Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12
Thread Options
#865832 - 12/04/07 05:58 PM Does the U.S. tolerate anti-Muslim speech?
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
An interesting conversation, especially since there is a fury over the 'anti-Christian' theme of the book, and now film, The Golden Compass. Perhaps there is a double standard in America as to what religion one can bash and get away with the bashing.

Does the U.S. tolerate anti-Muslim speech?
http://thinkprogress.org/2007/12/04/does-the-us-tolerate-anti-muslim-speech/

Just for reference, here is the text of the First Amendment to the United States Constitution,
Quote:
Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.

While I do not agree with Mr. Savage, it is his Constitutional right to make these kind of comments. The problem is, and while I do not believe we are there yet, when individuals in power are warped by lessons of fear and hatred and want to prohibit the free exercise of the Islamic religion. As I said, that has not happened yet; but I'd be willing to bet that there are at least a few persons in power, as well as some of us here on BOL, who would jump at the chance to 'outlaw' the Islamic religion here in the US.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#865850 - 12/04/07 06:05 PM Re: Does the U.S. tolerate anti-Muslim speech? Imagine
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Can I have some of what you're smoking?

Return to Top
#865863 - 12/04/07 06:11 PM Re: Does the U.S. tolerate anti-Muslim speech? MB Guy
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
Originally Posted By: MB Guy
Can I have some of what you're smoking?

::hands MB a Marlboro Ultra Light::

Now, how about we discuss this?

Return to Top
#865893 - 12/04/07 06:24 PM Re: Does the U.S. tolerate anti-Muslim speech? Imagine
buggs Offline
Power Poster
Originally Posted By: Snow Miser
As I said, that has not happened yet; but I'd be willing to bet that there are at least a few persons in power, as well as some of us here on BOL, who would jump at the chance to 'outlaw' the Islamic religion here in the US.

I hope you're wrong about those of us on BOL. I for one, would never jump at such a chance. The stupidity of such a move would beyond the pale. (Sorry Pale Rider.) As Dan Rather might say... It would be like trying to keep ice cream frozen on a hot summer day.

What I think is more telling, is the fact that you even think that some folks on BOL would be in favor of such a ban. I think it says more about you than it does about anything else.

Return to Top
#866042 - 12/04/07 08:16 PM Re: Does the U.S. tolerate anti-Muslim speech? buggs
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
Bugs, I had one or two individuals in mind when I made the comment about some on BOL. I will not point fingers, but research some user's comments about Muslims and the Islamic religion here on BOL.

Return to Top
#866439 - 12/05/07 02:03 PM Re: Does the U.S. tolerate anti-Muslim speech? Imagine
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Frank - trying to pick a fight? I've not seen anyone on BOL advocate the outlawing of any religion. I'd like you to post some links that prove your point. I didn't find any in my search.

Return to Top
#866565 - 12/05/07 03:32 PM Re: Does the U.S. tolerate anti-Muslim speech? HappyGilmore
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
Grumpy, maybe I am trying to pick a fight. And no, no one here has advocated for the 'outlawing' of Islam as a religion. I never said they did. I said, based on reading some posts, that I'd bet some folks would jump at the chance. Look at the tone in this thread for starters: http://www.bankersonline.com/forum/ubbth...true#Post856349

Return to Top
#866567 - 12/05/07 03:37 PM Re: Does the U.S. tolerate anti-Muslim speech? Imagine
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
You know, I truly believe that it's totally not about outlawing a religion. Almost everyone (there are exceptions to everything) in the US just wants to live their lives in freedom and practice whatever religion they want. You cannot legislate against a religion in a free country, obviously.

I am sure the BOLLLOI will disagree with me for some reason....

Return to Top
#866575 - 12/05/07 03:45 PM Re: Does the U.S. tolerate anti-Muslim speech? Imagine
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Grumpy, maybe I am trying to pick a fight.

And maybe you'll post a week from now apologizing (again) for trying to pick fights.

Return to Top
#866591 - 12/05/07 03:54 PM Re: Does the U.S. tolerate anti-Muslim speech? Jokerman
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
MB, I agree with what you are saying. My original point, and I may have even perverted it myself in a 'Ron' like attempt to pick a fight. But, my point was that we complain and complain and complain about the 'persecution' of Christianity in the United States, but does this country turn a blind eye towards Muslim 'persecution'?
Last edited by Snow Miser; 12/05/07 03:56 PM.
Return to Top
#866605 - 12/05/07 04:00 PM Re: Does the U.S. tolerate anti-Muslim speech? *DELETED* Imagine
A_G Online
10K Club
Post deleted by AuditGuy

Return to Top
#866610 - 12/05/07 04:02 PM Re: Does the U.S. tolerate anti-Muslim speech? Imagine
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
I wouldn't want any religion outlawed. If I want freedom to practice mine, you should be free to practice yours.

Even if mine disagrees with yours, we should have the right to disagree.

Bombing and shooting each other over it, well, that's another matter!

Return to Top
#866616 - 12/05/07 04:05 PM Re: Does the U.S. tolerate anti-Muslim speech? A_G
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
I'll see it too, if I really want to.
No 'endless cycle' my "friend". You guys have your interests, some of us have ours. No need to come in and try and hijack or destroy a thread you don't 'like'. Just don't read it. And the constant, and uncreative, use of "..." is flattering! I'm glad I can entertain you guys!

Return to Top
#866641 - 12/05/07 04:21 PM Re: Does the U.S. tolerate anti-Muslim speech? Imagine
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Quote:
I said, based on reading some posts, that I'd bet some folks would jump at the chance.

pretty liberal interpretation on your part to come to that conclusion, at least from the thread you use as a poitn of reference.

We already have one Ron here, do yourself (and us) a favor and don't become another one

Return to Top
#866714 - 12/05/07 05:03 PM Re: Does the U.S. tolerate anti-Muslim speech? HappyGilmore
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
AG, I couldn't agree more.

Return to Top
#866717 - 12/05/07 05:04 PM Re: Does the U.S. tolerate anti-Muslim speech? TB 12
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
Thanks for the input Sox!
I would expect nothing else from you!
Thanks for adding something 'informative' to the discussion. Always a pleasure having such intelligent conversation with you!

Return to Top
#866725 - 12/05/07 05:08 PM Re: Does the U.S. tolerate anti-Muslim speech? Imagine
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Frank - isn't the last repsonse counter to the new you that you talked about in the counch?

Return to Top
#866729 - 12/05/07 05:11 PM Re: Does the U.S. tolerate anti-Muslim speech? HappyGilmore
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
Originally Posted By: HappyGilmore
Frank - isn't the last repsonse counter to the new you that you talked about in the counch?

Nope. The new me would let it bother me. But, heck if I can entertain the people around here and give them something to talk about in their PMs or give them something to read here in the Cooler, then I feel I am being productive and actually helping someone out! LOLoad.

Yes, I know that is crazy and irrational. BUT, heck crazy and irrational is the operating procedure in the Cooler these days. So, when in Rome...

Return to Top
#866734 - 12/05/07 05:13 PM Re: Does the U.S. tolerate anti-Muslim speech? *DELETED* Imagine
A_G Online
10K Club
Post deleted by AuditGuy

Return to Top
#866737 - 12/05/07 05:14 PM Re: Does the U.S. tolerate anti-Muslim speech? A_G
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
why does it have to get really mean?

Return to Top
#866749 - 12/05/07 05:18 PM Re: Does the U.S. tolerate anti-Muslim speech? *DELETED* kms
A_G Online
10K Club
Post deleted by AuditGuy

Return to Top
#866752 - 12/05/07 05:20 PM Re: Does the U.S. tolerate anti-Muslim speech? kms
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
blowing whistle and throwing down red card ok. enough. Let's play nice and get back on topic, please. Notifications have been received and we're watching for unnecessary roughness.

Return to Top
#866757 - 12/05/07 05:20 PM Re: Does the U.S. tolerate anti-Muslim speech? A_G
Becka Marr Offline
Power Poster
Becka Marr
Does the U.S. tolerate anti-Muslim speech?

Yes. That's what "freedom of speech" means.

Return to Top
#866773 - 12/05/07 05:34 PM Re: Does the U.S. tolerate anti-Muslim speech? Imagine
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club

Quote:
Nope. The new me would let it bother me

might I suggest you review the attached

good place to start

Return to Top
#866777 - 12/05/07 05:37 PM Re: Does the U.S. tolerate anti-Muslim speech? HappyGilmore
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
Originally Posted By: HappyGilmore

Quote:
Nope. The new me would let it bother me

might I suggest you review the attached

good place to start

Look Happy, the Cooler isn't the place for these discussions of my 'character' or 'lack of...'. If you or anyone else feels the need to address me, you can PM me.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 12 1 2 3 11 12