Skip to content
BOL Conferences
Learn More - Click Here!

Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10
Thread Options
#871599 - 12/12/07 07:26 PM Re: Hypocrit Pols Were Briefed on Waterboarding 20 Imagine
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
Agreed, which is why we do not resort to torture. The restraint shown by those in authority in the U.S. is admirable.

Return to Top
Chat! - BOL Watercooler
#871603 - 12/12/07 07:29 PM Re: Hypocrit Pols Were Briefed on Waterboarding 20 Imagine
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
My belief is, and I'd like to thank Rev. Susan Brooks Thistlethwaite for the wording, is "if you are willing to let people go on using language like “enhanced interrogation techniques” and not confront them directly with the fact that this tortured rhetoric is a cover-up for actual torture and they are complicit in war crimes activity."

Torture Coverup: We Need a U.S. Truth and Reconciliation Commission NOW
http://newsweek.washingtonpost.com/onfai...eed_a_us_t.html

Return to Top
#871605 - 12/12/07 07:32 PM Re: Hypocrit Pols Were Briefed on Waterboarding 20 TB 12
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Originally Posted By: Sox in 07
Wow...I appreciate your honesty, but it scares me. That answer is what the terrorists hope for...

Or maybe the other answer is what the terrorists hope for. You sure.

Return to Top
#871611 - 12/12/07 07:36 PM Re: Hypocrit Pols Were Briefed on Waterboarding 20 TheManofSteel
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
Originally Posted By: The Man of Steel
Agreed, which is why we do not resort to torture. The restraint shown by those in authority in the U.S. is admirable.

Admirable enough for you to demonstrate that waterboarding isn't torture?

Return to Top
#871612 - 12/12/07 07:37 PM Re: Hypocrit Pols Were Briefed on Waterboarding 20 Imagine
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Quote:
Admirable enough for you to demonstrate that waterboarding isn't torture?

admirable enough for you to demonstrate that it is?

Return to Top
#871614 - 12/12/07 07:38 PM Re: Hypocrit Pols Were Briefed on Waterboarding 20 HappyGilmore
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
admirable

Return to Top
#871617 - 12/12/07 07:40 PM Re: Hypocrit Pols Were Briefed on Waterboarding 20 Imagine
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
You know, it sure seems to me that many people with a liberal bent cannot understand that in real life, many situations have grey areas and not everything is black and white.

Motivation and results matter in the real world.

Return to Top
#871618 - 12/12/07 07:40 PM Re: Hypocrit Pols Were Briefed on Waterboarding 20 HappyGilmore
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
Honestly, I am not afraid or ashamed to admit that I could not handle the psychological or physical effects of waterboarding. I would not want to subject anyone else to it either.

HOWEVER, if you 'proud Americans' who are willing to stand by the use of it for our 'safety' want to demonstrate that it is not torture and is just an 'enhanced interrogation technique', I'd be more than willing to side with your opinions of it.

Return to Top
#871620 - 12/12/07 07:41 PM Re: Hypocrit Pols Were Briefed on Waterboarding 20 MB Guy
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Originally Posted By: MB Guy
You know, it sure seems to me that many people with a liberal bent cannot understand that in real life, many situations have grey areas and not everything is black and white.

results matter yes. Motivation. Not so sure. Your motives suck, but you arrrive at a good result, does anyone care?

Return to Top
#871621 - 12/12/07 07:41 PM Re: Hypocrit Pols Were Briefed on Waterboarding 20 Imagine
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Originally Posted By: Snow Miser
I would not torture, and to me waterboarding is torture, because there is no guarantee that the information received due to the interrogations is truthful. Not to mention the moral implications of resorting to torture.

So the answer is no. I would not allow waterboarding.

I Thank God every day that there are people out there who will do the dirty work for those of us who don't have the stomach for it.

If everyone in the US were like you, this place would have ceased to exist many, many years ago.

Return to Top
#871623 - 12/12/07 07:43 PM Re: Hypocrit Pols Were Briefed on Waterboarding 20 MB Guy
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
And I pray to God everyday, MB, to forgive those who do 'the dirty work'.

And I doubt the US would have ceased to exist MB. Stop being foolish.

Return to Top
#871628 - 12/12/07 07:48 PM Re: Hypocrit Pols Were Briefed on Waterboarding 20 Imagine
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
I would not torture, and to me waterboarding is torture, because there is no guarantee that the information received due to the interrogations is truthful.

There's no guarantee that if you offer a snickers as a reward for answering a question that that information is truthful, either - so is offering a candy bar torture, also?

Return to Top
#871630 - 12/12/07 07:49 PM Re: Hypocrit Pols Were Briefed on Waterboarding 20 Jokerman
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
Originally Posted By: Tom Thumb
I would not torture, and to me waterboarding is torture, because there is no guarantee that the information received due to the interrogations is truthful.

There's no guarantee that if you offer a snickers as a reward for answering a question that that information is truthful, either - so is offering a candy bar torture, also?

Only if they're allergic to peanuts.

Return to Top
#871631 - 12/12/07 07:51 PM Re: Hypocrit Pols Were Briefed on Waterboarding 20 Imagine
Jokerman Offline
10K Club
Then please explain how that factor determines whether or not the practice is torture.

Return to Top
#871633 - 12/12/07 07:53 PM Re: Hypocrit Pols Were Briefed on Waterboarding 20 straw
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
Originally Posted By: straw

results matter yes. Motivation. Not so sure. Your motives suck, but you arrrive at a good result, does anyone care?

I believe it does, and I believe if you have good motivation behind your actions, MOST of the time, the results will be good.

Return to Top
#871636 - 12/12/07 07:55 PM Re: Hypocrit Pols Were Briefed on Waterboarding 20 Jokerman
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
Originally Posted By: Tom Thumb
Then please explain how that factor determines whether or not the practice is torture.

That FACTOR doesn't determine if it is torture or not. But are you willing to torture someone, and get false information? How would you be able to live with yourself?

Return to Top
#871637 - 12/12/07 07:56 PM Re: Hypocrit Pols Were Briefed on Waterboarding 20 Imagine
MB Guy Offline
10K Club
Way, way south.
And I pray to God everyday, MB, to forgive those who do 'the dirty work'.

And I doubt the US would have ceased to exist MB. Stop being foolish.

Foolish? Seriously, that wasn't called for.

Your reluctance to suffer for your freedom and country is what I am reading.

Many have suffered fates far worse than waterboarding, and Thank God they did, because if they didn't I know we wouldn't be here.

Return to Top
#871643 - 12/12/07 08:01 PM Re: Hypocrit Pols Were Briefed on Waterboarding 20 MB Guy
Imagine Offline
Power Poster
Imagine
In what instance, if people who took a moral high ground against torture were running the United States, would our society have failed?

I do believe that freedom is not free, but the cost of freedom SHOULD NOT be moral bankruptcy.

Return to Top
#871645 - 12/12/07 08:05 PM Re: Hypocrit Pols Were Briefed on Waterboarding 20 Imagine
TheManofSteel Offline
10K Club
TheManofSteel
Fortress of Solitude
In what instance, if people who took a moral high ground against torture were running the United States, would our society have failed?

I do believe that freedom is not free, but the cost of freedom SHOULD NOT be moral bankruptcy.

I guess we should not imprison suspected terrorists, whether it is as UECs or, if they actually do get a trial by jury, neither while they await trial nor if they are convicted. After all, depriving them of their freedom is torture. They may see it as such.

We should also not utilize any military, paramilitary, or police action aganis organized terrorists either, because the use of any weaponry resulting in physical harm and/or psychological fear may be deemed as torture, since after all, it does cause suffering.
Last edited by The Man of Steel; 12/12/07 08:06 PM.

Return to Top
#871649 - 12/12/07 08:13 PM Re: Hypocrit Pols Were Briefed on Waterboarding 20 Imagine
HappyGilmore Offline
10K Club
Pulling people out of the ditc...
Quote:
I do believe that freedom is not free, but the cost of freedom SHOULD NOT be moral bankruptcy

you are so full of yourself

So, Frank, your parents have been kidnapped, as well as your wife and children. They will be killed at midnight. The CIA, at 11:00 PM, finds one of the kidnappers going our for pizza to feed his crew. They have the ability to extract information on the whereabout of your family, but it will involve methods that may be against the geneva convention, and what some would call torture.

Simple yes or no answer, do you say extract that information at all costs? Or do you allow your family to die?

Return to Top
#871650 - 12/12/07 08:15 PM Re: Hypocrit Pols Were Briefed on Waterboarding 20 MB Guy
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Originally Posted By: straw

I believe it does, and I believe if you have good motivation behind your actions, MOST of the time, the results will be good.

Mengale believed his motivations were good and would do improve science.

Return to Top
#871651 - 12/12/07 08:15 PM Re: Hypocrit Pols Were Briefed on Waterboarding 20 TheManofSteel
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
Snow, there is one thing I think you keep forgetting, This is WAR! Not peacetime, and unless we want this was moved to our grounds we need to do whatever necessary to keep it that way. We got hit at pearl harbor and on 9/11. We don't want that to happen again and will do what it takes to keep it that way.

Return to Top
#871655 - 12/12/07 08:17 PM Re: Hypocrit Pols Were Briefed on Waterboarding 20 HappyGilmore
straw Offline
Power Poster
straw
Originally Posted By: JollyGilmore
Quote:
I do believe that freedom is not free, but the cost of freedom SHOULD NOT be moral bankruptcy

you are so full of yourself

So, Frank, your parents have been kidnapped, as well as your wife and children. They will be killed at midnight. The CIA, at 11:00 PM, finds one of the kidnappers going our for pizza to feed his crew. They have the ability to extract information on the whereabout of your family, but it will involve methods that may be against the geneva convention, and what some would call torture.

Simple yes or no answer, do you say extract that information at all costs? Or do you allow your family to die?

Is Frank the President and stating that US policy is to torture captives? Simple yes or no.

Return to Top
#871656 - 12/12/07 08:18 PM Re: Hypocrit Pols Were Briefed on Waterboarding 20 kms
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
Ever see red dawn? Want that reality? Only they woulddn't be speaking russian. Or maybe thet would because once in a weakened state, who knows who would join in. I just think that you are too you/naive to think that that won't happen to us.

Return to Top
#871658 - 12/12/07 08:19 PM Re: Hypocrit Pols Were Briefed on Waterboarding 20 kms
kms Offline
Power Poster
kms
God Bless America
"Mengale believed his motivations were good and would do improve science."

Oh but he wasn't a good example of someone who enjoyed the torture when I brought it up?

Return to Top
Page 4 of 10 1 2 3 4 5 6 9 10