Learn More - Click Here!

Page 3 of 3 1 2 3
Thread Options
#86659 - 06/20/03 04:18 PM Re: The road to Omaha
LiL Bit Moore Offline
Platinum Poster
LiL Bit Moore
Texas
I agree Z - and with a one run win it could have gone either way!

Soccermom - being able to coach and manage the pitching is part of the game to me and the new format has forced them all to work hard at their strategy. I sometimes find it hard to swallow when someone kudo's the coach for winning when I beleive many coaches can take a really strong team and win and/or can also have a really strong team and lose because of bad coaching! I have more admiration for the team that wins because they have played well fundamentally and strategically because of the coaching staff.

Winning due to strong players is a lot of times short lived, but winning due to intelligent coaching of good players creates legacies! Just ask the Dallas Cowboys

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#86660 - 06/20/03 09:42 PM Re: The road to Omaha
SMQ, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
SMQ, CRCM
Between the lines
LBM - I agree and I am not arguing the merits of good coaching. What I am getting at is this, I like the idea of seeing the two best TEAMS go at each other where I can see which team is a more well rounded team rather than a "My pitcher beat your pitcher" approach. Before you say it, Yes, I conceed that you have to have a lot of depth in pitching to get to the championship game--but it is still a matter of "my pitcher had a better day than yours". With the series concept, the teams have to play good ball for at least 2 games against each other and we, the viewers, get to see the consistency factor in each team facing the same opponent rather than the different teams as is done with the bracket.

I totally agree with your comments regarding good coaching and bad coaching. Please forgive my run-on-ness.

Return to Top
#86661 - 06/23/03 02:20 PM Re: The road to Omaha
SMQ, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
SMQ, CRCM
Between the lines
OK, it's Monday and I will have to update my last post here. First of all, I was on the road all weekend and did not get to "see" the games. Therefore, I am pretty happy that they split so that I can watch tonight. Secondly, I did see the highlights (and low-lights). "and we, the viewers, get to see the consistency factor in each team facing the same opponent" I guess I should have said inconsistency---I just can't believe the errors these teams have made, routine throws (like pitcher to 1st base, a distance of 5 feet!!!) must be the fatigue factor showing up from being on the road for so long. Anyhooo, I will be ready to watch this evening and am hoping for a good close, interesting game.

Return to Top
#86662 - 06/23/03 03:58 PM Re: The road to Omaha
LiL Bit Moore Offline
Platinum Poster
LiL Bit Moore
Texas
I do agree with your post SMom and agree that a best of three can prove a lot more. I didn't get to see the games either, we were in another tourney this weekend in Dallas. I have seen more blown throws from pitcher to 1st base than I dare to say. It seems the routine plays cause more errors, because there is too much time to think! We lost a world series in Baton Rouge a few years back because of two overthrows from 1st to third - back to back! I think they get too cautious some times.

I sure hope Rice pulls it out tonight!

Return to Top
#86663 - 06/23/03 04:21 PM Re: The road to Omaha
SMQ, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
SMQ, CRCM
Between the lines
LBM - how'd you do in your tourney? I call those blown plays that should have been easy tosses, Chuck Syndrum, like in Chuck Knobloch. At least Rice and Stanford haven't thrown it into the stands ----- yet!!

Return to Top
#86664 - 06/23/03 08:49 PM Re: The road to Omaha
Bballfanofhld Offline
Bballfanofhld
Texas
I can't wait for the game tonight. Gonna have to tape it because watching my daughter play bball. Most of it will be able to see live. This site is fantastic for information and just chit chat.

Return to Top
#86665 - 06/23/03 09:27 PM Re: The road to Omaha
SMQ, CRCM Offline
Power Poster
SMQ, CRCM
Between the lines
Pam, I see you have one post. Welcome to BOL

Return to Top
#86666 - 06/23/03 09:38 PM Re: The road to Omaha
Go Royals Offline
Go Royals
Lincoln, Nebraska
OK prediction time for this evening: Let's see the owl is a bigger bird than a cardinal. However Stanfords mascot is really a tree and owls nest in trees meaning they sort of get swallowed up by a tree. Oh heck where's my magic coin.

Seriously though I think it will be Rice - I think they still have enough pitching (their closer is phenomenal) and timely hitting, and a destiny factor (First title in any sport!) Also, I wouldn't be surprised to see Nehmann (sp?) in a relief role for Rice much like Randy Johnson two years ago in the MLB world series - I'm not sure how many pitches he threw Saturday however.

On a side note I wouldn't recommend anyone with a college quality pitching arm go to Stanford - 350 pitches in 10 days is as they had yesterday's starter do is too many at that age or any age for that matter.

Return to Top
#86667 - 06/24/03 12:52 PM Re: The road to Omaha
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Yes, but Stanford's former mascot was an Indian (before political correctness) and I'd take a Native American over an owl any day. But seeing as Rice pounded Stanford 14 - 2 for their first national title in any sport, I guess I'll take Rice to win.

Return to Top
#86668 - 06/24/03 01:37 PM Re: The road to Omaha
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Quote:

Yes, but Stanford's former mascot was an Indian (before political correctness) and I'd take a Native American over an owl any day. But seeing as Rice pounded Stanford 14 - 2 for their first national title in any sport, I guess I'll take Rice to win.

Notice the timing of this post - after the game.

Return to Top
#86669 - 06/24/03 02:11 PM Re: The road to Omaha
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Well, duh David! Hence, the past tense word "pounded."

Return to Top
#86670 - 06/24/03 02:38 PM Re: The road to Omaha
David Dickinson Offline
10K Club
David Dickinson
Central City, NE
Quite a first inning - quite a game (if you're a Rice fan).

Return to Top
#86671 - 06/24/03 02:59 PM Re: The road to Omaha
Anonymous
Unregistered

I too spent time in Omaha 2 weekends ago. Was it your son's team members who kept setting off the fire alarm in the hotel where we were staying?

Great town -- had an opportunity to see Carolina play twice and Texas once. Great family place.

If you have a chance plan a visit -- Everyone is so hospitable.

Return to Top
#86672 - 06/24/03 03:52 PM Re: The road to Omaha
LiL Bit Moore Offline
Platinum Poster
LiL Bit Moore
Texas
Nope, uh-uh, no way! My son nor any of his friends would ever think of doing anything like that! Why they're just perfect little angels.... what hotel were you staying at???

Return to Top
#86673 - 06/24/03 04:07 PM Re: The road to Omaha
Anonymous
Unregistered

Club House Inn... By the way congratulations to your son's team.

Return to Top
#86674 - 06/24/03 04:58 PM Re: The road to Omaha
LiL Bit Moore Offline
Platinum Poster
LiL Bit Moore
Texas
Whew!! It wasn't any of ours then. Seriously, we have had our share of "hotel fun" in the past when they were younger, but now that they are a little older we just have to make sure there aren't any girls hanging around

Thanks for the kudo's! We are very proud of their accomplishments and hard work. Hope you had a great time also.

Return to Top
#86675 - 06/24/03 05:42 PM Re: The road to Omaha
zaibatsu Offline
Power Poster
Stanford (51-18), which overcame a second-round CWS loss to reach the final series and then forced a third game against Rice, lost in the championship game for the third time in four years. The Cardinal have won two titles, the last in 1988.

OUCH!!!

Return to Top
Page 3 of 3 1 2 3