Thread Options
#870352 - 12/11/07 03:39 PM Re: Mitt has gone ugly kms
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
Here is the letter I got today:

Dear Fellow Veteran:
With only weeks to go before the first ballots are cast in this unprecedented campaign, I am writing to thank you for supporting Fred Thompson and for your interest in helping him become the next President of the United States.
As a veteran, you know far too well the need for a solid Commander-in-Chief to lead our nation during time of war. Fred accumulated a vast array of experience inforeign policy issues and military affairs whileserving on the Senate Intelligence Committee. Following his tenure in the Senate, Secretary of State Condoleeza Rice tapped Fred to serve as Chairman of the State Department's International Security Advisory Board.
Having served in three wars I know of no better way to judge a person's future performance than by looking at their past performance. Fred Thompson is the most experienced and consistent conservative leader of the major candidates. That is why I'm honored to be on his team.

Last month, Fred rolled out his plan to revitalize our military in a speech at the Citadel entitled: "Four Pillars of a Revitalized National Defense" which you can review by clicking here. It is being widely hailed as a substantive and sound policy proposal. Fred's plan increases the defense budget to 4.5% of GDP and builds a "million member" ground force capable of handling peacetime and wartime missions without wearing out our troops or increasing the vulnerability of the United States.
Also, last month Fred received the highly-regarded endorsement of the National Right to Life PAC, an organization that carries a great deal of weight in the early states and is helping rally support around Fred as we come down the home stretch.
This is a critical time for our campaign. It is only now when people actually begin paying attention to what the candidates are saying in television and radio ads, direct mail and telephone calls. Fred's record of protecting our borders, defeating Islamic extremists, supporting tax cuts, his 100% pro-life voting record and his commitment to appoint judges who will not legislation from the bench makes Fred the clear conservative choice.
We are now only 24 days out from the Iowa Caucuses on January 3, 2008 and the campaign needs your help reaching voters and rallying support for Fred in Iowa!
The first step you can take to help Fred is to fill out Veterans Volunteer Sheet. Click here, print it, and kindly fill it out and return it via fax to Stephanie McNees at 571-730-1001. Please indicate if you are interested in holding a leadership position as a Veterans Coordinator within your state.

The second step for you to get involved with the campaign in a hands-on way is through the National Phone for Fred parties campaign on December 13th. Using the wonders of modern technology, you can host a phone bank in the comfort of your own home. I hope you'll consider hosting or attending a gathering. Please click here for more information on how you can participate.
A third way you can help is by joining local phone banks in Iowa by calling 515-276-9427.
Lastly, to get more information on where Fred stands on the issues, please click here.
The Veterans for Fred staff looks forward to working with you. Thank you for your commitment to Fred's campaign and for your continued involvement!
Sincerely yours,
Joe Repya
National Executive Director
Veterans for Fred
LTC,USA (Ret.)

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#870360 - 12/11/07 03:43 PM Re: Mitt has gone ugly kms
°X° Offline
Power Poster
°X°
WOOHOO
The thing is, the Hukster would be an easy kill for the democraps, he's a preacher - on the other side Hussein is viewed as a Muslim at some level - he looks like a Muslim to me.

I'm thinking the Dims would everything they can to get the weakest republican nominated. There is no doubt in my mind that they are actively working to see this happen. In fact, they would love to see nominated someone who they have some deep dirt on, who they can sink in the elections quite easily.

Return to Top
#870361 - 12/11/07 03:43 PM Re: Mitt has gone ugly TB 12
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
Originally Posted By: Sox in 07
I saw Mike Huckabee on Chris Matthews last night, and he was addressing his flip flop on Cuba and lifting the embargo. As Gov. of Ark, he endorsed lifting the ban so he could export rice there, but as a Presidential candidate, he feels lifting the ban would not be in the best interests of the country...interesting...

I can understand the difference between what is good for one state, and what is good for a a nation.

Return to Top
#870397 - 12/11/07 04:10 PM Re: Mitt has gone ugly B_F
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
I guess Mitt believes in going ugly early.

Bad actions in a bar, and bad actions in an election.

Return to Top
#870401 - 12/11/07 04:11 PM Re: Mitt has gone ugly B_F
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: RR Becca
swinging low.

Originally Posted By: Devil Queen
mud-slinging

Originally Posted By: kms
mud slingers...

sling the mud...

Originally Posted By: bbsgrant
not a smart Iowa strategy

Originally Posted By: MB Guy
I was really hoping they would rise about that type of activity.

I guess I'm missing something here. Is Mr. Romney lying? Is he criticizing Mr. Huckabee for something other than a policy position? If not, what's the issue? He disagrees with Mr. Huckabee's position, and says so - isn't that what elections are about?

Originally Posted By: Bengalsfan
I saw Mike Huckabee on Chris Matthews last night, and he was addressing his flip flop on Cuba and lifting the embargo. As Gov. of Ark, he endorsed lifting the ban so he could export rice there, but as a Presidential candidate, he feels lifting the ban would not be in the best interests of the country...interesting...

I can understand the difference between what is good for one state, and what is good for a a nation.

The point is that we expect leaders to put the best interests of the nation above narrow interests of particular groups. But, I am sorry to see Sox '07 resort to this type of mud-slinging.

Return to Top
#870406 - 12/11/07 04:13 PM Re: Mitt has gone ugly Jokerman
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Originally Posted By: Tom Thumb
Originally Posted By: RR Becca
swinging low.

Originally Posted By: Devil Queen
mud-slinging

Originally Posted By: kms
mud slingers...

sling the mud...

Originally Posted By: bbsgrant
not a smart Iowa strategy

Originally Posted By: MB Guy
I was really hoping they would rise about that type of activity.

I guess I'm missing something here. Is Mr. Romney lying? Is he criticizing Mr. Huckabee for something other than a policy position? If not, what's the issue? He disagrees with Mr. Huckabee's position, and says so - isn't that what elections are about?

Originally Posted By: Bengalsfan

The point is that we expect leaders to put the best interests of the nation above narrow interests of particular groups. But, I am sorry to see Sox '07 resort to this type of mud-slinging.

For our benefit, define mudslinging.

Return to Top
#870413 - 12/11/07 04:16 PM Re: Mitt has gone ugly Jokerman
Blade Scrapper Offline
Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage
Thats what i was thinking. Criticizing positions isn't mudslinging in my opinion. (and I would vote for Huckabee over Romney, so that is not a partisan statement) Mudslinging ads are like cartoons of Pres. Bush pushing old people in wheelchairs down the stairs or showing images of a pick-up truck dragging chains along the ground.

Return to Top
#870426 - 12/11/07 04:22 PM Re: Mitt has gone ugly Blade Scrapper
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Valid points.

Return to Top
#870441 - 12/11/07 04:29 PM Re: Mitt has gone ugly MB Guy
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: straw
For our benefit, define mudslinging.

I would consider mud-slinging to be (a) lying about someone's record, including dishonest portrayal of a record by taking parts of it out-of-context, (b) attacking something other than a candidate's record or agenda - for example, attacking Mr. Huckabee's Baptist faith, or mentioning the sexual orientation of a member of a candidate's family.

Return to Top
#870487 - 12/11/07 04:54 PM Re: Mitt has gone ugly Jokerman
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
or attacking Romney's mormonism?
What about someone bringing up Monica Lewinsky when discussing Hillary Clinton? Seems that would fit your definition of mudslinging?

Return to Top
#870511 - 12/11/07 05:11 PM Re: Mitt has gone ugly straw
Jokerman Offline
10K Club

That example came to mind because I didn't want to seem like I was in the tank for Romney (I'm not - he's probably not even in my top three; hey, that might be an interesting post).

Quote:
What about someone bringing up Monica Lewinsky when discussing Hillary Clinton? Seems that would fit your definition of mudslinging?

I think it would be inappropriate for a candidate to bring up another candidate's spouse's infidelity.

Return to Top
#870548 - 12/11/07 05:39 PM Re: Mitt has gone ugly Jokerman
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Agreed, but you know it is going to happen

Return to Top
#870550 - 12/11/07 05:41 PM Re: Mitt has gone ugly straw
Pale Rider Offline
10K Club
Pale Rider
under the Lone Star
yeah, and with the Clinton's daughter now out on the trail, she will be game for some mudslinging

Return to Top
#870566 - 12/11/07 05:55 PM Re: Mitt has gone ugly Jokerman
Blade Scrapper Offline
Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage

That example came to mind because I didn't want to seem like I was in the tank for Romney (I'm not - he's probably not even in my top three; hey, that might be an interesting post).

Quote:

I think it would be inappropriate for a candidate to bring up another candidate's spouse's infidelity.

Is candidate's infidelity fair game?

Return to Top
#870572 - 12/11/07 05:58 PM Re: Mitt has gone ugly Blade Scrapper
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
I don't think that fits J's definition, but I will leave him the final word on it.

Return to Top
#870640 - 12/11/07 07:04 PM Re: Mitt has gone ugly straw
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
In general, yes, but I'd say that length of time since the incident, whether it was an incident or a series of, etc., can move that issue up or down the "fairness" scale.

Return to Top
#870641 - 12/11/07 07:06 PM Re: Mitt has gone ugly straw
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Agreed, but you know it is going to happen

I don't think that's going to come out of a party or a campaign, just like any issues with the fact that Romney is a Mormon is not going to come out of a party or campaign. What people not tied to the campaign do is impossible to control.

Return to Top
#870643 - 12/11/07 07:08 PM Re: Mitt has gone ugly Jokerman
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH

The point is that we expect leaders to put the best interests of the nation above narrow interests of particular groups.

The job of a governor is to look at the interests of his state. The job of a president is to look at the interests of the nation.

The governors job is to find ways to improve his state, and sometimes that may not be good for people in other states.

Return to Top
#870644 - 12/11/07 07:09 PM Re: Mitt has gone ugly Jokerman
Blade Scrapper Offline
Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage
In general, yes, but I'd say that length of time since the incident, whether it was an incident or a series of, etc., can move that issue up or down the "fairness" scale.

I was thinking of Huma.

Return to Top
#870646 - 12/11/07 07:10 PM Re: Mitt has gone ugly B_F
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
This is not a competition - we're not locating a manufacturing plant in one location versus another - it's a right or wrong issue: whether trading with Cuba prolongs an evil regime. I'm sympathetic to both points of view - that we should or should not trade with them. But to switch it based on the interests of the group your representing (or seeking to represent) at the time is, in my opinion, wrong.

Return to Top
#870649 - 12/11/07 07:11 PM Re: Mitt has gone ugly Blade Scrapper
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Originally Posted By: Swimware

I was thinking of Huma.

What or who is "Huma"?

Return to Top
#870673 - 12/11/07 07:34 PM Re: Mitt has gone ugly Jokerman
Blade Scrapper Offline
Power Poster
Blade Scrapper
Outside A Garage
Allegedly Hillary's paramour.

Return to Top
#870720 - 12/11/07 08:07 PM Re: Mitt has gone ugly Jokerman
B_F Offline
Power Poster
B_F
Cincinnati, OH
This is not a competition - we're not locating a manufacturing plant in one location versus another - it's a right or wrong issue: whether trading with Cuba prolongs an evil regime. I'm sympathetic to both points of view - that we should or should not trade with them. But to switch it based on the interests of the group your representing (or seeking to represent) at the time is, in my opinion, wrong.

It's not a right or wrong issue. It's not that clear cut. It does matter who you're representing. In the interest of the State of Georgia, it's economics. In the interest of the nation, there is far more to it.

Return to Top
#870741 - 12/11/07 08:21 PM Re: Mitt has gone ugly B_F
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
So the State of Georgia doesn't care about human rights or national security?

Return to Top
Page 2 of 2 1 2