament standings will also be posted on the internet @ Road to Omaha 16U Standings

Our team is the Texas Mariners 16/Under. They have recruited boys from all over Texas - Tyler, Paris, Dallas, El Paso and some other places probably unheard of by most. It's a really great group of young men with a lot of talent!

Return to Top
#86625 - 06/10/03 06:07 PM Re: The road to Omaha
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Both the Big 12 regular season and the Big 12 tourney are doorstops when compared with the big prize in Omaha. If Texas loses, both Texas and Nebraska have doorstops. Thirty years from now a young baseball fan talking to a Texas or Nebraska player will not care about a Big 12 Championship ring--regular or tourney. If they see a national champ ring, even 30 years from now, they will be impressed. (Even more impressed if they see two.) GO HORNS!

Return to Top
#86626 - 06/10/03 06:28 PM Re: The road to Omaha
Little Sister Offline
100 Club
Iowa
Quote:

To those of you fortunate enough to get to go to the CWS I second Dave's recommendation of the Zoo the jungle and aquarium are amazing. I haven't been to the new desert dome or nocturnal exhibit but I'm sure they are high quality as well.

I third that...we just made a trip to the zoo a week ago with a group of friends and had a terrific time. The desert dome is excellent!!! I'm sure if anyone decides to go to the zoo they will have a marvelous time. They also have an Imax theater at the zoo which is also fun.

Return to Top
#86627 - 06/10/03 06:48 PM Re: The road to Omaha
Go Royals Offline
Go Royals
Lincoln, Nebraska
Quote:

Both the Big 12 regular season and the Big 12 tourney are doorstops when compared with the big prize in Omaha. If Texas loses, both Texas and Nebraska have doorstops. Thirty years from now a young baseball fan talking to a Texas or Nebraska player will not care about a Big 12 Championship ring--regular or tourney. If they see a national champ ring, even 30 years from now, they will be impressed. (Even more impressed if they see two.) GO HORNS!

I agree totally (well except that GO HORNS! part I just can't quite make that flow through my brain without it causing a near stroke - just kidding I only care that the tournament is fun to watch) It is, as the kids say, all about the Bling Bling - ooh I was almost hip.

Return to Top
#86628 - 06/10/03 07:47 PM Re: The road to Omaha
SMQ, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
SMQ, CRCM
Between the lines
Love the CWS. This is one of the items on my Lifetime To Do list. BTW, Go LSU!!!

Another item on the list is the Little League World Series. Time to start another thread.

Return to Top
#86629 - 06/18/03 12:56 PM Re: The road to Omaha
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Its now down to four teams: Texas, Rice, CS Fullerton, and Stanford, but Texas has to beat Rice twice to stay in it. Stranger things have happened, but beatin Rice twice will be tough.

Return to Top
#86630 - 06/18/03 01:45 PM Re: The road to Omaha
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Go Horns! (gotta root for the Big XII)

Return to Top
#86631 - 06/18/03 01:50 PM Re: The road to Omaha
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
The University of Texas athletics department has turned a triple play of success in the 2002-03 academic year never-before-seen in NCAA Division I-A history. This year, Texas became the first Division I-A school in NCAA history to accomplish ALL of the following in the same academic season:

» have its football program rank in the Associated Press final Top 10
» have its men's basketball program advance to the Final Four (began in 1939)
» have its baseball program advance to the College World Series (began in 1947)

Return to Top
#86632 - 06/18/03 03:13 PM Re: The road to Omaha
Starky Offline
100 Club
Starky
Arkansas
O.K., enough about Texas. I have to do a little bragging of my own. (I haven't had much to brag about lately)

The Arkansas Razorbacks won their 38th (not a typo) National Championship since 1984 in Track in Field over the weekend. (Includes: Indoor, Outdoor, and Cross Country)

I know most people don't follow track, but this has been a great run for our program.

Return to Top
#86633 - 06/18/03 03:18 PM Re: The road to Omaha
RR Jen Offline
Power Poster
RR Jen
Running and riding everywhere ...
I want to brag a little as well. Southwest Missouri State made it to Omaha for the first time ever! They lost over the weekend, but this was a great achievement for their program. Good job Bears!

Return to Top
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3