God Bless America!

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#868983 - 12/07/07 05:57 PM Re: Attack at Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941 °X°
RebekahL CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
RebekahL CRCM
Big Sky Country
Amen. Unfortunately, CNN doesn't feel the same way. They thought the Commodore 64 computer turning 25 years old was more newsworthy than remembering the 2400 people who perished in the attack 66 years ago. There is not one mention of today's significance on their site. How sad. Have we really become that shallow? God forbid.

Return to Top
#869026 - 12/07/07 06:36 PM Re: Attack at Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941 RebekahL CRCM
Yossarian Offline
Diamond Poster
Quote:
There is not one mention of today's significance on their site.

Let me help you:

CNN Pearl Harbor story

CNN News for students

Return to Top
#869065 - 12/07/07 06:58 PM Re: Attack at Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941 Yossarian
°X° Offline
Power Poster
°X°
WOOHOO
Originally Posted By: Yossarian
Quote:

Let me help you:

CNN Pearl Harbor story

CNN News for students

Geez - Yoss - I realize that you are an authority on all things CNN, but is there any way that I can get you to not, ever post to any thread that I create?

Return to Top
#869067 - 12/07/07 06:59 PM Re: Attack at Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941 RebekahL CRCM
°X° Offline
Power Poster
°X°
WOOHOO
On September 1, 1923, Japan suffered a devastating earthquake that killed 143,000 people. In a matter of hours the United States sent a convoy of ships with medical supplies and more than ten million dollars in aid. The Emperor sent a famous five word cablegram to the White House: "America, we will never forget." Eighteen years later, on December 7, 1941, Japan bombed Pearl Harbor, killing 2800 Americans. Japan forgot.

The tune, Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition written by Frank Loesser, became popular shortly after the Pearl Harbor attack on 7 December 1941. Below are the lyrics.

Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition

Down went the gunner, a bullet was his fate
Down went the gunner, then the gunners mate
Up jumped the sky pilot, gave the boys a look
And manned the gun himself as he laid aside The Book, shouting
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition!
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition and we'll all stay free!

Praise the Lord and swing into position!
Can't afford to sit around and wishin'
Praise the Lord we're all between perdition
and the deep blue sea!

Yes the sky pilot said it
You've got to give him credit
for a son-of-gun-of-a- gunner was he,
Shouting;
Praise the Lord we're on a mighty mission!
All aboard, we're not a-goin' fishin;
Praise the Lord and pass the ammunition and we'll all stay free!
Note:
The Chaplain Howell Forgy (Lieutenant j.g.), aboard the U.S.S. New Orleans, in the song is the "sky pilot" who was asked to pray for the men as they defended themselves, the military base, and their country. According to the lyrics, the preacher carefully places his Bible down while taking hold of the gun himself encouraging his men to defend their country and home. Praise the Lord and Pass the Ammunition - Copyright 1942 by Famous Music Corp., 1619 Broadway, New York City, NY

Return to Top
#869075 - 12/07/07 07:06 PM Re: Attack at Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941 °X°
Yossarian Offline
Diamond Poster
Quote:
is there any way that I can get you to not, ever post to any thread that I create?

What's that line from A Few Good Men? Oh, yes, "You can't handle the truth!"

Return to Top
#869077 - 12/07/07 07:09 PM Re: Attack at Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941 Yossarian
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Quote:
is there any way that I can get you to not, ever post to any thread that I create?

2nd most ironic post of 2007, after a few of Ron mexico's

Return to Top
#869093 - 12/07/07 07:23 PM Re: Attack at Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941 Yossarian
°X° Offline
Power Poster
°X°
WOOHOO
Quote:

I can, but I just don't like you. Besides, your view of the truth is just so effeminately strange, not just occasionally, all the time.

Return to Top
#869099 - 12/07/07 07:28 PM Re: Attack at Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941 °X°
Yossarian Offline
Diamond Poster
Quote:
I just don't like you.

Thanks. The last thing I would want is for YOU to like me.

Quote:
your view of the truth is just so effeminately strange

Maybe someday you'll graduate to the level where you can respond rationally rather than just being personally offensive. Or maybe not.

Return to Top
#869114 - 12/07/07 07:37 PM Re: Attack at Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941 Yossarian
RebekahL CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
RebekahL CRCM
Big Sky Country
Quote:

Let me help you:

[url=http://www.cnn.com/2007/US/12/07/pearl.harbor.ap/index.html?iref=newssearch]CNN Pearl Harbor story[/url]

[url=http://www.cnn.com/2007/LIVING/studentnews/12/06/transcript.fri/index.html?iref=newssearch]CNN News for students[/url]

Yeah, its amazing what you can find by doing a SEARCH! Is that how one must find a memorial for one of our country's most significant events?! Sheesh. I doubt FDR meant for this "Day That Will Live in Infamy" to only be so in the search engines. Why can't they put it on their homepage, along with the Commodore 64 and "Soap star sorry for leaving show" articles?

Return to Top
#869117 - 12/07/07 07:38 PM Re: Attack at Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941 RebekahL CRCM
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Rebekah, Yoss is just being his extraordinarily partisan self.

Return to Top
#869134 - 12/07/07 07:46 PM Re: Attack at Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941 Yossarian
°X° Offline
Power Poster
°X°
WOOHOO
Quote:
I just don't like you.

Thanks. The last thing I would want is for YOU to like me.

Quote:
your view of the truth is just so effeminately strange

Maybe someday you'll graduate to the level where you can respond rationally rather than just being personally offensive. Or maybe not.

I'd also say NOT - afterall, I'm having to view your wacky, cockamamie opinions - there is really no other possible outcome. You are not a rational being, you are the cooler Rational Mad Man. Grunting would be far more intellectually stimulating than the [censored] you’ve spewed out. No one buys into your failed opinions, but you post them over and over again. Failed, failed, failed. Well, at least you’re consistent. You have that going for you.

We can only hope that you get hit by a clue-by-four, big time.

Return to Top
#869138 - 12/07/07 07:48 PM Re: Attack at Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941 RebekahL CRCM
Yossarian Offline
Diamond Poster
Quote:
Yeah, its amazing what you can find by doing a SEARCH!

Your statement, to which I was responding, was:

Quote:

You were wrong, obviously. You were just as capable of doing a search before you claimed there was no mention on the site.

Return to Top
#869145 - 12/07/07 07:52 PM Re: Attack at Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941 MB Guy
Yossarian Offline
Diamond Poster
Originally Posted By: MB Guy
Rebekah, Yoss is just being his extraordinarily partisan self.

Interesting. She posts an obviously politically-tinged statement that turns out to be wrong. I post a correction, complete with proof. Yet you see ME as the one being partisan!!!!!

Judging by that, I think if you want to see "partisan" all you need is a mirror.

Return to Top
#869149 - 12/07/07 07:54 PM Re: Attack at Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941 Yossarian
°X° Offline
Power Poster
°X°
WOOHOO
Quote:

Quote:

You were wrong, obviously. You were just as capable of doing a search before you claimed there was no mention on the site.

Once again, you miss the point - one should not have to do a search on special days when special events have happened in the past - on a NEWS site - articles should be up front, first page, unless, as in this case, it's the Clinton News Network, extremely liberal and a bunch of commies.

Return to Top
#869150 - 12/07/07 07:54 PM Re: Attack at Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941 Yossarian
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Quote:

Quote:

No, you ******, you're wrong.

I just reviewed the entire first page off CNN.com and there is NO REFERENCE to Pearl Harbor, AT ALL.

Return to Top
#869164 - 12/07/07 08:00 PM Re: Attack at Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941 Yossarian
RebekahL CRCM Offline
Platinum Poster
RebekahL CRCM
Big Sky Country
Quote:

Quote:

Let me be completely right, then: There is not one mention of today's significance on any easily viewed, not-have-to-go-looking-for-it web page. My feelings are unchanged however. If you read my entire post, the clear intent of it is that CNN obviously does not feel that this is an important date. Old computers and sorry soap stars take precedence. THAT is tragic. Do you not agree?

Return to Top
#869169 - 12/07/07 08:00 PM Re: Attack at Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941 °X°
Yossarian Offline
Diamond Poster
Quote:
cockamamie
????

How old ARE you??? That term hasn't been in common use for decades!

Thanks again for the X tirade! It means so much to me!

Return to Top
#869176 - 12/07/07 08:03 PM Re: Attack at Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941 MB Guy
Yossarian Offline
Diamond Poster
Originally Posted By: MB Guy
Quote:

Quote:

No, you ******, you're wrong.

I just reviewed the entire first page off CNN.com and there is NO REFERENCE to Pearl Harbor, AT ALL.

I think you know better than that what the word "site" means.

Return to Top
#869217 - 12/07/07 08:26 PM Re: Attack at Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941 Yossarian
°X° Offline
Power Poster
°X°
WOOHOO
Quote:
cockamamie
????

How old ARE you??? That term hasn't been in common use for decades!

Thanks again for the X tirade! It means so much to me!

Well, it's - once again, history repeating as your lack of sanity called for that word, along with:

absurd, asinine, brainless, crazy, daffy, daft, dingy, dippy, doltish, dotty, fantastic, fatuous, feebleminded, half-baked, half-witted, harebrained, idiotic, ill-advised, ill-considered, imbecilic, imprudent, incautious, indiscreet, injudicious, insane, irrational, jerky, kooky, loony, ludicrous, lunatic, mad, moronic, nerdy, nutty, preposterous, ridiculous, senseless, short-sighted, silly, simple, stupid, unintelligent, unreasonable, unwise, wacky, weak, witless, zany, aberrant, absurd, brainless, crazy, delirious, demented, disconnected, disjointed, distraught, fallacious, flaky, foolish, freaky, incoherent, injudicious, invalid, kooky, loco, loony, mad, mindless, nonsensical, nut job, preposterous, raving, reasonless, ridiculous, senseless, silly, sophistic, specious, stupid, unreasonable, unreasoning, unsound, unstable, unthinking, unwise, wacky, wild, wrong, absurd, batty, bedlamite, buggy, cockamamie, cracked, crazy, daffy, daft, demented, foolish, harebrained, insane, irrational, kooky, loony, lunatic, mad, nuts, potty, ridiculous, touched, astonishing, cockamamie, cockeyed, doubtful, dubious, far-fetched, fishy, flaky, flimsy, harebrained, implausible, impossible, improbable, incogitable, inconceivable, incredible, kooky, lamebrained, outlandish, past belief, phony, preposterous, questionable, reachy, scatterbrained, screwy, staggering, suspect, thick, thin, too much, unconvincing, unimaginable, unsubstantial, unthinkable, and weak.

Now, I've repeated a few (especailly insane) - as it appears that you just don't get it - YOU ARE THE MOST UNPOPULAR POSTER HERE! With that said, please continue to post - it's much better to have you posting here than having you out is public scaring people.

Return to Top
#869269 - 12/07/07 09:01 PM Re: Attack at Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941 °X°
Yossarian Offline
Diamond Poster
Quote:
YOU ARE THE MOST UNPOPULAR POSTER HERE!

LOL! Well, there used to be posters named "Ray" and "Paragon" that were so bizarre and unstable they lost their posting privileges. You remember THEM, don't you?

Return to Top
#869311 - 12/07/07 09:33 PM Re: Attack at Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941 Yossarian
Dip Offline
Power Poster
Dip
San Diego, CA
So weren't we all thinking that Pearl Harbor shoudl be remembered....?

Back to the post...

I'm really glad I got to visit the USS Arizona when I was in Hawaii. I learned a lot abotu Pearl Habor that I didn't know before. I can't remember ever REALLY learning about it in history classes. that video I watched at the start of the Arizona tour was really interesting...probably the best part of the whole visit, since I couldn't see anythign under the water at the memorial itself...the water was too murky

Return to Top
#869370 - 12/07/07 10:25 PM Re: Attack at Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941 Dip
Don_Narup Offline

Power Poster
Las Vegas Nevada
Well I was a little guy but I remember it as the adults reacted so emotionally. Neighbors gathered in homes that had a radio to listen for the latest updates. (no not everyone had a radio back then)

I also remember listening to Roosevelt declare war as aunts uncles, cousins, grandparents and mom and, dad, who we knew would be called to fight, gathered around the radio to listen.

I remember the anger in the country against Japan and guys standing in line to sign up in the service to defend the us. Even seniors in high school and a lot of 16 year olds were signing up and stretching the truth in order to get in.

There were days of anguish waiting for news and it was all bad. EVEN CENSORED.

The civilian population was quickly organized and shortly we had local air raid wardens for every block and area in this country. Blackouts were enforced every night. Some nights there were Searchlight drills where an army plane was flown to see if the search lights could light it up for AA guns to track. As kids we loved those nights. Everything was started to organize home defences.

We lived in a town along the Mississippi river that was heavy industrialized It had an ammunication factory that quickly converted to making artillery shells. For years I heard the boom of the guns testing so many rounds out of each batch made.

The whole country participated and was expected to participate. Unlike today the US population went to war against people that wanted to kill us and our way of life, to win.

Return to Top
#869375 - 12/07/07 10:28 PM Re: Attack at Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941 Yossarian
°X° Offline
Power Poster
°X°
WOOHOO
Quote:
YOU ARE THE MOST UNPOPULAR POSTER HERE!

LOL! Well, there used to be posters named "Ray" and "Paragon" that were so bizarre and unstable they lost their posting privileges. You remember THEM, don't you?

Yes I do, but they were not unpopular, like you.

Also, they were not Banned because they were so incredibly stupid. I mean rock-hard stupid. Dehydrated-rock-hard stupid. Stupid so stupid that it goes way beyond the stupid we know into a whole different dimension of stupid. Trans-stupid stupid. Meta-stupid. Stupid collapsed on itself so far that even the neutrons have collapsed. Stupid gotten so dense that no intellect can escape. Singularity stupid. Blazing hot mid-day sun on Mercury stupid. Emitting more stupid in one second than our entire galaxy emits in a year. Quasar stupid. Nothing in our universe can really be this stupid.

Stupid continues to post to this day, and you of all posters know exactly what I mean.

Return to Top
#869386 - 12/07/07 10:38 PM Re: Attack at Pearl Harbor, December 7, 1941 °X°
Don_Narup Offline

Power Poster
Las Vegas Nevada
X I think I know what you mean and if so who you are. Many many years ago our paths crossed briefly when you were in Southern California.

Have no idea why you post here and don't really care but is it just fun to jerk chains?

Sometimes I think I do but we do it so much differently.

Return to Top
Page 1 of 2 1 2