Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12
Thread Options
#868766 - 12/07/07 03:59 PM Re: Does the U.S. tolerate anti-Muslim speech? TheManofSteel
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
So you think a comparison of individual clerics to the heads of church hierarchies is a fair one?

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#868772 - 12/07/07 04:00 PM Re: Does the U.S. tolerate anti-Muslim speech? Hrothgar Geiger
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Considering that Islam does not have a supreme head, like a Pope, yes. Moslem communities are lead by their local Clerics. Again, I emphasize that this is not representative of all, or even most, Moslems.
Last edited by The Man of Steel; 12/07/07 04:03 PM.

Return to Top
#868776 - 12/07/07 04:03 PM Re: Does the U.S. tolerate anti-Muslim speech? Hrothgar Geiger
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
AMLB does raise a vaild point TMOS. Is that a fair comparison? I can point out so called 'Christians' who promote extreme fundamentalist views and you say they were not true 'Christians'. Fair enough. But why then allow folks to label Muslim extremists and fundamentalists based on the Wahhabist sect of Islam?

Return to Top
#868778 - 12/07/07 04:04 PM Re: Does the U.S. tolerate anti-Muslim speech? Imagine
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Miser, read the edit sentence add-on I made.

Return to Top
#868780 - 12/07/07 04:04 PM Re: Does the U.S. tolerate anti-Muslim speech? Imagine
A_G Offline
10K Club
Thaanks for callin', what's your question dear!

Great, great question...let's unleash the lawyers - Ron Mexico whattaya say?

Return to Top
#868782 - 12/07/07 04:05 PM Re: Does the U.S. tolerate anti-Muslim speech? Imagine
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
I guess I was under the impression it was the Iyatolla(sp)

consider me wrong

Return to Top
#868785 - 12/07/07 04:06 PM Re: Does the U.S. tolerate anti-Muslim speech? kms
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
Just saw it TMOS, we were posting around the same time!

Return to Top
#868787 - 12/07/07 04:07 PM Re: Does the U.S. tolerate anti-Muslim speech? A_G
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
Originally Posted By: Nancy Grace
Thaanks for callin', what's your question dear!

Great, great question...let's unleash the lawyers - Ron Mexico whattaya say?

LOLoad! We can have so much fun today if Nancy Grace comes in an moderates the political discussions here today. LOLoad!

Return to Top
#868789 - 12/07/07 04:08 PM Re: Does the U.S. tolerate anti-Muslim speech? TheManofSteel
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore
Originally Posted By: The Man of Steel

Even with your disclaimer; I disagree that the comparison of local Islamic cleric with the heads of other faith hierarchies is a legitimate one.

I think cleric to cleric is more appropriate, though it does permit comparing the statements of Pat Robertson, or Fred Phelps, for example.

Return to Top
#868790 - 12/07/07 04:09 PM Re: Does the U.S. tolerate anti-Muslim speech? Imagine
A_G Offline
10K Club
Now let me tell you something. As a former prosecutor, I have tried numerous cases with much less evidence and have convicted the felon...

Thanks dear!

Return to Top
#868800 - 12/07/07 04:13 PM Re: Does the U.S. tolerate anti-Muslim speech? TheManofSteel
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla

Quote:
Moslem communities are lead by their local Clerics.

Quote:
Again, I emphasize that this is not representative of all, or even most, Moslems.

so then what is your point? are you saying that a small minority of extremeists are who give islam a bad name that people like iautomate then ask ridiculous "questions" about? isn't it like the people like you who say "hey, pat robertson doesn't represent me!"

Return to Top
#868809 - 12/07/07 04:17 PM Re: Does the U.S. tolerate anti-Muslim speech? Hated By Some
A_G Offline
10K Club
Now. Wait. Just. A. Second Ron Mexico.

I am a vet-er-an trial lawyer...

Return to Top
#868813 - 12/07/07 04:18 PM Re: Does the U.S. tolerate anti-Muslim speech? Hrothgar Geiger
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Originally Posted By: AML-Barbarian

Even with your disclaimer; I disagree that the comparison of local Islamic cleric with the heads of other faith hierarchies is a legitimate one.

I think cleric to cleric is more appropriate, though it does permit comparing the statements of Pat Robertson, or Fred Phelps, for example.

Then what supreme leader in Islam would you compare to? And regardless, the greater point is that people with spiritual authority and the spiritual well-being of those entrusted to them are inciting them to what should be un-Moslemlike (and unChristlike) behavior int he extreme. Whether a local Imam, Sheikh, or an Ayatollah.

Return to Top
#868824 - 12/07/07 04:23 PM Re: Does the U.S. tolerate anti-Muslim speech? Hrothgar Geiger
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Quote:
So you think a comparison of individual clerics to the heads of church hierarchies is a fair one?

Fine, I'll repose the question to suit your needs/vision of fairness...

Please point out a clerical member of an organized religion who has called for the death of those who do not believe their Bible and/or teachings. (sorry boys, Pat Robertson doesn't count, as he is not affiliated with any organized religious organization).

And try not to use the all-encompassing "Christian" or "Christianity" as this word has been perverted by many a person who claims to be that, when in reality it is a label they are hiding behind.

Return to Top
#868825 - 12/07/07 04:23 PM Re: Does the U.S. tolerate anti-Muslim speech? TheManofSteel
Hrothgar Geiger Offline
10K Club
Hrothgar Geiger
Jersey Shore

Then what supreme leader in Islam would you compare to? And regardless, the greater point is that people with spiritual authority and the spiritual well-being of those entrusted to them are inciting them to what should be un-Moslemlike (and unChristlike) behavior int he extreme. Whether a local Imam, Sheikh, or an Ayatollah.

My point was that, lacking a 'supreme leader', comparisons between clerics and the 'supreme leaders; of other religions was inappropriate. You can go the route of comparing individuals to individuals, if you like. The greater point might be to look at the signatories to "A Common Word" to compare the words of other mullahs, imams, etc.

Return to Top
#868827 - 12/07/07 04:25 PM Re: Does the U.S. tolerate anti-Muslim speech? A_G
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
TMOS, if you cannot compare to a supreme leader is Islam, then Happy should not have attempted to make such a comparison.
Last edited by Snow Miser; 12/07/07 04:26 PM.
Return to Top
#868829 - 12/07/07 04:27 PM Re: Does the U.S. tolerate anti-Muslim speech? Hrothgar Geiger
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Another point would be, do you see many Christians following the teachings of the very few extreme/radical Christian "leaders" and killing people?

Let me save you time, the answer is no.

Return to Top
#868831 - 12/07/07 04:29 PM Re: Does the U.S. tolerate anti-Muslim speech? Hrothgar Geiger
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude

My point was that, lacking a 'supreme leader', comparisons between clerics and the 'supreme leaders; of other religions was inappropriate. You can go the route of comparing individuals to individuals, if you like. The greater point might be to look at the signatories to "A Common Word" to compare the words of other mullahs, imams, etc.

I think, if the "A Common Word" authors are in fact the identified leaders, officially or unofficially, then that would equate, yes. I'd also be far more hopeful if these religious leaders are representative of true Moslem thought.

Return to Top
#868832 - 12/07/07 04:29 PM Re: Does the U.S. tolerate anti-Muslim speech? HappyGilmore
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Quote:
sorry boys, Pat Robertson doesn't count, as he is not affiliated with any organized religious organization

what "religious" organization do the various al qaedas belong to? are they one?

Return to Top
#868834 - 12/07/07 04:30 PM Re: Does the U.S. tolerate anti-Muslim speech? Imagine
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Originally Posted By: Snow Miser
TMOS, if you cannot compare to a supreme leader is Islam, then Happy should not have attempted to make such a comparison.

Happy recognized that the leadership structure in Islam differs from Catholic and Eastern Orthodox Christianity.

Return to Top
#868844 - 12/07/07 04:34 PM Re: Does the U.S. tolerate anti-Muslim speech? Imagine
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Sorry there Frank, I was just trying to point out a flaw in your purportation, or seeking for you to provide proof otherwise...

Quote:
What is your opinion on Christian fundamentalists ,iAutomate, who follow the Bible word for word? Or Jewish fundamentalists who follow the Torah word for word?

of course, I've re-posed the question to better suit yours and Barbie's theories, but have yet to see either provide proof. And yo use your words, be cautious of using blanket generalization

Return to Top
#868845 - 12/07/07 04:34 PM Re: Does the U.S. tolerate anti-Muslim speech? TheManofSteel
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
The Barbarian has hit upon (wittingly or unwittingly, I don't know) 90% of the problem with extremist Islamic thought - there is no hierarchy to keep folks "on the reservation", to point out that so-and-so is outside mainstream Islamic thought...after all, what is mainstream and what isn't?

Islam needs a reformation.

Return to Top
#868847 - 12/07/07 04:35 PM Re: Does the U.S. tolerate anti-Muslim speech? Hated By Some
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Quote:
what "religious" organization do the various al qaedas belong to? are they one?

No one is speaking of Al Queda...try not to Mexico this up with your Ronisms...
Last edited by HappyGilmore; 12/07/07 04:35 PM.

Return to Top
#868852 - 12/07/07 04:38 PM Re: Does the U.S. tolerate anti-Muslim speech? Jokerman
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Quote:
Islam needs a reformation

do you think that the type of anti-muslim sentiment exhibited in this thread helps push them toward fixing the error in their ways or does it aid them in hunkering down to because the christian/jewish enemy is at the door?

Return to Top
#868854 - 12/07/07 04:39 PM Re: Does the U.S. tolerate anti-Muslim speech? HappyGilmore
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
Happy, I answered you question. So deal with what I said.
And you're right. No one here is talking about Al Qaeda. They are just trying to make it seem that the entire Muslim religion is akin to Al Qaeda!

Whatever, it is Friday. I have a long day. I'll be in the bar.

Return to Top
Page 9 of 12 1 2 7 8 9 10 11 12