BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Thread Options
#867820 - 12/06/07 05:58 PM Romney Gets It Right
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
I can't believe I just said that, !
But in his speech on Mormonism today, and on the general topic of religion in politics, he gets it right on the money.

Romney: No Religious Test for President

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-wires/20071206/romney-religion/

Quote:
Republican Mitt Romney, confronting voters' skepticism about his Mormon faith, declared Thursday that as president he would "serve no one religion, no one group, no one cause," and said calls for him to explain and justify his religious beliefs go against the profound wishes of the nation's founders.

At the same time, he decried those who would remove from public life "any acknowledgment of God," and he said that "during the holiday season, nativity scenes and menorahs should be welcome in our public places."

In a speech less than a month before the first nomination contests, Romney said he shares "moral convictions" with Americans of all faiths...he strove to clarify his personal line between church and state, recalling a similar speech delivered by John F. Kennedy in 1960 as Kennedy sought to become the first Catholic elected president.

"Let me assure you that no authorities of my church, or of any other church for that matter, will ever exert influence on presidential decisions," Romney said at the George Bush Presidential Library and Museum, 90 miles from Kennedy's speaking site in Houston. "Their authority is theirs, within the province of church affairs, and it ends where the affairs of the nation begin."

He added: "If I am fortunate to become your president, I will serve no one religion, no one group, no one cause and no one interest. A president must serve only the common cause of the people of the United States."

Depending on the Democratic nominee, Mr. Romney is making me think the, what should have been, unthinkable!

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#867845 - 12/06/07 06:12 PM Re: Romney Gets It Right Imagine
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
1 mile from my office and they wouldn't let me attend, can you believe that!!!!

you had to be media, or a financial supporter, the local pubbie party officials couldn't even get a ticket!

Return to Top
#867850 - 12/06/07 06:14 PM Re: Romney Gets It Right Imagine
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Originally Posted By: Snow Miser
I can't believe I just said that, !
But in his speech on Mormonism today, and on the general topic of religion in politics, he gets it right on the money.

Romney: No Religious Test for President

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/huff-wires/20071206/romney-religion/

Quote:
Republican Mitt Romney, confronting voters' skepticism about his Mormon faith, declared Thursday that as president he would "serve no one religion, no one group, no one cause," and said calls for him to explain and justify his religious beliefs go against the profound wishes of the nation's founders.

At the same time, he decried those who would remove from public life "any acknowledgment of God," and he said that "during the holiday season, nativity scenes and menorahs should be welcome in our public places."

In a speech less than a month before the first nomination contests, Romney said he shares "moral convictions" with Americans of all faiths...he strove to clarify his personal line between church and state, recalling a similar speech delivered by John F. Kennedy in 1960 as Kennedy sought to become the first Catholic elected president.

"Let me assure you that no authorities of my church, or of any other church for that matter, will ever exert influence on presidential decisions," Romney said at the George Bush Presidential Library and Museum, 90 miles from Kennedy's speaking site in Houston. "Their authority is theirs, within the province of church affairs, and it ends where the affairs of the nation begin."

He added: "If I am fortunate to become your president, I will serve no one religion, no one group, no one cause and no one interest. A president must serve only the common cause of the people of the United States."

Depending on the Democratic nominee, Mr. Romney is making me think the, what should have been, unthinkable!

Will wonders ever cease??!!!

Return to Top
#867852 - 12/06/07 06:16 PM Re: Romney Gets It Right Imagine
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Quote:
"Let me assure you that no authorities of my church, or of any other church for that matter, will ever exert influence on presidential decisions,"

Quite an unbelievable statement...I suppose he will be governing from a vaccuum.

Return to Top
#867857 - 12/06/07 06:17 PM Re: Romney Gets It Right HappyGilmore
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
I will stick with Fred

Return to Top
#867859 - 12/06/07 06:17 PM Re: Romney Gets It Right TheManofSteel
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
Originally Posted By: The Man of Steel

Will wonders ever cease??!!!

Yup, they just did! LOL. While I like the Governor's stance on ending dependence on foreign oil and his support of increasing R&D at the Department of Energy, I cannot see myself voting for someone who supports drilling in our prestigious National Parks, an institution that was created by a Republican.

Return to Top
#867904 - 12/06/07 06:40 PM Re: Romney Gets It Right Pale Rider
Texas Boy Offline
Diamond Poster
Originally Posted By: Pale Santa
1 mile from my office and they wouldn't let me attend, can you believe that!!!!

you had to be media, or a financial supporter, the local pubbie party officials couldn't even get a ticket!

I actually got to shake his hand this morning. He was staying at one of our hotels.

Return to Top
#867919 - 12/06/07 06:47 PM Re: Romney Gets It Right Texas Boy
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
I am all for drilling in the parks and in the Gulf.

Return to Top
#867934 - 12/06/07 06:56 PM Re: Romney Gets It Right MB Guy
#Just Jay Offline
10K Club
#Just Jay
Cheeseheadland
Keep it clean and drill away.

Return to Top
#867960 - 12/06/07 07:11 PM Re: Romney Gets It Right #Just Jay
Nanwa Offline
Power Poster
Nanwa
Clintonville, WI, USA
Boy, how rare is this, Romney making sense, Thompson making sense, Huckabee making sense... Who do I vote for?

Return to Top
#867963 - 12/06/07 07:13 PM Re: Romney Gets It Right Nanwa
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
Count me as 'pro-drill' too. Keep it clean, build more refineries, and get on with it.

Return to Top
#867969 - 12/06/07 07:15 PM Re: Romney Gets It Right RR Becca
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
Is it just me, or does connecting the phrase "keep it clean" with the phrases "pro-drill" and "build more refineries" seem like an oxymoron?

Return to Top
#867973 - 12/06/07 07:17 PM Re: Romney Gets It Right Imagine
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Drill in the oceans yes. Stay out of the National Parks

Return to Top
#867976 - 12/06/07 07:18 PM Re: Romney Gets It Right Imagine
RR Becca Offline
Power Poster
RR Becca
out of the frying pan...
Originally Posted By: Snow Miser
Is it just me, or does connecting the phrase "keep it clean" with the phrases "pro-drill" and "build more refineries" seem like an oxymoron?

Now you're just trying to bait me.

Return to Top
#867980 - 12/06/07 07:22 PM Re: Romney Gets It Right RR Becca
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
Becca, honest to goodness I'm not! Besides, why would I want to fight with someone who has a kick butt music collection?

Return to Top
#868006 - 12/06/07 07:34 PM Re: Romney Gets It Right Imagine
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
In my opinion, it would be more dangerous to drill in the ocean /gulf than the parks.

I wish Dawnie was still here for this topic, she has firsthand knowledge of the oil industry in Alaska....

Return to Top
#868048 - 12/06/07 07:54 PM Re: Romney Gets It Right MB Guy
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
To me, it's not about danger drilling in parks, it's about taking away green space that people can get out and enjoy.

Return to Top
#868066 - 12/06/07 08:02 PM Re: Romney Gets It Right B_F
Blade Scrapper Offline
Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage
I have no problem drilling in ANWR.

Return to Top
#868090 - 12/06/07 08:18 PM Re: Romney Gets It Right HappyGilmore
Yossarian Offline
Diamond Poster
Quote:
I suppose he will be governing from a vaccuum.

Well, even if he did, his governing couldn't suck any more than the current president's!

Return to Top
#868098 - 12/06/07 08:25 PM Re: Romney Gets It Right Yossarian
FBH Offline
Power Poster
FBH
The Land of Tax Free Shopping!
Romney is my third choice on the Republican side after GOOGLE RON PAUL and Mike Huckabee. Ron's had a surge in donations! It may not be enough for the nomination, but he's deifnitely starting to influence the debate.

Return to Top
#868148 - 12/06/07 08:54 PM Re: Romney Gets It Right FBH
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
while we don't drill, especially down here in the Gulf, there are about 5 countries that are

Return to Top