Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#86874 - 06/10/03 07:33 PM loan covenants
Brandy Osborne Offline
Platinum Poster
KY
We recently looked at doing an unsecured loan for a customer and wanted to put in a loan covenant that stated that the loan would come due in full, immediately, if the debtor were to ever fire/stop using the services of his Financial Advisor. Mainly based on the fact that we know as long as this person uses the FA we will get paid on time. Both are good customers of the bank, and we have a lot of history with the FA (not affiliated with the bank at all). My question is: is this even legaly viable? Thanks

Return to Top
Lending Compliance
#86875 - 06/10/03 07:41 PM Re: loan covenants
Dan Persfull Offline
10K Club
Dan Persfull
Bloomington, IN
I'm just going to voice an opinion, if the bank requires this specific FA and something goes wrong, I would be concerned about "lender liability".

I think you could probably require that he maintains a FA acceptable to the bank, but I would be concerned about specifying the FA.

I would seek legal advice and also make sure nothing in your state law would come into play in such an arrangement.

I have nothing to base this on, it is strictly me thinking with my fingers.

Return to Top
#86876 - 06/11/03 04:00 AM Re: loan covenants
Andy_Z Offline
10K Club
Andy_Z
On the Net
I agree with Dan. If the FA ever stole money from the customer, who do you think would give it back? Too much liability and endorsement.
Rules and Regs minus Relationships equals Resentment and Rebellion. John Maxwell

Return to Top
#86877 - 06/11/03 12:47 PM Re: loan covenants
Brandy Osborne Offline
Platinum Poster
KY
Thank you. I thought/ hoped this would be the answer. I just needed some back up to prove my case to the lender.

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z