Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12
Thread Options
#866779 - 12/05/07 05:38 PM Re: Does the U.S. tolerate anti-Muslim speech? HappyGilmore
TB 12 Offline
Power Poster
TB 12
Foxboro
Be careful, happy-someone has an itchy trigger finger for the notify button....

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#866785 - 12/05/07 05:44 PM Re: Does the U.S. tolerate anti-Muslim speech? TB 12
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Kinda hard to PM someone when said someone has nearly everyone on ignore.

Return to Top
#866786 - 12/05/07 05:44 PM Re: Does the U.S. tolerate anti-Muslim speech? TB 12
Retired DQ Offline
10K Club
Retired DQ
Turnpike Exit 10
Yes, please be careful, I am in no mood to babysit today.

Return to Top
#866801 - 12/05/07 05:58 PM Re: Does the U.S. tolerate anti-Muslim speech? Retired DQ
Truffle Royale Offline

10K Club
SECOND WARNING! No more pm/ignore/poking nonsence. If you can't speak to the topic, don't speak at all, ok? Third strike will be thread deletion.

There. Now you've gotten all the warnings you've asked for and you'll know why things disappear, ok? I've got work to do so please KNOCK IT OFF!

Return to Top
#866805 - 12/05/07 06:00 PM Re: Does the U.S. tolerate anti-Muslim speech? Truffle Royale
Blade Scrapper Offline
Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage
Does that mean no recess?

Return to Top
#866808 - 12/05/07 06:03 PM Re: Does the U.S. tolerate anti-Muslim speech? Imagine
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
Back on topic:
This is the article that the Think Progress blog post was referencing.
http://www.csmonitor.com/2007/1204/p02s02-usgn.html

Quote:
"My sense is that you could say anti-Muslim comments that you could never get away with, saying for example, as anti-Jewish comments," said Stephen Wessler of the Center for the Prevention of Hate Violence in Portland, Maine. "There's a much greater public level of acceptance of denigrating Muslims."

I don't think Mr. Wessler is wrong. How do we go about changing this thought process? Hateful speech is hateful speech. So how does one overcome it.

Return to Top
#866812 - 12/05/07 06:07 PM Re: Does the U.S. tolerate anti-Muslim speech? Imagine
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
By keeping your own nose clean and not citing hateful speech onseself, thus not further encouraging it. Also, not stirring the pot by painting with broad brush strokes and relating any valid criticisms to xenophobia.

Return to Top
#866816 - 12/05/07 06:09 PM Re: Does the U.S. tolerate anti-Muslim speech? TheManofSteel
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
TMOS, do you think there is a severe case of xenophobia in the US in 2007?

Return to Top
#866820 - 12/05/07 06:11 PM Re: Does the U.S. tolerate anti-Muslim speech? Imagine
Blade Scrapper Offline
Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage
Short answer, no.

Return to Top
#866822 - 12/05/07 06:11 PM Re: Does the U.S. tolerate anti-Muslim speech? Imagine
Becka Marr Offline
Power Poster
Becka Marr
Originally Posted By: Snow Miser
Hateful speech is hateful speech. So how does one overcome it.

By not engaging in it yourself. Hatred - whether it is directed at Muslims, Christians, Mexicans, Women, etc. - is a waste of energy.

Return to Top
#866830 - 12/05/07 06:15 PM Re: Does the U.S. tolerate anti-Muslim speech? Becka Marr
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
Swim, the short answer would not seem to be completely 'true' based on the poll numbers in the CS Monitor article regarding the publics sentiments on Muslims since 9/11.

Return to Top
#866835 - 12/05/07 06:19 PM Re: Does the U.S. tolerate anti-Muslim speech? Imagine
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
I would question the source of the poll...CS Monitor, while I'm sure a mighty fine publication, I wonder what their polling source pool is.

I would imagine that if it was a poll of it's readers, then yes, I would assume that you will have higher numbers fearing muslims.

Return to Top
#866842 - 12/05/07 06:24 PM Re: Does the U.S. tolerate anti-Muslim speech? Imagine
Becka Marr Offline
Power Poster
Becka Marr
do you think there is a severe case of xenophobia in the US in 2007?

xen·o·pho·bi·a - an unreasonable fear or hatred of foreigners or strangers or of that which is foreign or strange.

Severe case? I don't think so. And what we do see in the way of xenophobia I think has more to do with fear than hatred.

Return to Top
#866861 - 12/05/07 06:38 PM Re: Does the U.S. tolerate anti-Muslim speech? #Just Jay
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: bbsgrant
I would question the source of the poll...CS Monitor, while I'm sure a mighty fine publication, I wonder what their polling source pool is.

I would imagine that if it was a poll of it's readers, then yes, I would assume that you will have higher numbers fearing muslims.

Uh, you don't really know what the Christian Science Monitor is, do you?

Return to Top
#866866 - 12/05/07 06:40 PM Re: Does the U.S. tolerate anti-Muslim speech? Imagine
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
TMOS, do you think there is a severe case of xenophobia in the US in 2007?
No, but I think there is a severe case of equating reasonable discussion and reasonable dissenting views on certain issues with xenophobia. I also think applying the label of xenophobia to just such unfounded instances increases during election years.

Return to Top
#866869 - 12/05/07 06:42 PM Re: Does the U.S. tolerate anti-Muslim speech? TheManofSteel
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
Fair assessment TMOS. I'd hope that reasonable discussion and reasonable dissent be tolerated by all. Perhaps the phrase xenophobia is too easily tossed around. And perhaps it does happen too often in election years. But, I believe you're a listener, was Mr. Savage justified in his comments?

Return to Top
#866873 - 12/05/07 06:44 PM Re: Does the U.S. tolerate anti-Muslim speech? Imagine
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Are you refering to Michael Savage? I do not listen to him.

Return to Top
#866874 - 12/05/07 06:45 PM Re: Does the U.S. tolerate anti-Muslim speech? TheManofSteel
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
I thought you did TMOS, I apologize. Yes. The Mr. Savage referenced in the blog and the article is Michael Savage.

Return to Top
#866883 - 12/05/07 06:50 PM Re: Does the U.S. tolerate anti-Muslim speech? Imagine
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Michael Savage aka "Weiner" by the Great One, Mark Levin lol

Return to Top
#866885 - 12/05/07 06:52 PM Re: Does the U.S. tolerate anti-Muslim speech? Jokerman
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Originally Posted By: Tom Thumb

I do...what would you like to know about it?

Return to Top
#866932 - 12/05/07 07:18 PM Re: Does the U.S. tolerate anti-Muslim speech? Imagine
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Quote:
Look Happy, the Cooler isn't the place for these discussions of my 'character' or 'lack of...'. If you or anyone else feels the need to address me, you can PM me.

but it is the place for you to do the same to Sox?

Return to Top
#866948 - 12/05/07 07:30 PM Re: Does the U.S. tolerate anti-Muslim speech? #Just Jay
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: Tom Thumb

I do...what would you like to know about it?

I'd like to know why you think a disproportionate share of its readers have a fear of Muslims?

Return to Top
#866992 - 12/05/07 07:58 PM Re: Does the U.S. tolerate anti-Muslim speech? Jokerman
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Because even though in theory it is a non-denominational paper, it does have the support of a church, prints religious articles daily, is geared towards a christian crowd, often solicits subscription business in christian churches, I suspect it thus tends to have a more "christian" following, a following that may be more leary of those who take a more extreme view of God.

An extremely small group of radical muslims takes to the use of voilence and hate to deliver their message, and while this is not the approach of vast majority of muslims, it is the most publisized side that we see. It is not hard to imagine people would be leary of muslims based on the narrow view they see and hear about.

Taking it a step further, some "christian" churches, not all but some, will preach to fear not based on what they know, but what they do not know. I am not saying that this makes up the reading base of CSM, but I would make the assumption that they would very well be within the consistent reader group of CSM. This, if they are polling their readers, then yes, I would not be surprised that CSM readers poll would show a higher fear of muslims.

As I said in my original post, I stated that I assume and suspect, not know, hence why I am interested in the polling pool source.

Return to Top
#867138 - 12/05/07 09:20 PM Re: Does the U.S. tolerate anti-Muslim speech? #Just Jay
Blade Scrapper Offline
Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage
Uh, Christian Scientists are neither. I doubt they get much of a Christian following.

I would not consider 10% an extremely small minority.

Return to Top
#867143 - 12/05/07 09:23 PM Re: Does the U.S. tolerate anti-Muslim speech? #Just Jay
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Look, BBS, I'm not trying to be argumentative, but you really don't know much about Christian Scientists or this publication for you to have made the post that you've made. Seriously, look into it if you want to. The kind of Christians you are stereotyping won't touch the CSM with a ten foot pole.

Return to Top
Page 2 of 12 1 2 3 4 11 12