Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Thread Options
#871527 - 12/12/07 06:34 PM Fake Drivers License?
angels2mom Offline
Gold Star
angels2mom
Depends on my mood
I'm wondering how to authenticate a Drivers License from out of state. We know what the DL's from our state and the two surrounding us look like but we are trying to determine how to know whether the DL a customer from another state gives us is authentic.

For those that are wondering why we would open an account from another state. We will open an account for a new customer who is moving to the area with an out of state DL but they must provide us with proof of a local address...utility bill, receipts, etc. We also require that they supply us with a local DL when it is obtained.

How do you all handle a situation as this? Thanks for the help!

Return to Top
BSA/AML/CIP/OFAC Forum
#871538 - 12/12/07 06:44 PM Re: Fake Drivers License? angels2mom
Auditor247 Offline
100 Club
Auditor247
We use the ID Checking Guide as a tool.

Return to Top
#871595 - 12/12/07 07:22 PM Re: Fake Drivers License? Auditor247
John Burnett Offline
10K Club
John Burnett
Cape Cod
And I would be remiss if I failed to point out that the ID Checking Guide is available in the BOL Banker Store. Here's a link.
Bankers' Threads User #8

Return to Top
#872124 - 12/13/07 03:12 PM Re: Fake Drivers License? John Burnett
Damon Offline
Texas
Just another simple idea in addition to the ID verification book already mentioned. Some banks I have worked for before use black lights to see if an ID is real or not. A lot of States have security items on the DLs and IDs that will react under the black light. Some other items do as well like US Treasury checks (TAX season is upon us) and I believe Travelers Cheques and Postal Money orders do as well, but I have been away from the teller line a while now.

Just a few other ideas as well. Black lights are cheap and they work good on a number of things. Some banks have them at each teller station to help with this. But again, only if the states you are needing to verify have security features that will react to a black light.

Good luck

Return to Top

Moderator:  Andy_Z