Learn More - Click Here!

Page 1 of 2 1 2
Thread Options
#868957 - 12/07/07 05:44 PM Energy Bill Fails in Senate
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
An effort to require better mileage from U.S. cars and trucks failed in its bid for a full Senate vote Friday morning, 53 to 42. Opponents of the measure, which passed the House Thursday, had threatened to filibuster the bill, and its supporters could not muster the 60 votes required to bring it to a full vote. The bill, which was opposed by President Bush, would have ended some tax loopholes for the oil industry and used those funds to extend tax credits renewable energy sources. -CNN

this was passed in the house this week as moving the US towards energy independence - HAAAA!!!!!

taxing big oil is not going to get us off the Middle East oil rig! higher gas mileage in our gas guzzlers won't move us there either

WE NEED TO DRILL and BUILD REFINERIES and NUCLEAR PLANTS

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#868963 - 12/07/07 05:48 PM Re: Energy Bill Fails in Senate Pale Rider
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
how about finding alternative energy, pale? and not the thermodynamically-inefficient-though-politically-desireable kind.

Return to Top
#868996 - 12/07/07 06:05 PM Re: Energy Bill Fails in Senate Hated By Some
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
I am for moving ahead in an economical way on all fronts; but lets drill for oil before Mexico and the South American countries drain the Gulf dry of "our" oil

Return to Top
#869009 - 12/07/07 06:19 PM Re: Energy Bill Fails in Senate Pale Rider
QCL Offline
Power Poster
QCL
NW IL
Originally Posted By: Pale Santa
...and NUCLEAR PLANTS

Got one in my back yard, thank you very much!

Return to Top
#869028 - 12/07/07 06:37 PM Re: Energy Bill Fails in Senate Hated By Some
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: Ron Mexico
how about finding alternative energy, pale?

What is nuclear power not an alternative to, Ron?

Return to Top
#869033 - 12/07/07 06:40 PM Re: Energy Bill Fails in Senate Pale Rider
Yossarian Offline
Diamond Poster
Quote:
higher gas mileage in our gas guzzlers won't move us there either

Yes, actually it would. Why wouldn't better gas mileage help? It certainly did the last time we did it.

Return to Top
#869035 - 12/07/07 06:42 PM Re: Energy Bill Fails in Senate Jokerman
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
i know the navy possesses many nuclear powered vehicles but i'm not sure of any available to the consumer market.

(btw, i'm not against nuclear power at all.)

Return to Top
#869132 - 12/07/07 07:46 PM Re: Energy Bill Fails in Senate Hated By Some
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
So long as massive amounts of oil are being used to generate electricity, how would building more nuclear plants not be an alternative to that? Energy is fungible, Ron. And our transportation infrastructure can be fairly easily altered to accomodate it.

Return to Top
#869162 - 12/07/07 07:59 PM Re: Energy Bill Fails in Senate Jokerman
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
are you arguing for the sake of arguing? i'm all for nuclear. i support it!

i'm talking about changing the transportation infrastructure!

Return to Top
#869166 - 12/07/07 08:00 PM Re: Energy Bill Fails in Senate Yossarian
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
Originally Posted By: Yossarian
Quote:
higher gas mileage in our gas guzzlers won't move us there either

Yes, actually it would. Why wouldn't better gas mileage help? It certainly did the last time we did it.

how many years of using oil for energy did it add? Can we offset all the new cars in India and China being added each day.

Those pesky Chinese are adding, on average, a new coal plant each week

Return to Top
#869168 - 12/07/07 08:00 PM Re: Energy Bill Fails in Senate Hated By Some
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
What specific changes, Ron?

Return to Top
#869179 - 12/07/07 08:04 PM Re: Energy Bill Fails in Senate MB Guy
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
well first, j suggested that it was easy enough to change so i want to hear about his ideas for this and why he thinks that this hasn't been happening faster if it is so easy.

second, nuclear is but one way to achieve alternative energy.

third, politically, we need to move away from the whole corn ethanol thing. let's look at beets, etc. how about hydrogen cells? stuff like that.

Return to Top
#869193 - 12/07/07 08:11 PM Re: Energy Bill Fails in Senate Hated By Some
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
gotcha. how do you feel about drilling in the protected areas temporarily until we get the other resources more usable?

but, i totally agree that we need to ramp up r&d enormously.

imagine a world where we didn't have to rely on the middle east?

Return to Top
#869194 - 12/07/07 08:12 PM Re: Energy Bill Fails in Senate Hated By Some
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
yeah, lets look at sugar beets for fuel, the subsidies are so high already since it can't compete with cane, lets put even higher subsidies on beets and make the ppl buy that

Return to Top
#869205 - 12/07/07 08:20 PM Re: Energy Bill Fails in Senate Hated By Some
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
well first, j suggested that it was easy enough to change so i want to hear about his ideas for this and why he thinks that this hasn't been happening faster if it is so easy.

second, nuclear is but one way to achieve alternative energy.

third, politically, we need to move away from the whole corn ethanol thing. let's look at beets, etc. how about hydrogen cells? stuff like that.

How about anti-matter?

Return to Top
#869218 - 12/07/07 08:26 PM Re: Energy Bill Fails in Senate straw
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
yeah, lets harness the power of the black hole

Return to Top
#869222 - 12/07/07 08:28 PM Re: Energy Bill Fails in Senate Pale Rider
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
yeah, lets look at sugar beets for fuel, the subsidies are so high already since it can't compete with cane, lets put even higher subsidies on beets and make the ppl buy that

it was just an example that i've heard people throw out there. i'm up for any alternative to corn. i'm no expert on energy and chemical engineering but i have seen a number of unfavorable statistics about the thermodynamics of energy via corn.

Return to Top
#869224 - 12/07/07 08:28 PM Re: Energy Bill Fails in Senate Pale Rider
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla

it was just an example that i've heard people throw out there. i'm up for any alternative to corn. i'm no expert on energy and chemical engineering but i have seen a number of unfavorable statistics about the thermodynamics of energy via corn.

Return to Top
#869226 - 12/07/07 08:29 PM Re: Energy Bill Fails in Senate straw
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
care to elaborate on anti-matter as an alternative?

Return to Top
#869337 - 12/07/07 09:57 PM Re: Energy Bill Fails in Senate Hated By Some
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
are you arguing for the sake of arguing?

No, that would appear to be you, who first criticized Pale's call for more nuclear energy, then belittled it when I said it was an alternative, and now claims to fully support it. Whatever makes you happy, Ron.

Return to Top
#869344 - 12/07/07 10:10 PM Re: Energy Bill Fails in Senate Jokerman
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
Quote:
who first criticized Pale's call for more nuclear energy

well if i made it seem that way, i apologize. i dont remember belittling it, either.

care to answer any of the easy transportation needs that you alluded to? using oil for energy is one thing and nuclear is certainly a viable solution though not the only one. but 8billion gallons of gas/yr is a lot (it might even be more. i just remember hearing that figure somewhere).

Return to Top
#869364 - 12/07/07 10:23 PM Re: Energy Bill Fails in Senate Hated By Some
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
i dont remember belittling it, either.

"i know the navy possesses many nuclear powered vehicles but i'm not sure of any available to the consumer market."

Quote:
care to answer any of the easy transportation needs that you alluded to? using oil for energy is one thing and nuclear is certainly a viable solution though not the only one. but 8billion gallons of gas/yr is a lot (it might even be more. i just remember hearing that figure somewhere).

(a) You need to understand that energy can be utilized through a variety of interfaces. Gasoline is only one. Energy is also needed for a variety of purposes. Transportation is only one. (b) Even if you never move from an internal combustion engine for a majority of our transportation means, leaving that as the only energy need we meet with oil would be a massive improvement (remember, price is set at the margin). (c)(i) We already are close to economically feasible plug-and-charge vehicles; the rising cost of gasoline is only making them moreso. (c)(ii) To the extent that you are ever able to solve the hydrogen storage problems that me must overcome in order to move to a fuel cell solution for transportation needs, you're going to have so have some form of energy input to produce the fuel cells. Right now, nuclear is the best bet.

Return to Top
#869401 - 12/07/07 10:47 PM Re: Energy Bill Fails in Senate Jokerman
Hated By Some Offline
10K Club
Hated By Some
Somewhere vanilla
now was that so hard? and i was belittling you, not nuclear there.

Return to Top
#869408 - 12/07/07 10:56 PM Re: Energy Bill Fails in Senate Hated By Some
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
ok

lets pack it up people, the week is over, we have real people waiting for us outside of BOL

we can get back to solving the world's problems next week, its not like they are going anywhere, although I hear Reid is gonna call the Senate into session tomorrow on energy, er well really just to mess with Nobama and Opra in Iowa
Last edited by Pale Santa; 12/07/07 10:57 PM.

Return to Top
#869422 - 12/07/07 11:12 PM Re: Energy Bill Fails in Senate Hated By Some
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
now was that so hard? and i was belittling you, not nuclear there.

Translation: I got nothin'.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2